Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much longer until Aloha goes under?

The short term gain for interisland passengers in the fare war brought on by go! has definitely been welcomed by travelers. However, how much bleeding can Aloha withstand before they cry "uncle"? I don't know what their books look like, but it was well known in the industry for many years that Aloha was cash poor. With go! backing by Mesa Air, Aloha can't deal with this situation in the same way they and Hawaiian did it with Mid Pacific, Mahalo, Discovery, et al. This price war is very different from the past ones in that Aloha is the one with the small bank account and I'm skeptical that the airline can last much longer.

Re: How much longer until Aloha goes under?

Hard to compete using yesterdays airplanes when fuel prices are so high.
    FutureNewsNetwork.com
    Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Pacific Life Whaler Insurance, 19th Cent. capital

Originally posted by bueller555
      The short term gain for interisland passengers in the fare war brought on by go! has definitely been welcomed by travelers. However, how much bleeding can Aloha withstand before they cry "uncle"? I don't know what their books look like, but it was well known in the industry for many years that Aloha was cash poor. With go! backing by Mesa Air, Aloha can't deal with this situation in the same way they and Hawaiian did it with Mid Pacific, Mahalo, Discovery, et al. This price war is very different from the past ones in that Aloha is the one with the small bank account and I'm skeptical that the airline can last much longer.
      Look to the Carlyle Group-like financial houses who are trying to legitimate their ill-gotten gains from rhe Reagan years theft of the U.S. Treasury of multiple trillion$US. Crying "uncle" like Uncle Sherman who waged unlimited civil war on The South because The South was sick and tired of supporting the capitalist North who were/are/remain (with their European cousins) the principal beneficiaries of involuntary/reluctant/abused/misused/cheated in the Americas.

For one , I love (sardonically so, perhaps) the insurance company commercial that pictorally celebrates a whale breaching the surface of the water less than a soccer field's (not to imply or mean a U.S. "US football" yarded dimensional abstraction of reason) distance from an observer. The very same insurance company originated from capitalist schemes to captilize on (necessarily short-term) "for profit" margins (slave laborers, whale oil, walrus tusk ivory, seal skins) ; albeit, in capitalist ideology there is an infinite amount of everything:

A. An infinite amount of oceans, lakes, rivers and running waters wherein to dump capitalist$' long-term wastes for short-term gain.

B. Infinite pool of desperate labor.

C. Infinite supply of fossil hydrocarbons and sub-crustal methane.

D. Infinite ignorance of the masses.

E. Infinite deception of the masses.

F. Infinite patience of the masses.

G. Infinite U.S. debt; ie, infinite trust of non-US entities to loan to the U.S. monies to sustain failed foreign and domestic U.S./US policy.

..... H, I, J and so forth ... pick a symptom and swallow....
      Last edited by waioli kai; September 26, 2006, 11:11 PM.

Comment

I know I’m no genius, but am I the only one who needs a translator for this stuff?

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
        USA TODAY, page 2A
        11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL
          I know I’m no genius, but am I the only one who needs a translator for this stuff?
          for once I think I agree...what the heck did waioli just go into...

Can you break it down for us people that don't even have cell phones?

Comment

East Coast financing schemes and scams

Look guys...it's East Coast financing schemes and scams that gives go! airlines the wherewithal to drive Aloha and Hawaiian airlines to unprofitability. go! is not at all concerned about profit at this stage of their plans. The go!/Mesa group doesn't give one single-layer tissue wipe about Hawai'i, Hawaii or the people who have lived here for generations or who lives here after they do their hit job on the economy. Mesa/go! is little different from Superferry,Inc./Defense Dept.... lot's of monies, no conscience, nationalUSt, capitalUSt, corporatUSt interest$.

Comment

waioli kai - you could say that about most parent companies - including the ones that own Hawaiian Airlines (Hawaiian Holdings Inc.) and Aloha Airlines (Aloha Airgroup, Inc.).

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
              USA TODAY, page 2A
              11 March 1993

Comment

My family was an "Aloha" family when I was a kid... you know, "We all fly {x} because {y}'s aunty's second husband's daughter is a baggage handler..." (I became a "Hawaiian" fan once I had a family of my own.) I have fond memories and a great deal of empathy for employees and appreciation for those that helped it survive its near-death experiences.

But go!, playing dirty or not, is definitely shaking up the entire interisland market, and if it's true that Hawaii can basically only support two major carriers, I've said several times here that I expect Aloha will be the first to fall.

As to how long? Who knows. Already Aloha is the airline to blink first when go! makes a move, is more reluctant to release figures, and is generally taking a back seat to Hawaiian when it comes to the "front lines" of the battle. In comparison shopping for an upcoming trip, I found the most available seats but highest prices on Aloha. They'd only just surfaced from bankruptcy troubles in February when things got exciting again, so I wouldn't be surprised to see yet another Chapter 11 filing before the end of the year.

Dec. 30 would be the anniversary of their most recent bankruptcy filing, so I'd use that as a milepost.

Comment

Looks to me like WK is dissin on Football. Yeah, buddy, FOOTBALL. He sounds like some soccer smurf beeaitch who need cracks.

Hey Waikola, I really DO read most of what you post. But it's hard. And I actually see your point on about 1/3 of the rantings. I sometimes wish you would write a little different so it would be easier to read.

BUT STOP CHOPPIN ON FOOTBALL RIGHT NOW !!!
                  FutureNewsNetwork.com
                  Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL
                    waioli kai - you could say that about most parent companies - including the ones that own Hawaiian Airlines (Hawaiian Holdings Inc.) and Aloha Airlines (Aloha Airgroup, Inc.).
                    That's true, for over a century Hawai'i islands have been at the mercy of foreign interests, which interests are well represented in the state and federal legislatures, county governments and state and federal courts. What's another predator like go!/Mesa added to the mix? Just more of the same.

Comment

Working...
                    X