Personal Yachts, Planes and Helicopters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Personal Yachts, Planes and Helicopters

I am originally from the USA but have worked in Asia for over 10 years now. After starting several companies I plan to return to the USA and am considering Hawaii as a place to live.

Currently, I live in Taiwan where because of remnants of martial law and the ongoing Cold War tension between Taiwan and China, there are no personal boats, planes or helicopters allowed. You basically are not allowed to own or operate your own boat (unless it is small,e.g., towable and unmotorized) or plane (only hand gliders) or Helicopter (unless it is a remote controlled toy).

So I am excited at the possiblity of being able to have my own boat or plane or helicopter. I am a newbie and I cannot afford anything over $1 mil (can't even afford half that at the moment), but I want to know for less than $1 million is it possible to get an ocean going vessal that will not get tossed around by the open seas and I can use it for inter island excursions? What about an airplane? Anyone have one? Helicopter? Is it fun to use to get away?

Is it possible or have you ever used any of these to go the mainland or is it too far?

I can understand some people might not want to come out and say on this forum they have their own airplane or ocean going yacht, if that is so, please send me a PM or tell me about your friends experience.

Re: Personal Yachts, Planes and Helicopters

I have a surfboard!

Hawaii has its share of harbors, heliports, airports, and private owners are permitted to use them. I don't know how big a boat one would need to get from island to island, but if you're a sailor in any sense of the word, then you would probably already know the answer to that question.
    Unlike Florida, there aren't any housing developments here in Hawaii where people can live right next to the hangar where their plane or helicopter is, and the runway isn't really in anyone's back yard, unless you live in Oahu's concrete jungle of Salt Lake.

Most of us on this forum are more concerned with the price of gas, the logistics of mass transit, public transportation, and crumbling elevated highways. I knew a guy who had his own plane and flew from island to island transporting his employees who worked on radio towers. About 12 years ago he and his crew went down in the little twin engine somewhere between Oahu and Molokai, never to be found. I'm sure there are people who hop in their chopper and fly to work the way the rest of us flash our bus passes or load up the minivans.
    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Actually, it might be better just to use the commercial airliners for island hopping unless it is possible to fly to the mainland, but what you said about your friends plane going down, sounds scary. Maybe I would stick to a boat. On the mainland and in Europe it seems it might be nice to have a plane as there are so many more places you can fly to in a short amount of time.

An ocean going Yacht mightbe nice in Hawaii.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobart View Post
        [...]An ocean going Yacht mightbe nice in Hawaii.
        If you practice hard enough with 5 others, you can paddle an outrigger canoe from Molokai to Oahu! No room for even a carry-on tho'!

Comment

Hobart?

What kind of job you get? Like be my friend?

Seriously though... dang... wish I could be asking these type of questions!

Can't you hire someone to ask these for you?... Need a personal assistant?

I'll research these kine questions daily for you when you get here for $50,000 a year
          Last edited by damontucker; October 5, 2006, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Blue water sailing craft can be had for from 10's of thousands and up. Sailing to the mainland will take you approximately 2 weeks. Going the other way, Japan/Asia in about 3 1/2 weeks. Remember this sort of thing is not for the faint of heart. Beyond about 500 miles from land you're pretty much on your own, even today. Out there it's still the same ocean in which all those other guys from centuries ago drowned.
            Last edited by sinjin; October 6, 2006, 05:51 AM.
            “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
            http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

I want to know for less than $1 million is it possible to get an ocean going vessal that will not get tossed around by the open seas
              You're kidding, of course. Hell, cruise ships that cost hundreds of millions get "tossed around by the open seas".
              If you're serious and if you don't want to be "tossed around", it'd be best to forget about boats altogether.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                You're kidding, of course. Hell, cruise ships that cost hundreds of millions get "tossed around by the open seas".
                If you're serious and if you don't want to be "tossed around", it'd be best to forget about boats altogether.
                ...or posting on HT; that can get you "tossed around" a bit, too! (Sorry...derailment once again.)

Comment

Nice cast, Hobart. What kind of bait are you using?

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza View Post
                    Nice cast, Hobart. What kind of bait are you using?
                    Exactly what I was thinking, Maddie.
                    I loved it where Hobart said "What about an airplane? Anyone have one? Helicopter? Is it fun to use to get away?"
                    I'm just guessing here, but I think maybe Hobart's parents don't know that their computer is being used to play games.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I find the combination of wealth and cluelessness quite believable.
                      “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                      http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Helicopter?
                        Is it possible or have you ever used any of these to go the mainland or is it too far?
                        Legit or not, I wouldn't recommend trying to go from Hawai`i to the continent in a helicopter.

Comment

I've got a surfboard and a minivan!
                          Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Well in all fairness, he did say less than a million bucks. And that could mean his affordability is anywhere from a big fat zero to $999,999.99 and more closer to that zero like most of us.

I hear Honda is coming out with their own personal jet: http://www.hondajets.net/
                            Attached Files
                            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                              I hear Honda is coming out with their own personal jet: http://www.hondajets.net/
                              and it looks just like their fuggah-ugly Ridgeline.

pax

Comment

Working...
                              X