Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HT on wap?

Dear Santa Claus,

I want to be able to check HT from treo. Quickly. More quicklier than how it loads now, which still comes with all the pretty earth tones and wiiiiide header bars. Not that I am complaining. But Santa, if you could bless our Admin with making a wap site so that the buggah loads lightning fast, I will be a good girl. Forever. And then some.

aloha, Pua'i

</big hint>

pax

Re: HT on wap?

HawaiiThreads has an all text interface for achiving and PDA access. I have no idea what WAP is but since Treo is related to Palm maybe this might help:

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/archive/index.php/

I'm one of those guys who don't use cell phones, so I guess WAP must have something to do with that.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

WAP means Wireless Application Protocol, a protocol for Internet access from handhelds. Admin, if you want to try it, you might be interested in this WAP plugin for vBulletin.

Comment

Thanks for the link on WAP. My Palm IIIc is too old to do that kind of stuff... wireless internet.
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

As one who also browses HT via a smartphone, I hear you. The site loads eventually, but even with EVDO, it's poky, and a lot of the features (like the advanced editor) don't work.

Coming up for HT is a significant upgrade to the vBulletin software that runs the site. Almost a generational change. The currently installed line, 3.0.x, is no longer supported, save for security patches, so all the good stuff is on 3.5.x and up (like the plug-in Glen linked). The current version will come with several new features for both users (like multi-post quoting!) and adminstrators and better overall security. Once this is completed, things like a "theme" (skin, wrap, whatever you might call it) optimized for small screens and light bandwidth should be a snap to implement.

In fact, the one thing that's had me holding off on the upgrade (apart from the usual upgrade concerns) is that the new version has a revamped template system. Meaning, for a few days or weeks after the "engine" is replaced, HT will lose its flowers and earth tones and other customizations and basically look like a generic forum until I can port various elements over. I know it'll bug me to see the site like that. And I keep waiting for that big chunk of time... that never comes.

Your inquiry might be the kickstart I need. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by admin View Post
            Your inquiry might be the kickstart I need. Thanks.
            And, Pua'i, with the upgrade complete, as promised, a mobile interface for HawaiiThreads:

http://m.hawaiithreads.com

I actually tested a few approaches, including a plug-in, but ended up utilizing a stripped down 'skin' -- albeit one coded for an older version of the forum software (I can't win!). Not only should it let you read, but also post and work with PMs (turning the fancy message editor into the plainest of web forms).

I've already gone in to tweak a few things (there were no 'New/Latest' search links originally), and have other changes in mind (list thread titles before original poster), but I wanted to let the gadget freaks among you play with it as soon as possible. Consider it a beta offering, and let me know what works and what doesn't.

The 'm' subdomain, for example, may take some time to propagate. But, the eagle-eyed among you may have also noticed the new drop-down menu at the bottom left of every page, which also lets you switch between the regular HawaiiThreads look and the WAP-friendly HawaiiThreads Mobile edition.

Enjoy!

Comment

mahalo Czar-Kwan!

The mHT is a fabulous upgrade for the mobile device! It makes surfing HT sooo much quicker and easier.

If you are a mobile device junkie, check out mHT!

Two thumbboards up

pax

Comment

how many of us use our cellphones to surf the net? This site gives a quick/easy experience via my cell. Anyone uses a sidekick, crackberry or similar device?

Curious minds wanna know...

pax

Comment

...no editing ability when wanting to correct bad grammar, grrr...

pax

Comment

I am posting this from my new Samsung Blackjack using mHT. I like it! Er, so far.
                    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

thread hijack re: the blackjack-

do you have Missing Sync installed on your mac? Are you syncing this phone to your mac, or using a pc?

pax

Comment

i just got it yesterday and decided yet exactly how it is going to fit into my life. i've never been a big fan of iCal, but for lots of text it is certainly preferable to the mobile keys. i am planning to download Missing Sinc next week so i can fully explore this device's capabilities. are you using Missing Sinc?
                        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

My coworker uses missing sync to address his mac [computer]/blackberry[phone]/mac.com [calendar&email] needs. He swears by it.

I am not a fan of iCal, as I am a treo/entourage [calendar+roadrunner] kind of gal. My fondness for entourage is because it is iCal + Project Center, and it is a smart, tidy software.

If my cellphone was a blackberry or a pocket pc, I would use missing sync.

pax

Comment

Working...
                          X