Rhoads vs. Wong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rhoads vs. Wong

With Bevery Harbin officially out of the picture, the race to restore the District 28 House seat to respectability falls to Karl Rhoads (D) and Collin Wong (R).

I admit, at this point, to mostly being glad Harbin was ousted, and considering both Wong and Rhoads are relatively fresh faces (though Rhoads has done a lot with Neighborhood Boards, community groups, and worked at the Legislature), I could live with either. Except I don't live in the district (which is probably a good thing for them).

Any thoughts on either man? I know Doug White is a big fan of Karl. Yet I was prompted to post this thread after discovering Mitchell thinks he's an idiot for his stance on the Chinatown prostitution-free zone. Have at it!

Re: Rhoads vs. Wong

Oh man. This race could be almost as pun-ful as the 1994 state House race between Ed Case and Toni Worst (the "Worst/Case scenario").

Comment

Karl is the man.

FWIW, I'd be interested to see if Mr. Wong has a different opinion than Mr. Rhoads concerning the prostitution issue. In the end, these gentlemen need votes from their district, and pledging to address the root cause of prostitution (whatever one believes that might be) is not what most voters want to hear. More of them want the hookers to be shooed to some other district.

Anyway, it's a false dichotomy that Mitchell presents. A candidate can support an expansion of the prostitution-free zone AND support efforts to address the root causes of prostitution. One just makes a better bullet-point than the other.

Comment

I busy but I need to post on dis thread!

Karl is the MAN!!!!!

Half hour ago I recieved a call from da MWH Office. I got scoldings. It is not allowed for a Candidate to come on State Property to campaign Door to Door...even helping someone running for The MWH Tenant Association Board.

I apologized. However, I knew who made the complaint. It wasn't hard to figure out. The Current Board who supports Colin Wong.

Karl and I went Door to Door many months ago. No complaints. Infact, we all talked Story. Now they complain?

I wonder why?

Ainokea.

We already got our message out.

Auntie Lynn
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I agree. Heck, even the proponents of the expanded zone conceded at the outset that it wasn't the solution, let alone a particularly good one, just an additional disincentive. It was one of many tools in a multi-faceted approach to the problem, which even I agree shouldn't only be attacked on the 'supply' side.

Yes, in the end, representatives of specific neighborhoods have to focus on what's good for their constituents, even if moving {x} out really just means dumping {x} on someone else. They've got to serve an area's selfish needs as well as the nebulous "greater good."

I certainly wouldn't brand Rhoads an idiot on one issue!

Anyone know anything about Collin Wong?

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
            Collin Wong is sweet.heheheh

He has an aura about him. His parent are nice too. His father is a doctor. Collin needs more experience and is somebody to watch in the future. He should have run for City Council.

Just my Opinion.

Oh! He dropped several bags of Rubber Slippers to my Hale last month for my Christmas Wish List 2006!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
              Collin Wong is sweet.heheheh

He has an aura about him. His parent are nice too. His father is a doctor. Collin needs more experience and is somebody to watch in the future. He should have run for City Council.

Just my Opinion.

Oh! He dropped several bags of Rubber Slippers to my Hale last month for my Christmas Wish List 2006!

Auntie Lynn
              What's his father's name, Auntie? Just curious...

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                He's a ʻIolani boy, class of '97, and buddies with his classmate Nolan Kido, the Republican candidate for House seat 18.

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN
                  What's his father's name, Auntie? Just curious...
                  I dunno. I wen throw away da brochure. I'm All foa Karl Rhoads!

He's da MAN!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Karl and me we make a Team. Going Door to Door with him is soooo much Fun! We Pau with MWH...now it's off State property. Chinatown here we come! Moa betta yet!

Auntie Lynn of CHINATOWN!!!!

Yeeehaaaaa

District 28 has always been a Democratic Stronghold.
                  Look at the Primary RESULTS.
                  Nuff said.
                  Last edited by 1stwahine; September 26, 2006, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Hey Poinographer....i just gotta ask....What do you think are the root causes of prostitution??
                    FutureNewsNetwork.com
                    Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Sure. I know that you can be against prostitution in your area and still want to do something about prostitution's causes. But Rhoads hasn't said anything about what he wants to do about prostitution really, and that tells me that he's more interested in playing the sound-bite game than about really making changes.

The prostitution-free zone is a crock. For reasons that still escape me, prostitution is already (still) illegal. Someone who is arrested for this victimless crime and has already paid his or her debt to society can be arrested just for being in the area Rhoads suggests expanding.

Now, I'm mostly a big fan of weed-and-seed programs, of which this prostitution-free zone is a part, but does this arrest-for-past-crimes thing seem even Constitutional to you? It doesn't to me, and someone I know who works closely with prostitutes downtown (in a capacity unrelated to the subject at hand) says a lawyer friend of hers is just waiting to test it.

I'm not saying there aren't times and places for laws like this to exist. Schools should be expected to make sure convicted child-molesters stay off their payrolls; however, even a convicted child-molester is not arrested simply for being near a school.

I love neighborhood boards, and I love the people who serve on them. However, this "get the bad element out" emphasis irritates the living heck out of me. What I want to know is what Karl Rhodes and Collin Wong think we need to do about poverty, drug addiction, mental illness, and homelessness. The crime is not that there are people trading blow-jobs for sawbucks (or whatever the going rate is); the crime is that there are people who think they need to.
                      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Now, I'm mostly a big fan of weed-and-seed programs, of which this prostitution-free zone is a part, but does this arrest-for-past-crimes thing seem even Constitutional to you?
                        Scriv -

Does the Weed and Seed thing seem constitutional? Correct me if I'm wrong... but I believe if someone is busted for dealing in a "designated weed and seed zone" that they are not allowed to go back to that area after they have finished their mandated punishment. This person... although they have previously committed a crime in that area... will then get busted again just for being in that area...whether they were dealing or not.

Comment

Tim, your guess is as good as mine, but I believe the root cause of prostitution is patriarchy and a supply:demand imbalance when it comes to satiating the sexual urges of men.

Comment

Laws against prostitution are very similar to laws prohibiting drug use.

Both industries would benefit from regulation, which demands legalization as a first step.

Society is so ignorant of history on this issue. It's intentional blindness.
                            FutureNewsNetwork.com
                            Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                              Oh man. This race could be almost as pun-ful as the 1994 state House race between Ed Case and Toni Worst (the "Worst/Case scenario").
                              Wow, Glen, I didn’t take you for one who would bite my previous posts. Stop stealing my jokes, man!

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                              USA TODAY, page 2A
                              11 March 1993

Comment

Working...
                              X