View Full Version : Sign here if you repaired something today

Mike_Lowery
September 26th, 2006, 09:55 PM
- Mike_Lowery

I replaced the windshield washer reservoir/pump on my truck

damontucker
September 26th, 2006, 09:56 PM
Can i Just repeat myself daily?

I'm constantly fixing one thing or another...and a lot of times it's my own bad :o

1stwahine
September 26th, 2006, 10:09 PM
I said I wasn't gonna Post till afta da Election but this thread is perfect foa wat I like say.

No laugh.

Cran, her hubby and lil Cran came ova my hale to put up the tent and tables today. :D

Everything was perfect when they left. Den wen rain. :eek: I hurried outside while MAMA watched from her bedroom window. I grabbed an extra pole and proceeded to put it in the middle part where it was bulging.

Zaaaappp! Da water came pouring outta one Big Puka all on me!!!! :mad:

I said no LAUGH.

MAMA wen yell at me dat I suppose to put the pole by da side.

I had to take down the whole ting and fix da Puka den put da tent back up afta the rain subsided.

Yeah. I fixed sumting tonight.

Auntie Lynn

Mike_Lowery
September 26th, 2006, 10:20 PM
BBBBBBUAHAHAHAHAHA!

Just jokes, Auntie. Hope you're dried off and I hope you don't get a cold. I wouldn't know anything on fixin a tent, so I shouldn't laugh, but the mental image you conjured was priceless :D

Yup, can't fix a tent, but you like talk upholstery, we talk upholstery. Actually no, I can't fix that either, but I just overheard "murdock" from my TV, and it reminded me of murdie murdock.

oceanpacific
September 26th, 2006, 11:57 PM
I played "Daddy to the rescue" as my daughter's car tire got shredded on her way to work. She likely picked up a nail as the tires were not under-inflated.

Anyway, I made use of my service station skills of 40+ years ago by changing the spare, then leading her to the tire shop to get a replacement. She was amazed that I changed it so quickly.

The biggest delay was getting to the freeway on-ramp several miles behind her in Halawa as she got off the H-1 Ewa-bound on the Waimalu-Pearl City exit.

blueyecicle
September 27th, 2006, 07:36 AM
I fixed my sons guitar this morning, his brother had shoves 3 superman in the hole and they were all stuck and the string broke.

craigwatanabe
September 27th, 2006, 08:18 AM
I fixed our connection to the satellite box so my toddler Jesse could watch the Wonderpets before heading off to pre-school in a few minutes...What's gonna work...TEAMWORK! Oh no the poor chicken has a bucket stuck on her wittle head! What are we going to do? Quick...to the fly boat where are the wheels?

Okay I've been watching the Wonderpets too much! But it sure beats the Wiggles. :D

blueyecicle
September 27th, 2006, 08:31 AM
I fixed our connection to the satellite box so my toddler Jesse could watch the Wonderpets before heading off to pre-school in a few minutes...What's gonna work...TEAMWORK! Oh no the poor chicken has a bucket stuck on her wittle head! What are we going to do? Quick...to the fly boat where are the wheels?

Okay I've been watching the Wonderpets too much! But it sure beats the Wiggles. :D
What no PinkyDinky Doo yet??? Or Caillou?? My house is a cartoon zone!! Thank gawd for my own kitchen TV!
I wish I didn't know every theme song to eery cartoon!

hawaiidreamin
September 27th, 2006, 09:06 AM
Just brought back our office printer from the brink...amazing what a cotton swab and rubbing alcohol can do

Queenolu
September 27th, 2006, 09:21 AM
No laugh.

Zaaaappp! Da water came pouring outta one Big Puka all on me!!!! :mad:

I said no LAUGH.

Auntie Lynn

Sorry Auntie Lynn........ a no laugh.....a no laugh.... :)

Leo Lakio
September 27th, 2006, 09:47 AM
I fixed a gap in my record collection by purchasing the new Tori Amos box set.

craigwatanabe
September 27th, 2006, 10:04 AM
Just brought back our office printer from the brink...amazing what a cotton swab and rubbing alcohol can do

I didn't know office printers had ears to clean! I gotta whisper around my printer now :D

TuNnL
September 27th, 2006, 02:20 PM
I fixed a co-worker’s computer. Like Mānoa said, you should be able to sign in daily on this one.

LocoBoy
September 27th, 2006, 03:07 PM
Fixed a QuikLock set for a resident.

Jake's Ohana
September 27th, 2006, 04:24 PM
Solved a wasp's nest problem on my house. The wasp's were getting too lolo around my house for the kids. Sorry insect lovers, but I had to exterminate them. "Ace is da place." ;)

SouthKona
September 27th, 2006, 10:52 PM
I fixed the hurt feelings that a friend had over a mean comment that someone else said to her. I told her the other person was having a "bad day" due to being in physical pain, and to not take the mean comment personally. :)

hawaiidreamin
September 28th, 2006, 05:26 AM
I didn't know office printers had ears to clean! I gotta whisper around my printer now :D

Most equipment has ears...have you not ever made threats against a "supposedly" inanimate object and it started to act right? :p

craigwatanabe
September 28th, 2006, 07:12 AM
Fixed a QuikLock set for a resident.

I know how to rekey Kwiklock door locks and Schlage. I just did a set last night. Takes about five minutes to rekey a door lock to another key.

Oh and this morning I fixed a Ferrarri! My 2-1/2 year old rolled his yellow F40 off one of the kitchen counters onto the floor and the rear sub-chassis broke away from the unitized body. It took some major bodywork (two fingers and a butter knife) but I got it back in running condition! Now if I can only fix my BMW with the snapped timing chain! :D

Tonight I go to one of my friend's home in Hilo to overhaul his computer. He says it's running slow. He's never heard of anti-virus protection. :confused:

craigwatanabe
September 28th, 2006, 07:22 AM
Most equipment has ears...have you not ever made threats against a "supposedly" inanimate object and it started to act right? :p

If inanimate objects have a manitoe then half of all machines on this planet have been cursed by me. And to think I used to work for Kaimuki Typewriter fixing Copying machines!

Whenever something breaks because of some stupid design I start humming that song: If I had a hammer...I'd hammer in the morning...all over this world... :D

I read a quip in Readers Digest a few decades ago about a car mechanic who in frustration in trying to fix a supposedly broken car from a customer who kept bringing it in when it made a funny noise but when the mechanic got it the noise went away.

On the last trip to the repair shop the mechanic told the lady that everytime he pops the hood to look for the noise he can't find it, so he taped a picture of himself to the inside of the hood so it was always staring at the engine.

The car never came back.

Konaguy
September 28th, 2006, 08:14 AM
Tonight I go to one of my friend's home in Hilo to overhaul his computer. He says it's running slow. He's never heard of anti-virus protection. :confused:

Say what ? :) That doesn't sound good at all. One of my friends computer
was so infected with viruses, I ended up re-installing Windows on it.

hawaiidreamin
September 28th, 2006, 08:17 AM
ROFL @ the picture under the hood...
I wonder if that would work in my office as most everyone swears that the equipment makes them look like a fool when they complain about something only to have it work fine when I come to look at it....

Kelly0040
September 28th, 2006, 08:25 AM
ok so like I didnt fix it, but my husband fixed my truck by putting in a new alterator yay!

blueyecicle
September 28th, 2006, 08:28 AM
I fixed my husband's ego today! Man that takes alot of work! :p

Leo Lakio
September 28th, 2006, 08:31 AM
I fixed my husband's ego today! Man that takes alot of work! :pCan you really call it "fixed," when you generally have to repair it again and again, within 24 hours? It's a bug in the MaleEgo program - when you first meet us, you only get the demo. (And, keeping with the topic, I hope this "fixed" a smile on someone's face.)

Konaguy
September 28th, 2006, 08:33 AM
Can you really call it "fixed," when you generally have to repair it again and again, within 24 hours? It's a bug in the MaleEgo program - when you first meet us, you only get the demo. (And, keeping with the topic, I hope this "fixed" a smile on someone's face.)

LMAO, that is so true :D

blueyecicle
September 28th, 2006, 08:33 AM
Can you really call it "fixed," when you generally have to repair it again and again, within 24 hours? It's a bug in the MaleEgo program - when you first meet us, you only get the demo. (And, keeping with the topic, I hope this "fixed" a smile on someone's face.)

I will now be "fixing" my printer because I spit milk on it laughing!!

Pomai
September 28th, 2006, 08:45 AM
ok so like I didnt fix it, but my husband fixed my truck by putting in a new alterator yay!Any chance you were the one who went to the auto parts store to buy the "alterator"?

"My husband sent me to buy an "alterator" for a 1999 Dodge Ram pickup. You know.. it's that thingee that's silver on the outside, spins and has a belt attached to it. I think the belt fits a pants size 32 waist, with no buckle." :p :D

Leo Lakio
September 28th, 2006, 08:47 AM
I will now be "fixing" my printer because I spit milk on it laughing!!Oop. I hope you didn't spit in its ears.

Remember: Inanimate objects ... ... ... aren't.

hawaiidreamin
September 28th, 2006, 09:05 AM
Yes, this is true about the MaleEgo program...(pardon me while I wipe away the tears of laughter)
Now to find a permanent program patch :rolleyes: :)

And to fix my chair after I fell out of it laughing :o

damontucker
September 28th, 2006, 09:15 AM
Now to find a permanent program patch
A permanent program patch...good laugh there...The problem is... us guys will just keep finding ways to breach the patch!

Mike_Lowery
September 28th, 2006, 09:23 AM
Yes, this is true about the MaleEgo program...(pardon me while I wipe away the tears of laughter)
Now to find a permanent program patch :rolleyes: :)

No need for a patch here. I'm impermeable to attacks and viruses. Yup, I'm a Mack...haha.

hawaiidreamin
September 28th, 2006, 09:39 AM
LOL @ Mike...that was cute

Manoa-I guess that's why they have upgrades...which turn out to be the same model with different packaging :rolleyes:

Kelly0040
September 28th, 2006, 10:46 AM
Any chance you were the one who went to the auto parts store to buy the "alterator"?

"My husband sent me to buy an "alterator" for a 1999 Dodge Ram pickup. You know.. it's that thingee that's silver on the outside, spins and has a belt attached to it. I think the belt fits a pants size 32 waist, with no buckle." :p :D

rofl no not me but that's totally something i'd say

craigwatanabe
September 28th, 2006, 04:46 PM

You can't fix a man's ego...you can only maintain it for a short while then it goes off the deep end again (as usual)

Shan-n
September 29th, 2006, 09:45 AM
Does it count if you fix the huge Canon copy machine? Especially when the it eats the paper and you have a major paper jam in 10 different areas of the machine? Most of time the guys can't even fix it. So I tell them get outta the way.. I know what I am doing! And I always fix it! ;)

Mike_Lowery
September 29th, 2006, 10:33 PM
Settled a dispute between two 7th-graders over a hackysack. Man, those toys are always the cause of some problem in a middle school. I wanna find and cut down the tree that bears hackysacks.

Queenolu
September 30th, 2006, 01:28 PM
You can't fix a man's ego...you can only maintain it for a short while then it goes off the deep end again (as usual)

Goes off the deep end and that's time you toss him down the mountain....because he is useless now... that simple... :D :D

Rofl.............. you guys are making me laugh toooooo much

Queenolu
September 30th, 2006, 01:30 PM
back to topic...

I am fixing a friends computer again today... as usual... this time having to install MS office softwares

Mike_Lowery
October 12th, 2006, 10:37 AM
Solved a battery problem on a cell phone. Battery wasn't charing--just dirty contacts.

Pomai
October 12th, 2006, 03:01 PM
Solved a battery problem on a cell phone. Battery wasn't charing--just dirty contacts.Wasn't "char(r)ing" huh? All you need for that is one of them combustible laptop batteries (http://wcco.com/consumer/local_story_148150249.html). :p

Slept over my aunt's house last night when at about 1am in the morning an exposed iron water pipe outside decided to finally rust through and flood half the garage. What timing.

She didn't know specifically where the water-main valve was located, just "over there somewhere", so it took me almost a half hour (carefully) digging through grass and dirt in the front lawn looking for it. I almost ended up making an emergency call to BOS. I finally found the valve and cut the water supply. Good thing the valve itself worked. Just our luck that would've been frozen. For some reason, the valve was almost 8 feet lateral to the meter on the sidewalk. Sheez.

So not necessarily fixed it, but at least I found and shut the water-main valve, saving the house from a total flood-out. Good thing I happened to be there at that moment.

She hired a licensed plumber today and replaced the old iron pipe with copper. Was a pretty difficult job I wouldn't have attempted myself.

Tip: KNOW EXACTLY where your home's water and electrical main is located in the event of a major pipe break or electrical hazard.

Mike_Lowery
October 12th, 2006, 06:09 PM
Wasn't "char(r)ing" huh? All you need for that is one of them combustible laptop batteries (http://wcco.com/consumer/local_story_148150249.html). :p

Used an airduster and cleaned my keyboard. Dust wasn't allowing the contacts on the "G" key to work all the time, so I was leaving out that letter when I typed. :D

Cameron
October 12th, 2006, 06:18 PM
I changed out my car battery today, too bad it decided to die right when I'm trying to rush out the door to get to class, either way it's good now.

Fat Jeff
October 13th, 2006, 02:54 PM
Fixed the fax in my office...it was making very light faxes, especially along the outside edges. I read the troubleshooting page on the Brother website and tried cleaning a wire on the drum assembly. That worked for a day then the problem came back. $200 and a new drum later the fax is back to normal.

Sort of a fix...

Jake's Ohana
October 13th, 2006, 07:49 PM
Simple honey dooze:

Had to replace the air filter for the vent for heater/air conditioner. Also installed some hooks in our bedroom to hang clothes.

Jake's Ohana
October 21st, 2006, 06:08 PM
Tried to snake out our plumbing in our masterbath, but the buggah no can fix. We're going to need a real plumber for this one. I hear the pipes clanging around when I am snaking it. It doesn't sound too good. Probably goin cost plenny $$$.:eek:

Kungpao
April 16th, 2007, 05:59 AM
I know... i know... bring an old dead thread back to life.. yada yada yada...

i couldn't help it! I'm so proud of myself!

Last night, I installed a watter pressure boost pump in our house! Oh it's SOOO nice to have water pressure again! It was my first time EVER sweating pipe and I managed to do it and only get 1 third degree burn blister :D Doesn't even hurt today.

Carry on with normalcy lol.

adrian
April 16th, 2007, 12:13 PM
*signs name here*

I fixed a few computers this morning. (well, that's my job)

islandguy
April 16th, 2007, 12:51 PM
I tightened the screws on our entertaiment center, it was about to fall apart! How they got loose I have no idea!

TATTRAT
April 16th, 2007, 01:31 PM
Fixes the thermo-coupler on one of our convection ovens...without anything blowing up!

buzz1941
April 16th, 2007, 04:34 PM
I changed the blade in my chamfer plane. Does that count?

Oh, and i readjusted my belt/disk sander.

1stwahine
April 16th, 2007, 04:41 PM
K-den. Someone broke my antenna from my Lexus the other day in my parking stall at MWH!:mad: So...I took off the wires today. Low and behold there is no static. However, I can't understand how come still get music without the antenna.:confused:

Das mean I fixed it...right?

No antenna but get music.:p

Dances around Leimomi!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Auntie Lynn

Da Rolling Eye
April 16th, 2007, 05:44 PM
Did most of the major fixes this weekend. Today's fixes were easy. Went to Longs to buy a couple packages of eraser pencil refills and refilled 2 of Mel's pencil erasers. Darn kid goes through 2 of those things in a week. :confused: You'd understand why if you saw her handwritting. <LOL> Also replaced the broken hair trap in the tub. :p
Big whooptidoo. :rolleyes:

WindwardOahuRN
April 16th, 2007, 07:56 PM
I restored my crashed computer yesterday. It is still acting a bit weird, kinda wobbly. But a big improvement over the black screen and DOS stuff that it was spitting out before the fix.

Kelly0040
April 16th, 2007, 08:41 PM
We changed the stater puller string thing on the lawnmower...boy that was a hoot. fingers hurt a ton tho

Pomai
August 19th, 2007, 02:58 PM
This wasn't my day. Bumped into the kitchen table, knocking over my fruit punch, which spilled over my digital camera, which HAPPENED to be right there. Yup, after that spill, it was dead. Wouldn't power up. :(

With the amount fruit punch that spilled over it, I really thought this was a done deal, but what the heck, might as well try fix it.

Let me say, opening a compact digital camera up is not far from performing brain surgery. You have to be very careful with the micro-sized circuit boards, ribbon cables and lens assembly.

Carefully removed each screw (which almost each one were a different length and diameter :confused:) and cracked open the case. I thought I'd break the tabs, but it came off without incident. Cleaned whatever fruit punch had leaked inside, which there was some on several circuit boards, probably causing a short.

Cleaned it up, put it back together and voila.. it works! Yay! :cool:

Kudos once again to Canon for making a camera that not only takes great photos, but is also somewhat self-serviceable. The technology in these digital cameras is amazing.

zztype
August 19th, 2007, 08:09 PM
Installed magnetic latches inside grandma's kitchen cabinets. Now they close all the way without hanging open! Yay!

tikiyaki
August 19th, 2007, 09:45 PM
Fixed a leak in my Trash compactor a few days ago. I think it got shook loose after the last earthquake in Hilo. Had to replace the whole drain and collar assembly. With the advice of a knowledgeable Home Depot guy, I got the job done.More Kudos for Hilo Home Depot . :D

Anyway, plumbing and electric usually frighten me, but I managed to fix it. :)

oceanpacific
August 20th, 2007, 12:15 AM
One of the toilets was leaking a little into the bowl. Changed the flap. Things back to normal. HGTV to the rescue ...........

DKP
August 21st, 2007, 09:06 AM
Opened and cleaned the circuitry of my car alarm remote. Works now :)

Fixed a cigarette I broke with tape. Works now :)

Leo Lakio
August 21st, 2007, 12:52 PM
Financial repairs, rolling over the 401(k) from my former employer into an IRA investment account, as well as changing over a CD to a higher-interest rate.

lavagal
August 21st, 2007, 06:10 PM
This wasn't my day. Bumped into the kitchen table, knocking over my fruit punch, which spilled over my digital camera, which HAPPENED to be right there. Yup, after that spill, it was dead. Wouldn't power up. :(

With the amount fruit punch that spilled over it, I really thought this was a done deal, but what the heck, might as well try fix it.

Let me say, opening a compact digital camera up is not far from performing brain surgery. You have to be very careful with the micro-sized circuit boards, ribbon cables and lens assembly.

Carefully removed each screw (which almost each one were a different length and diameter :confused:) and cracked open the case. I thought I'd break the tabs, but it came off without incident. Cleaned whatever fruit punch had leaked inside, which there was some on several circuit boards, probably causing a short.

Cleaned it up, put it back together and voila.. it works! Yay! :cool:

Kudos once again to Canon for making a camera that not only takes great photos, but is also somewhat self-serviceable. The technology in these digital cameras is amazing.

Wow. Nice Save!

adrian
September 9th, 2007, 10:31 AM
I repaired my car's dent on her bumper. I just used compressed air and a hair dryer. I thought it'd pop right back up, but when it didn't, I just pushed it from underneath.

cezanne
September 10th, 2007, 12:04 AM
Did my front brakes today.

Zendik
September 10th, 2007, 08:35 AM
Everyday. Today I fix imperfections in the walls I just finished and painted yesterday. Then get ready for my bowhunt.

Kalei99
September 10th, 2007, 09:19 AM
I think I've finally fixed my Yellowbook ad bill. D em bauggas was overcharging me and adding late charges when I'm one month ahead! I like slap dem awready- took 3 months to fix. :mad:

achow
September 12th, 2007, 07:23 PM
I fixed my VCR this morning. Had to get another one because the first one broke.

Mokihana
September 12th, 2007, 07:56 PM
I fixed dinner. :D :D :D

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Leo Lakio
September 13th, 2007, 12:01 PM
I fixed dinner. :D :D :D

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Admit - you da one who wen buss 'em first, yeah?
(Apologies for lousy attempt at pidgin...)

Mokihana
September 13th, 2007, 12:21 PM
Admit - you da one who wen buss 'em first, yeah?
(Apologies for lousy attempt at pidgin...)

OK, yeah... I wen bussum first. So den had foa fixum. :D :D

Today I wen fix one glitch in my appraisal softwea proggy. How'd dat foa reclaim da territory and da thread?

cezanne
September 13th, 2007, 08:51 PM
I repaired my relationship with my wife today. Small kine stupid fight last night. So I took off today to have lunch with her and watch the Thunderbirds. :)

Pomai
September 14th, 2007, 09:29 AM
I repaired my relationship with my wife today. Small kine stupid fight last night. So I took off today to have lunch with her and watch the Thunderbirds.So you took the day off doing what YOU want to do. Not her. If she chose the venue, it'd be the movies or a day at the shopping mall. Not watching "manly" Thunderbird Jets. Shame on you. Shame, shame, shame. :p You watch... she'll dig that up on the next fight. :eek: :D

ploal5333
September 14th, 2007, 10:36 AM
So you took the day off doing what YOU want to do. Not her. If she chose the venue, it'd be the movies or a day at the shopping mall. Not watching "manly" Thunderbird Jets. Shame on you. Shame, shame, shame. :p You watch... she'll dig that up on the next fight. :eek: :D

Heeyy, main thing he treated her to lunch.

cezanne
September 19th, 2007, 10:16 PM
So you took the day off doing what YOU want to do. Not her. If she chose the venue, it'd be the movies or a day at the shopping mall. Not watching "manly" Thunderbird Jets. Shame on you. Shame, shame, shame. You watch... she'll dig that up on the next fight. :D

She chose lunch and the place. It was nice of her to pic Ala Mo so that I can tag along while she shopped for a little bit:rolleyes:. The Thunderbirds practice show she didn't really care for but she knew I wanted to go see it so we went. It was all good.:)

Heeyy, main thing he treated her to lunch.

Tanks!

Pomai
August 26th, 2009, 10:51 AM
The dryer portion of my aging stack washer/dryer has been making this horrible squeaking sound lately and I figured it was probably the drive belt beginning to fail (becoming overstretched). The dryer finally stopped spinning.

So I bought a replacement belt from Appliance Parts Hawaii ($24) and proceeded to replace the belt last night.

The hardest part was accessing the back panel of the unit while trying to work within the tight quarters the stack washer fits in my bathroom. Major pain in the okole!

I couldn't find installation instructions for the exact same washer/dryer model as mine online, so resorted to other stack washer/dryer instructions as a basic reference. I was afraid I'd run the belt's serpentine track around the motor and tension pulley the wrong way, but after inspecting the mechanism closely, figured it out. Quite simple design these dryers have.

In order to get the drive belt around the main drive pulley on the motors output shaft, you have to remove the motor mount bolts so you can pull the motor and blower fan out just enough so that it's out of the housing in order to slip the belt around the end.

The next challenge was stretching the belt to fit around the large dryer drum as it's rested on the roller guides within the dryer unit. Then you have to get the belt aligned properly on the drum while making sure there aren't any twists in the belt. Easier said than done, but after about 15 minutes of working it around the drum and tension pulley, the belt finally was in place.

Put it all back to together, plugged the stack washer/dryer back in and voila, tested everything, and it worked! My diagnosis was correct. Repair was a success! Did two loads of laundry last night after fixing it and it works like a charm.

Not bad for just $24 in parts (the belt), and about 1 hour of blood, sweat and tears. :eek: :)

tutusue
August 26th, 2009, 11:12 AM
I'm looking at a shattered halogen light bulb cover that fell to the floor missing my head by a coupla inches. Not gonna attempt to glue it back together. I'm finding bits of glass all over the place! *sigh* Sooo...I'm not signing this thread! :D

StinkyTheGrump
August 26th, 2009, 02:26 PM
My wife's laptop crashed and the "recovery wizard" (the only option that was left, it wouldn't boot at all) reformatted the harddrive. I installed a fresh copy of Windows XP and all of the HP drivers. Now it works like a charm!

Kungpao
September 1st, 2009, 11:15 AM
I'm proud of this one. I mean yeah, my father in law and I put up an addition with block and concrete and stuff but this repair I'm rather proud of cause I was able to do it all by my lonesome and saved me a boatload of money.

Saturday, we lost all hot water pressure in the house. I checked the water heater's electrical connections and everything seemed fine. The hot water side of the unit was hot on the top but the pipes were no longer hot cause no flow. So Sunday (we had a party to go to sat afternoon) I decided to bite the bullet and start dismantling. I shut everything off and let water drain out while I collected my tools together. Once most of the water was out, I started the cut. Cut the hot water pipe. No turning back. The copper pipes were screwed to a galvanized nipple on the top of the unit. Same on hot and cold sides. I unscrewed the copper from the nipple on the hot side and discovered debris on top of the galvanized nipple. This could be it! I thought to myself. I pried out the debris and it came out easily and wasn't much of it to have completely killed my water pressure. So I examine this little galvanized thing. I look down into it with a flashlight and see a metal ball. I poked at it with a screwdriver and it wasn't moving. So I took the nipple off cause it was screwed to the top of the heater too. Once in my hand I realized that the ball and the nipple were a check valve so that the water would only flow in one direction. Makes sense... the ball was moving freely now that gravity wasn't pulling it down. On to the cold side. I repeat the procedure and once I get the nipple the problem presented itself. Apparently, the ball got stuck on the cold water side!! No cold water in means no hot water out. Off to Home Cheapo to replace these things. Got home, fired up the torch and put on new shut off valves and unions and WE GOTS HOT WATER AGAIN! :D:D

tutusue
September 1st, 2009, 11:56 AM
Dangit...I'm impressed, KP. No hot water, a self-repair and with a baby in the house!

I just reglued a magnet to a shell that sticks to a black metal leaf sculpture hanging on my wall. That's as "handy" as I get! :D

Barry
September 1st, 2009, 06:32 PM
I don't know if this qualifies ?

My land-line telephone went on the blink and so I had to call British telecom. Advice was a new re-wire and a new socket. I drilled a few holes.:)

Eric
September 1st, 2009, 09:05 PM
I swapped out the ballast in my kitchen fluorescent light fixture tonight.

The hardest part was getting the metal cover off in the first place. It's held on by tension on six metal tabs -- if you squeeze the cover, the tabs should clear their slots and the cover should come off easily. But something was stuck inside. I didn't want to break anything by pulling too hard, so I left it alone and went to go do something else for a while.

A few minutes later there was a BANG! and I ran back in to find that the cover had fallen to the floor. It had been stuck, all right. There was a glob of tarry stuff a few inches across that had oozed out of the old ballast and collected on the inside of the metal cover!

Does anybody have any tips on removing hard tarry goop from a painted metal surface without damaging the metal? :rolleyes:

SusieMisajon
September 2nd, 2009, 02:32 AM
I'm thinking about washing some dishes. Does that count?

Kaonohi
September 2nd, 2009, 12:43 PM
Fixed the compost bin, wife's back-up lights, sliding back door and hurt feelings.

leashlaws
September 2nd, 2009, 03:12 PM
Does moving some furniture from room to room count to fix a look?
How about cleaning the drains in the dishwasher which involves removing
the arm and then a couple layers of filters and such. Oh, and I fixed the
little mini Electrolux it was clogged with DOG HAIR:eek: and didn't work
I thought it was the battery at first but the beater bars were immobile!

surlygirly
September 2nd, 2009, 07:35 PM
Moving furniture always counts!

I fixed my dog's itchies. Went to the vet, then spent ridiculous amounts of money on tests, shots, pills, vitamins, pill pockets to put the pills in so he'll take them, and neosporin to put on the scrapes the vet made on his legs. He's not horribly itchy anymore, but I think loving on him most of the afternoon helped a lot too.

This was Sam on the way home from the vet. He didn't feel good and was not impressed with the seatbelt.

LikaNui
September 5th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Someone had stolen my fairly new electric powerwasher, and a friend gave me an old Briggs & Stratton gas powerwasher. I had to do some work on it to get it running again, but I did and it did. Hooray! Spent several hours powerwashing a huge brick courtyard today that hadn't been done for perhaps a decade and was pretty mossy and skanky. It looks great now, but gawd did I get a sunburn on my shoulders. Ouch.

Menehune Man
September 5th, 2009, 10:13 PM
... and a friend gave me an old Briggs & Stratton gas powerwasher. I had to do some work on it to get it running again, but I did and it did. Hooray!

Great job! Right on Lika.
Sorry 'bout the theft though.