Real tans without ultraviolet exposure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Real tans without ultraviolet exposure

Scientists have found a way to induce melanin production in skin cells that doesn't involve exposing the skin to ultraviolet light. So when this technique eventually hits the market, you'll be able to get an honest-to-goodness tan without the risk of skin cancer from UV exposure!

Re: Real tans without ultraviolet exposure

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
    Scientists have found a way to induce melanin production in skin cells that doesn't involve exposing the skin to ultraviolet light. So when this technique eventually hits the market, you'll be able to get an honest-to-goodness tan without the risk of skin cancer from UV exposure!
    Is having a tan that important? Although Konaguy's legs could use some sun
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I have friends who have freckleds and red hair and cannot tan at all....so it might be fun for them. To me it is not that important but when I thought about it...I think it's because I take it for granted because I tan on a dime.
      I am going to pass this article on.Thanks!
      Since when is psycho a bad thing??
      Sharing withother survivors...
      www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

I don't tan - I just get dark pale.

I hope to get enough sun exposure to neutralize the blue tint to my skin...

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
          I don't tan - I just get dark pale.

I hope to get enough sun exposure to neutralize the blue tint to my skin...
          You and George Carlin...lol

I remember trying the early self-tanning lotion called QT. I believe I was about 12 years old.

I, and several friends who had chipped in to buy the stuff, spent about a week looking like pumpkins. The only parts of our bodies that had normal coloring were the areas that we missed, lending an attractive abstract pattern to our "tans." We didn't see the warning about washing our hands immediately after using the product so our palms were also a bright pumpkin color. The areas surrounding our eyes were white.

I was allowed to skip church that Sunday.
          Last edited by WindwardOahuRN; September 27, 2006, 03:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by blueyecicle
            I have friends who have freckleds and red hair and cannot tan at all....so it might be fun for them. To me it is not that important but when I thought about it...I think it's because I take it for granted because I tan on a dime.
            I am going to pass this article on.Thanks!

If this product is supposed to produce melalin will fair-skinned people be able to tan if they can't produce it naturally anyway? Or am I totally wrong
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I never understand the reason why people tan.... I don't want to mention any skin color...... why can't we just love our skin color the way they are and stop trying to make our skin color what they are not....

It goes both ways.... whites tan and blacks bleach...... why do people do these things....

LOVE yourself.... stop trying to be what you are not.

Just my 2 cents
              Tayo

FINALLY HOME IN HAWAI'I!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
              Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Queenolu
                I never understand the reason why people tan.... I don't want to mention any skin color...... why can't we just love our skin color the way they are and stop trying to make our skin color what they are not....

It goes both ways.... whites tan and blacks bleach...... why do people do these things....

LOVE yourself.... stop trying to be what you are not.

Just my 2 cents
                Just like why I can't understand why Black ladies insist on straightening their hair sometimes maybe?

People feel better themselves if they think they look better on the outside.

Comment

Yeah, I don't know why those crazy woman dye their hair and what not?? I mean why try to look un-natural??

Yes, I am j/k hehe
                  Since when is psycho a bad thing??
                  Sharing withother survivors...
                  www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

If you read the article, it lends the to the information that pale skinned people are easily succeptible to burn (duh) and that the "tan" would aid in not getting burned so easily. Me being Filipino, I don't burn too badly. My wife on the other hand is a redhead and fair skinned and burns in record time. Of course we usually buy her the latest greates Hawaiian Tropic SPF TAR LOL (ok.. ok.. 70 close enough) so that she can not get burned but she usually winds up burned somewhere anyway due to spots missed or lack of reapplying.

PLUS...(thinking out loud) maybe this could help people with that skin disorder that Michael Jackson has?
                    -kp!

Comment

It is true us fair skinned people need a little base tan before it is safe to be out in the sun. I am a guy and for me its really not about haveing this really dark even tan. I would just rather not glow when I take my shirt off. Unless I am ultra careful usually get burned once in the beginning of summer and then I am fine the rest of the season.

I have tried some taning accelerant from hawaii that seemed to work. It had coffee and a few other things in it.

Comment

Originally posted by sand86 View Post
                        It is true us fair skinned people need a little base tan before it is safe to be out in the sun. I am a guy and for me its really not about haveing this really dark even tan. I would just rather not glow when I take my shirt off. Unless I am ultra careful usually get burned once in the beginning of summer and then I am fine the rest of the season.

I have tried some taning accelerant from hawaii that seemed to work. It had coffee and a few other things in it.
                        This "base tan" stuff is a fallacy. It is not "safe" to be exposed to UV rays.

The tan the article is talking about is caused by melanin production induced by means other than UV rays.

Here's a site from the American Cancer Society about sun exposure. The little quiz briefly addresses the "base tan" subject:

http://www.cancer.org/docroot/PED/PE...p?sitearea=PED

Comment

I stand corrected. I ASSumed the darker less burn thing when i skimmed the original article. The MJ thing might be worth looking into other than the vanity. Plus if there's any real truths to:

Researchers have induced honest-to-goodness suntans in mice without exposing them to ultraviolet (UV) rays. Instead, they rubbed a lotion into the critters' skin that activated their tanning machinery, which then protected the mice from UV's cancer-causing effects.
                          If that's the case... I hope they come out with a product that would do it's job
                          -kp!

Comment

This article confuses me, especially the claim that a tan protects a person from the harmful effects of UV rays.

Comment

Working...
                            X