Thielen vs. Akaka

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thielen vs. Akaka

While we can continue to analyze what happened in Case v. Akaka, Gov. Lingle has now named the candidate to replace Jerry Coffee on the Republican ticket to challenge Akaka in November: Cynthia Thielen.

GOP taps Thielen
    The Republicans have a new candidate for U.S. Senate and they're also making a big pitch for voters who supported the losing Democrat, Ed Case. The GOP hopes to capitalize on the division among Democrats.
    It's a "safe" race for her, as she can keep her job in the state Senate if -- if! -- she doesn't beat Akaka in the General Election. Can't say I know too much about her, other than she's been around a while. It can't be a good sign if the soundbite from your press conference is, "I am not a placeholder!"

I see she's got a blog -- with exactly one post, but you gotta start somewhere. And a YouTube channel. Her site's "About" page features a photo of her with her kids and grandkids. Click the "Issues" tab and see "The War In Iraq," "The Global War on Terror," and "Net Neutrality," among others... all saying, "Please return tomorrow for Cynthia's position paper." I wonder just how much notice Cynthia had that she was going to be the sacrificial lamb Republican challenger?

Did anyone see Charles Djou in the audience? He didn't look happy.

Obviously, I need someone to explain the long-term strategy here. After all, the whole reason Djou's name was bandied about was because Lingle and the local G.O.P. were supposedly looking beyond November, finding someone who could be a contender in 2008. A running mate or even a leading candidate for the next gubernatorial race (after all, Aiona is a lost cause), or an up-and-coming Republican to take the next available shot at D.C.

Does Thielen fit this bill? Is she an "up-and-coming" G.O.P. talent, part of the new generation, a sign of the Republicans' constant growth and maturity in Hawaii? Because -- and she said it first -- I just see "placeholder." And really, it's a wasted opportunity.

I didn't think any of the other candidates running against Jerry Coffee were particularly compelling, but they couldn't have been thatmuch worse than Thielen. What does she offer?
    Cynthia Thielen (R)
    41.46%
    Daniel K. Akaka (D)
    51.22%
    Lloyd Jeffrey Mallan (L)
    2.44%
    Undecided/none of the above.
    4.88%

Re: Thielen vs. Akaka

Ethnic demographics once again ensures that Akaka will defeat Thielen badly.

Everybody get back to what you've been doing for the past 50 years. Everything is fine in Hawaii. Da Localz get everyting undah controle.

No need worry.

End of thread.

Comment

No need worry.
      Kamuelaka, I don't think anyone's worried, though not for your well-worn reasons.
      End of thread.
      I'm glad you think nothing else needs to be said, since you've basically posted the exact same thing to all the other political threads (including one set up just for your ethnic profiling). I imagine that means you'll leave this thread for those who actually want to discuss politics and Thielen's run in other contexts.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
        Kamuelaka, I don't think anyone's worried, though not for your well-worn reasons.
        I'm glad you think nothing else needs to be said, since you've basically posted the exact same thing to all the other political threads (including one set up just for your ethnic profiling). I imagine that means you'll leave this thread for those who actually want to discuss politics and Thielen's run in other contexts.

You apparently don't know Hawaii that well. And yes, as far as the "politics" of Akaka versus Thielen, absolutely pointless waste of energy. Thielen could be the second coming of Christ, she could guarantee all of Hawaii's people instant wealth and health and happiness,...... doesn't matter. She going looze. Its all about race in these races in Hawaii Nei. See?

Okay, I'll stay out of your pointless discussion now. Everybody pretend like the issues and opinions of the candidates really matters. Have fun.

Comment

Some early Googling finds...

...e-mail blasts urging people to fight efforts that would hurt the hemp industry. She's known nationally for her defense of industrial hemp, in fact, and was named Hempster of the Year in 1999.

...her entry in the dKospedia (a Democrat-leaning resource), which calls her "an anomaly amongst Republicans" because of a good environmental voting record, and notes that in 2005 she alone among Republicans voted for bills that would prohibit Hawaii's landlords and employers from discriminating against gays, lesbians or transsexuals.

...a Honolulu Advertisercommentary in which she rails against HECO's "addiction to oil" and urges opposition to a proposed oil-driven power plant.

...a list showing she voted against fluoridation.

...a signed letter of dissent (along with Ed Case and Marilyn Lee, fellow Judiciary Committee members at the time) for HB 2973, opposing a Republican push to limit abortion rights.

Well. If Ed Case was a little too conservative for Democrats, I wonder if Thielen is a little too liberal for Republicans? From just half an hour of reading, she's not the most objectionable politician out there. She still doesn't stand a chance... but at least we'll get to know her better.

Comment

I have had the opportunity to hear her speak. One tough, sharp cookie. Logical attorney. Passionate about education. Staunch critic of BOE policies and public education. Completely capable.

pax

Comment

Some early Googling finds ... e-mail blasts urging people to fight efforts that would hurt the hemp industry. She's known nationally for her defense of industrial hemp, in fact, and was named Hempster of the Year in 1999.
              Well, at least she might convert (currently) non-partisan Big Island advocate Jonathan Adler to the Republican Party. Maybe he’ll bring his “churchmembers.”

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
              USA TODAY, page 2A
              11 March 1993

Comment

Thielen...Sheep waiting to be attacked....amazed anyone would even accept at this point.

Comment

At her age, she has nothing to lose by running. Like KGMB9 News points out, she gets to keep her seat in the state legislature if and when she loses to Akaka. It’s a great publicity tool, and another feather in her cap for the history books. Kawananakoa has always said he wouldn’t run against Akaka. Charles Djou likely made his “I wouldn’t do that either” comments after learning he was not the Republicans choice.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                  USA TODAY, page 2A
                  11 March 1993

Comment

Thielen has done really well by Kailua.... she's intelligent, well-read, well-spoken, and thoughtful. She doesn't stand a chance against Akaka, but if she were elected you can be sure that she would represent Hawaii and not just the Democratic Party. It's too bad it isn't Kawananakoa though, I really wanted to see what would happen if you took the race-card (boy was that played REALLY hard in the Case/Akaka primary) out of the election. Then again if it had been Kawananakoa he could still claim ali'i status over Akaka, so it would have been class instead of race, but anyway I digress. One thing Thielen is not is she is not a neo-con or a zealot, Lingle made a good choice, even if Thielen is going to lose anyway it'll boost her career for no risk and all the potential (if unachievable) award.

Comment

Some early Googling finds...

...e-mail blasts urging people to fight efforts that would hurt the hemp industry. She's known nationally for her defense of industrial hemp, in fact, and was named Hempster of the Year in 1999.

...her entry in the dKospedia (a Democrat-leaning resource), which calls her "an anomaly amongst Republicans" because of a good environmental voting record, and notes that in 2005 she alone among Republicans voted for bills that would prohibit Hawaii's landlords and employers from discriminating against gays, lesbians or transsexuals.

...a Honolulu Advertisercommentary in which she rails against HECO's "addiction to oil" and urges opposition to a proposed oil-driven power plant.

...a list showing she voted against fluoridation.

...a signed letter of dissent (along with Ed Case and Marilyn Lee, fellow Judiciary Committee members at the time) for HB 2973, opposing a Republican push to limit abortion rights.

Well. If Ed Case was a little too conservative for Democrats, I wonder if Thielen is a little too liberal for Republicans?
                      Staying out of people's personal business is what conservatism is all about. At least, that's what it used to be about.

So ... one might say that opposing limits on abortion rights and supporting the use of hemp are consistent with old-style (true) conservatism.

It is the new-age GOP that has bowed to the "tell you what to do in your private life" extremist faction that hijacked the Republican Party. And now it's the liberals who are trying to tell everyone how they should think and live and feel, while demanding that they accept everyone -- even those who don't accept them! Preaching tolerance while intolerant of all who don't kowtow to their line.

Interesting times.
                      Last edited by MadAzza; September 25, 2006, 11:56 PM.

Comment

Since this thread is trivial, here is some trivia.

I heard once that Thielen is a direct decendant of Patrick Henry of "give me liberty or give me death fame".

Unfortunately, it won't help her at all. She will still looze and looze big.

Comment

Thielen sounds like a RepubliCRAT to me.

It's okay to have the best ideas from both sides of the political coin.

Neo-Con is an interesting term. Almost as if liberals are trying to affix a derogative label to the enemy because the enemy is starting to embrace some of the good ideas that liberals have.

There is no question that good ideas exist on both sides.
                          FutureNewsNetwork.com
                          Energy answers are already here.

Comment

MadAzza, I too have heard that I'd probably be considered a Republican a few generations ago. And whenever I fill out various quizzes, I find a distinct Libertarian streak, albeit one that's ultimately derailed by a couple of key issues.

Interesting that when Democrats were faced with a "moderate" candidate (some might say closeted Republican, yes), their reaction was fierce and unrelenting. Yet here, in Thielen, I see a Republican that has some more-left-than-moderate views (notably abortion rights), and she's generally being embraced by the local G.O.P. Will Thielen lose Republican votes because of her stance on traditionally Democratic issues -- abortion, environment, energy? Possibly. But no more than the votes she'll gain from Democrats who went for Case simply because they were sick of the Democratic machine.

The only disappointing bit about Thielen so far is how she waffled on the war and Bush questions. Even if her selection was a bit of a surprise, she had to know those questions were coming, and should have had a straightforward answer ready.

She doesn't seem afraid of alienating social conservatives on other fronts, so why come off trying to "play both sides" on Iraq? She seems to have been critical in the past, so rather than letting the media dig it up, she should just own her words and call a spade a spade.

Comment

The notion of Law & Order is under siege on Planet Earth right now.

Lawlessness makes the news everyday, but many Americans would villify those trying to preserve civilization anywhere on the planet. Not just Iraq. Check Seattle during the WTO protests, or any city in America that has won a major sports title in the last 15 years. I say spray em all with 7.62mm. If you don't want holes in your torso, don't play with the wrong crowd. Basically, BEHAVE YOURSELF.

Older grandparents know that misbehaving teens respond best to heavy handed discipline, and blanket supervision. That older generation is slowly dying off, to be replaced by a laissez-faire generation that is quickly shoving the world down a path toward chaotic anarchy, and villifying the notion of Law & Order.
                              FutureNewsNetwork.com
                              Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Working...
                              X