No announcement yet.

Hawaii Winter League baseball returns!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaii Winter League baseball returns!

Too bad the league won't have Neighbor Island teams for now, but at least Honolulu major league baseball fans will have a chance to see some of tomorrow's Ichiros or Jason Giambis before they become famous (collect those inevitable baseball cards, too, because they could be worth big bux if the players hit the big time).

Looking at the rosters, I guess I will have to cheer for the Beachboys, because it appears that they are the ones who have some Mariners future stars on their team.

Miulang

Story, schedule and rosters here. And here's a story about some of the "rising stars" who will be playing. Check out the bio for one of the Beachboy players:
    Ching-Lung Lo, P, Beach Boys
    Affiliate: Colorado Rockies
    » Listed at 6-foot-6, 190 pounds. ... Originally from Taiwan. ... Went 10-5 with 128 strikeouts for the Modesto Nuts of the California League.
    "GO NUTS!!!!!"
    Last edited by Miulang; September 30, 2006, 07:26 AM.
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Hawaii Winter League baseball returns!

Tomorrow's games start at 3:00pm. I wonder why.
    http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Sunday games traditionally start in the afternoon... gives more families a chance to come out and watch.

Comment

According to their website while they have prices for season tickets, they don't list their prices to see just one game.

Comment

For games at Murakami Stadium, Reserved Seats are $6, General is $5.
          For games Hans L'Orange, Premium General is $5 (they don't have reserved seats yet, but seats are assigned as the orders come in), Regular General is $4. There's discounts for Military, Senior Citizen, and Students as well.

I also wanted to add that there are several non-profit organizations that are selling tickets at $5.00 each as a fundraising opportunity. They'll get to keep 100% of the profits for the first week of play if they sell and fill seats. For the rest of the season, they'll get 50% of the profits just for selling the tickets.
          Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
          We're not here to mess around
          Boston, you know we love you madly
          Hear the crowd roar to your sound
          Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
          You know we couldn't live without you
          Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

If you love baseball, go support these teams! I think the minor league games are way more fun than the major league games. There's a gestalt about minor league teams that makes going to a game fun, starting with the team names, like the Modesto NUTS (I'm still chuckling over that one), the Cincinnati MudHens, the Everett Aquasox (our mascot is a psychedelic green frog).

The owners of the Aquasox even have a "Hawaii Day" every year, where they invite a halau to perform before the game and everybody runs around wearing plastic lei.

The seats are cheap, some of the promotions really are whacky and you still get to see some pretty fine baseball, with the players all trying their best to impress the scouts.

Miulang
            Last edited by Miulang; September 30, 2006, 06:47 PM.
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe View Post
              Sunday games traditionally start in the afternoon... gives more families a chance to come out and watch.
              Yeah, I know that. I go to Rainbow games on Sundays once in a while. My point wasn't well-made. I was wondering why the league set a 3:00pm start time. UH games start at 1:00pm, ordinarily.
              http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

In the case of the UH games played on a Sunday, normally the other team needs to catch a plane back to where they came from so the sooner they start the sooner the game can end. In the HWL case all of the teams are on Oahu.

Comment

I think I'll go to these. Not Sunday, because it'll be all full of fanfare and stuff, but maybe Tuesday and regularly after that. I love minor league baseball.
                  But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                  GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
                  X