Kapiolani BLVD torn up...AGAIN!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kapiolani BLVD torn up...AGAIN!!!

Unbelievable. They should just put a friggin zipper in the median of Kapiolani BLVD, that road has been ripped open, patched and paved then ripped open over and over again.

I would think an easement on a wide sidewalk would be better to bury all of the utility crap that is under Kapiolani BLVD.

The sad part is one day a construction crew will find some bones and then the whole torn up street will be put on hold until that can be resolved.

Kapiolani BLVD has been trenched so many times it's unbelievable...almost rediculous!
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Re: Kapiolani BLVD torn up...AGAIN!!!

well with all the business and new condos going up in the area... It's better now than once the businesses and condos become full of tenants

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123 View Post
      well with all the business and new condos going up in the area... It's better now than once the businesses and condos become full of tenants

Here's the problem Manoa, even after the last business or condo is up along Kakaako, Kapiolani will always be torn up. IT's almost tradition already!

So now that this stretch of roadway is once again being ripped apart, maybe it's time to use that moment to move all the infrastructure away from the traffic areas and onto less disruptable sections of it so Kapiolani Blvd can stay a nicely paved road for as long as it was designed to be.

Comment

Usually what goes wrong along that corridor is water main or sewage pipe problems. Much of that piping is over 50 years old. Time for a replacement, huh?

I'm not surprised they never resurfaced the street with this project coming up.

What's the big deal?

Comment

I don't know but the latest C&C mandates that anytime a contractor rips up a public roadway, they cannot simply do a patch job but must resurface an entire section.

A long time ago during the time I was working for the Gas Company our crews had to repair a gas pipe along Kapiolani Blvd that a separate contractor hit with their backhoe. That was about the time AT&T ran it's first fiber optic line to Downtown from somewhere east of Kakaako along Kapiolani Blvd.

During the lunch break the next day after fixing the leak, one of our older workers, an inspector told me after patching the leak he went in to inspect the job. He saw this white cable that was severed but attached to each end of the patched gas pipe. This cable was attached along the entire length of the exposed pipe and then some. This inspector told me he picked up one of the severed ends and was surprized to see a strong red light emitting from it. He taped it up with the other end and had the trench buried. He thought it was one of our new-fangled pipe locating devices.

One of the stories covered the next day of the leak was another about Downtown Honolulu losing it's fiber connection to AT&T's main trunk.

As we talked in the break room I was reading that article. "Eh Hot Rod (the inspector) I think you found the problem with AT&T. You better tell them buggahs where the gas leak was and warn them not to attach any fiber optic lines to our gas lines.

Comment

Working...
          X