Aloha from the Pacific Northwest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aloha from the Pacific Northwest

Aloha! I was looking for a chow fun recipe the other day and ran across this website. I'm excited to see that there is a site for people to gather and chat about the islands.

My name is Cassy, and I lived on Maui for 4 years (2000-2004) before moving back to the mainland. I still think of Maui as my home. It was where my husband and I got married and started our lives together. I had the pleasure and honor to teach 1st grade in Kahului, and my husband the opportunity to help on the government clean up of Kaho'olawe. Our first daughter is a Hawaii girl. (We now have 2.) The reason we left the islands is because all of our family was back on the mainland, and it was hard starting a family and not having that family support (which I really loved about my friends there...they were my ohana). I would love to move back, but know it's not going to happen for a while. In the meanwhile, I hold the spirit of Aloha in my heart.
    When I approach a child, he inspires in me two sentiments; tenderness for what he is, and respect for what he may become.
    ~ Louis Pasteur

Re: Aloha from the Pacific Northwest

Welcome...from Oregon HT is fun. Even for us non-residents.
    Since when is psycho a bad thing??
    Sharing withother survivors...
    www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Interesting Nickname...

enjoy ht
      Last edited by damontucker; September 25, 2006, 05:17 PM.

Comment

Aloha sppam! E komo mai and welcome to HT! Its a lot of fun! I went to see Keali'i Reichel in concert this past Saturday night. He is from Maui! Hope that you will enjoy your stay here at HT.
        Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)

Comment

Aloha back from the Pacific Northwest! I'm out here mauka of Portland by about 20 miles. Nice to find another PNW wahine here!
          Aloha,
          Mokihana

Comment

Originally posted by Mokihana
            Aloha back from the Pacific Northwest! I'm out here mauka of Portland by about 20 miles. Nice to find another PNW wahine here!
            Damascus, Oregon very pretty area too.

Comment

Thank you all for the warm welcome.

As for my screen name, when I first met my husband, it was (and still is) his screen name on ebay. I didn't know what sppam was until we moved to Hawaii and I had sppam musubi for the first time. To this day, I still love sppam this way!
              When I approach a child, he inspires in me two sentiments; tenderness for what he is, and respect for what he may become.
              ~ Louis Pasteur

Comment

aloha pacific northwesterners! i am a honolulu girl, now been in boston, MA for the past 4 years (too long), and am hoping to move out to the Portland, OR area soon! now i just need a new job....

Comment

Well Portland has many to choose from. I have many friends/family that have moved there from all around because emplyment is better there.

Comment

Welcome to HT!!!!! Swell is starting to swing towards Winter and a lot of breaks north of you will be going off soon. I know a lot of Hawaiian ex pats will be filling the lineup. Winter scares the donkeys out of the water.

I localize a break way north of you, **** *** but if you see some people on the side of the road in wetsuits grinding on musubi and drinking coffee right out of the thermos, stop off and say hi.
                    You Look Like I Need A Drink

Comment

Originally posted by pikunikku View Post
                      aloha pacific northwesterners! i am a honolulu girl, now been in boston, MA for the past 4 years (too long), and am hoping to move out to the Portland, OR area soon! now i just need a new job....
                      Hi there! What kind of work were you looking for? The job market is better here than elsewhere in Oregon, but unless you want to be a construction worker building new houses or work in retail/service, it's still not super hot.

Comment

Unfortunately, I'm not built to do construction... I'd love to find something in the non-profit field (which I know, in Portland, can mean many many things). I've got a good amount of experience doing fundraising, project management, event planning, and admin/operations, and I'd be willing to do any of the above, as long as it's a stable, paying job that can support me & my little ohana while we settle into a new place. I've been doing plenty research on what's out there. I feel like I just need help making connections. If anybody feels they can kokua, I'd be happy to talk! thanks for asking, Bard!

Comment

Fundraising, you said... plenty of that to be done out here! I can't walk through downtown in peace without being accosted by at least 2 fundraisers, signature-gatherers, or what-have-you each day. Ah well, I guess someone has to do it.

Good luck with your research and your move!

Comment

There are definately lots of job opportunities in the Portland area. I used to know a few people who did that kind of work, but it's been years now since I was acquainted with them. I can't even remember what they worked for or their names...just faces now. I wish I could be of more help.
                            ~ Louis Pasteur

Comment

Originally posted by sppam View Post
                              Aloha! I was looking for a chow fun recipe the other day and ran across this website. I'm excited to see that there is a site for people to gather and chat about the islands.

My name is Cassy, and I lived on Maui for 4 years (2000-2004) before moving back to the mainland. I still think of Maui as my home. It was where my husband and I got married and started our lives together. I had the pleasure and honor to teach 1st grade in Kahului, and my husband the opportunity to help on the government clean up of Kaho'olawe. Our first daughter is a Hawaii girl. (We now have 2.) The reason we left the islands is because all of our family was back on the mainland, and it was hard starting a family and not having that family support (which I really loved about my friends there...they were my ohana). I would love to move back, but know it's not going to happen for a while. In the meanwhile, I hold the spirit of Aloha in my heart.
                              *sigh* say hello to the beautiful colors of fall that you have right now. i miss that a LOT
                              life is ok sometimes

Comment

Working...
                              X