Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aloha From Japan!

Aloha all from Japan.

My Name is Chris and I am moving to O'ahu in November with my wife and 2 children. Got my job lined up already, but still searching for the right area to live. I have done A LOT of research on the topic of relocating to Hawaii, so I think that I have a pretty good idea what to expect when I make the move.

Just looking to drop in from time to time and read what is going on. Maybe meet some new people, and possible ask for some advice from time to time!

Mahalo and see you around!

Re: Aloha From Japan!

ohayo gazaimasu, Konichiwa, sushi, Taco, etc. ...yeah...like i would know....

welcome to ht

and wish you the best of luck on your move over here....
    Last edited by damontucker; September 27, 2006, 10:05 PM.

Comment

Arigato Gozaimashita. Kono hitokata wa yasashii mitai. Go nen Nihon sunde imasu demo mada nihongo wa dame.

Comment

Five years, huh? Sugoi!

Comment

Originally posted by The Grasshopper Unit
          ... demo mada nihongo wa dame.
          If my family, most of whom still live in Honolulu, is any indication, you'll find that many in Hawaii are in the same boat.

This is from someone who doesn't live in Hawaii anymore ... but, I don't think I'll be rebuked when I say the Japanese language skills exhibited in your post surpass most locals' knowledge. Although I'm Italian, honestly, I'm jealous.

Welcome.
          Last edited by Palama Kid; September 28, 2006, 05:20 AM.
          Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Comment

HT へようこそ!三年ぐらい日本に住んでいました。しかし、日本語を段々忘れています。
            Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

Truss me, Chris. Jonah K is NOT typical; he's an HT show-off.

I couldn't tell you what he wrote if my life depended on it and man, I'd be at a loss as to where to go to find out.
              Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Comment

Originally posted by Palama Kid
                I couldn't tell you what he wrote if my life depended on it and man, I'd be at a loss as to where to go to find out.
                "Welcome to HT! I lived in Japan for 3 years. However, " ... somethinging Japanese Dunno that verb.

Comment

Originally posted by Bard
                  "Welcome to HT! I lived in Japan for 3 years. However, " ...
                  ...I'm gradually forgetting my Japanese. (dandan nihongo wo wasureteimasu)

Comment

Ah, the honorable grasshopper, so nice to meet you and welcome you to HT . We look foward to your arrival and hope to make your aquaintance.

Na mae wa Charles san (hope thats right)
                    aka LocoBoy

Comment

Aloha & Welcome Grasshopper Unit! Looking forward to seeing you on the Boards. I am Auntie Lynn.
                      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcomes everyone.

Look at how many people are busting out the Japanese skills already! I can tell my wife that she will feel right at home in O'ahu!

Yeah, I hope I don't forget what little Japanese I know when I move back state side. Having a Japanese wife and in-laws will help me I guess. I am also hoping that I get to use it time to time at work.

Anyway, thanks again and

Yorushiku Onegaishimasu!

Comment

Konnichiha and chinkyaku to the Ohana Grasshopper.

Japan was one place I never really warmed up to... even with my multiple stays over
                          Tayo

FINALLY HOME IN HAWAI'I!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
                          Mark Twain

Comment

Queenolu,

Yeah, for some people Japan is a hard place to warm up to. As a Gaijin, literally an outside person, you will always be held at arm's length and never be accepted as part of the group that the Japanese belong to. That being said, there are still plenty of genuinely warm people and really breathtakingly beautiful places to visit.

I am ready to move on to my new life in Hawai'i, but as I have family over here, I look forward to being able to come back and visit.

Comment

Yeah I have to agree. As a tall, blue-eyed, blondie gaijin, I got stared at. A lot. As in the guys on the trains would just sit in their seats and stare up at me for the whole trip... really disconcerting The funny thing is my friend I had with me on that trip was half-Cuban, half-white, so he looked more or less Japanese at first glance, and they totally ignored him.

There are some people there that are just awesome though. We were wandering around at night looking for our first place to stay in Tokyo and this random woman walks up to us and starts asking us in English if we're lost, and gave us directions on where to go. I met up with some penpals from online who were very cool also. My friend in Higashi-Hiroshima drove us into town to check out some stuff (including the bomb memorial... there's a heart-rending experience).

We did have one fun experience in Hiroshima, while shopping for some omiyage. This one shop was owned by one of those scary old ladies you see in anime/manga but don't really believe in (tons of make-up, big fake fur coat, etc). She came up and started arguing with my penpal in Japanese. I guess she thought my penpal was a tour guide and wanted a cut, and she didn't think we could understand what she was saying either. I can't remember exactly what was said but it wasn't very nice, and the whole time we were standing there like... "ano ne..." The cashier lady at the front was kind of embarrassed about the whole thing but we were cool...

We also got to have what's reputedly the best okonomiyaki in Japan while in Higashi-Hiroshima. Place called Okonomiyaki Shirou, run by an ex pro baseball player and his wife. Really cool and homey, great food too. They got me tipsy on their diluted-down sake. Strong stuff!

Ahh, good times... fun place to visit but I dunno if I'd want to live there. My friend who went with me is maybe heading back soon with the Navy though.

Comment

Working...
                              X