Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hirono vs. Hogue

With Akaka win, attention turns to Hirono-Hogue
    Mazie Hirono and supporters of the 2nd Congressional District Democratic nominee will try to paint Republican winner Bob Hogue as a "nice guy" closely aligned with President Bush, while GOP faithful will hammer on the point that at least one of the four people Hawai'i sends to Congress should be with the majority. Those will apparently be the major themes the two parties will seek to convey as they try to shake off the divisiveness of hotly contested primary fights and present uniform fronts for their standard bearers in the Nov. 7 general election to replace Ed Case in the U.S. House.
    Does Hogue have a chance at all? I'm not a fan of Hirono, and know Hogue enough to be comfortable with him in office, and (unlike some other races) can see possibly casting a ballot for him. But it still seems like a long shot.

We haven't seen enough from these two candidates specifically (and of their take on their new general election opponents), so perhaps it's too early to say. But I'd love to hear your thoughts.
    Mazie K. Hirono (D)
    35.29%
    Robert K. Wilcox IV (N)
    11.76%
    Bob Hogue (R)
    35.29%
    Undecided/none of the above.
    17.65%

Re: Hirono vs. Hogue

For all the awesome choices and colorful people we had on the ballot, we get one piece of cellophane on the dem ticket and a newscaster on the repub ticket.

<---that's the "hurl" icon, in case you were wondering.

Frick. Hirono cannot scrap. I would have rathered Menor (smart man. Gas cap? Mahalo for trying) or Hee (he might have the ethics of a <insert negative noun here>, but we need @ssholes in the House) or Hanabusa (if I could get over her vote against Bronster, I could respect the tita from the leeward side).

pax

Comment

Tita Pua'i Mana'o, You make me SMILE so BIG today. You just tell it like is my Dear. Yeehaaaaa!

Too Funny.

Auntie Lynn
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I ran on the @$$hole ticket for HI County Council Dist 6. Was ready to take on Hilo with a longshoreman's vocabulary and a news-reporter by my side at all times to chronicle the shenanigans on the "Old Boys".

Voters wanted no part of that. Too many of them are either in the "network" or dependent on the government in some way.

Voters in Hawaii will reject rightousness if it is perceived as arrogant logic.
        FutureNewsNetwork.com
        Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona

Voters in Hawaii will reject rightousness if it is perceived as arrogant logic.
          This might be the smartest thing you have ever said here, Tim. Is the righteousness of the message important enough that arrogant logic can be deferred during delivery? How does one get the point across?

pax

Comment

The root cause is desperate Xenophobia, which is culturally ingrained in Hawaii, probably from the overthrow.

The fear of new, better, or different ideas, and the rejection of the people who bring those ideas, is the historical downfall of cultures and societies throughout history.

"Eh brah, we don't care how you do it where you from. We got our ways."

I am more comfortable with this reality than ever in the last 15 years of living here. I have given up trying, and that is a relief. No need to kill the messenger anymore.
            FutureNewsNetwork.com
            Energy answers are already here.

Comment

This election is over. Hirono will beat Hogue by a longshot. Ethnic politics guarantees it.

End of thread.

Comment

Originally posted by kamuelakea
                This election is over. Hirono will beat Hogue by a longshot. Ethnic politics guarantees it.

End of thread.
                (cough,cough) Das wat was said about Hirono and Lingle. Remember?

Hogue gets my VOTE!

I'm fond of Journalists!!!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                  I'm fond of Journalists!!
                  That makes... two of us! Well, actually, I'm not fond of journalists going into politics, but TV journalists don't count... heh heh.

I'd love to see a live unscripted debate between Hirono and Hogue. But if Hirono is at least as smart as people think she is (which isn't saying much), she'll brush off those requests like Akaka did to Case. At first.

Comment

Auntie Lynn
                    Hi Aunty,

Yeah some said that. I wouldn't predict that election cuz I thought it was too close. But my hunch was that Lingle would win it UNLESS a good smear campaign was successful. Without the smear campaign (they tried the lesbian, jew, cutter ford, mainland business etc but none stuck), I wasn't surprised that Lingle won.

But Lingle and Hogue are 2 different birds. Hawaii wanted change in 2000.

Lingle is Haole but she got exceptions.
                    1) She's not married to a Haole man. If she was, she would have lost.
                    2) She lived on Molokai for years and developed an appreciation and respect for that which is "Hawaiian".
                    3) She is a woman with a "softer and gentler" very un-Haole personality.
                    4) She genuinely seems to like people when you watch her interact.

One of the local reporters did a write up on Akaka vs. Case and in it discussed which guy would you be more likely to hug and kiss when you meet him. Everyone agrees it's Akaka. That's the kind of thing that can make a difference in Hawaii's voters beyond just the ethnicity factor.

I don't know alot about Hogue. He seems like a nice guy. At this point I'ld vote for him over Hirono. But Hogue is a Haole Republican running in the Plantation Asian District. He cannot win.

Comment

I don't like Hirono she comes OFF as being Phoney Baloney. Not from Da heart. As far as Hogue is concern...I dunno him too. Being Haole no mean jack shit (oops!) to me. I don't Vote on Color or Ethnic background. I Vote on gut feelings on how I feel about a person and also doing homework on what they stand for.

Yeah, Hogue gets my Vote. I hope he gets in.

The more I think of Hirono...my hairs stand up.

Auntie Lynn
                      Last edited by 1stwahine; September 25, 2006, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kamuelakea

Lingle is Haole but she got exceptions.
                        1) She's not married to a Haole man. If she was, she would have lost.
                        2) She lived on Molokai for years and developed an appreciation and respect for that which is "Hawaiian".
                        3) She is a woman with a "softer and gentler" very un-Haole personality.
                        4) She genuinely seems to like people when you watch her interact.
                        Waitaminit...a couple of facts here. LL was *brutalized* through her two races (against Cayetano and then against Hirono). I heard so much crap about her being a lesbian. Her haoleness was a handicap and I couldn't find many Hawaiians who liked her.

What went in her favor were the teachers' and UH professors' strikes that hit Hawaii hard back in 2001 (if I think about that long enough, I can still get pissed off).

Cayetano, jerkhead that he is, still had a spine. Hirono is more unforgivable; she is rice paper. Cellophane noodles. Pretty in her red power™ blazer (thank you, Macy's and Eileen Fisher) adorned with a tasteful lei 'ilima or kika. But no ovaries.

And we are gonna send her to the House? She's no Patsy Mink, imo.

Lingle is polished, but not warm. Considering buy not friendly. She smiles but she's still a politician. A true centaur. On the top, centaurs appear civilized with the body of a mighty hunter. But when you get down to it, they are cloven-hoofed, feral buggahs.

pax

Comment

As I recall, that was NOT what was said about Hirono and Lingle. The pundits were predicting a slugfest due to Lingle’s previous showing against Cayetano in which she came dangerously close to beating him. They were saying it would be really close.
                          I'm fond of Journalists!!!
                          As I am too! Hogue isn’t the sharpest knife in the drawer, unfortunately. The Republicans sealed their fate when they chose him over Kawananakoa, who was much more prepared to wage an expensive, contentious, all-out war with the Dems.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                          USA TODAY, page 2A
                          11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o
                            Waitaminit...a couple of facts here. LL was *brutalized* through her two races (against Cayetano and then against Hirono). I heard so much crap about her being a lesbian. Her haoleness was a handicap and I couldn't find many Hawaiians who liked her.

Lingle is polished, but not warm. Considering buy not friendly. She smiles but she's still a politician. A true centaur. On the top, centaurs appear civilized with the body of a mighty hunter. But when you get down to it, they are cloven-hoofed, feral buggahs.

I agree with you Pua'i Mana'o. I'm just arguing that an haole republican should never win the governorship of Hawaii but Linda Lingle had just enough differences that "softened" her image just enough to attract a few Haole democrats, Hawaiian democrats, Chinese Democrats to beat Hirono, who had ONLY the AJA vote.

My description was not a Lingle defense. But she is not the extreme bossy, argumentative, in your face ignorant, Timkona type of Haole that could never be elected.

Once again, Case is not huggable. Lingle is. That's why she can win.

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o
                              Her haoleness was a handicap and I couldn't find many Hawaiians who liked her.

Then how did she win. UH professors are a few hundred votes. That's not it. Teachers probably did give her a bunch of votes just because they hated Cayetano. There aren't enough Haoles (especially republicans) in hawaii to explain her victory. Somehow she was able to appeal to a certain percentage of the other voters.

Comment

Working...
                              X