PDA

View Full Version : Soda or Pop

Mokihana
June 12th, 2004, 08:44 PM
K'den... growing up in da `âina, I always wen call soft drinks "soda". But heah in Oregon we get "pop". "Pop cans". "Pop can recycling".

So heah my question... wat u callum weah u stay?

Eric
June 12th, 2004, 10:50 PM
Somebody did a web survey of this and asked people to identify their home town, and got some interesting statistics. Here's a map (http://www.popvssoda.com/countystats/total-county.html) of the results.

Mocha
June 13th, 2004, 01:39 AM
That's an interesting map...I always say soda, can't remember what I called it when I was a kid. :confused:

dick
June 13th, 2004, 01:40 AM
When I lived in Idaho, I tripped when people actually called soda, "pop." I was like, 'whoa, dude, that's like, what they say on TV." I still called it soda, though.

Mocha
June 13th, 2004, 03:05 AM
Wonder what it's called in England? Or am I supposed to say: Great Britain!

Mokihana
June 13th, 2004, 12:37 PM
great map!! mahalo foah post um!! :) :)

Leimamo
June 14th, 2004, 03:53 AM
Interesting map, notice the Southerners call it "Coke". As in, "What kinda coke y'alls have down in this here parts?" ... joking ;)

Kilinahe
June 14th, 2004, 06:35 AM
Interesting map, notice the Southerners call it "Coke". As in, "What kinda coke y'alls have down in this here parts?" ... joking ;)

That's true. I grew up in the south and to us, any cola-esque beverage is a coke. Unless it's Sprite or orange; then it's a pop.

kukui_nut
June 14th, 2004, 11:07 AM
Whoa. Kinda blown away by that map.
Can someone say "too-much-time-on-your-hands?"

I went to college in Utah for 2 years, and yeah, some used to call it "pop". I thought it as amusing.

(So did the guy that made "the map" do one for "BVDs", too??) :p

aleno
June 14th, 2004, 10:20 PM
It's funny but when I was growing up in Hawaii I didn't drink much soda. Even in High school I remember drinking juices or ice tea. I still hardly ever drink the stuff but when I'm at work they call it pop. So I use the term pop to mean carbonated beverages.

helen
June 14th, 2004, 10:59 PM
I sort of remember when I was 10 or younger I couldn't stand drinking Coke from those bottles. The only soda I could drink was the Diamond Head Orange Pineapple soda.

I also remember that during the 1960's, my uncles, aunts and grandmother (and maybe my parents, but I am not sure) referred to it as soda water, but I think they referred to it as soda in the 70's and later.

Serenity
June 29th, 2004, 07:37 PM
That's what I would like to know,also.
Is it: Soda or Pop?.
When I was on Kansas for a while,
it was : Pop,
then I moved back here,
it's Soda.
So I just called it Soda.
Now a days...
I'm just like-
Aleno, I just drink juice
or ice tea.
BTW:
Why is it called Pop?,
Why can't people just call it,
Soda?. :confused:

AbsolutChaos
July 27th, 2004, 09:02 AM
Being raised in the South for most of my early childhood, it took me a long time to realize what "pop" referred to when I moved elsewhere--I was so used to the following:

"Ya wanna coke?"

"What kind ya got?"

"We got Coke, Pepsi, 7-up, Mountain Dew..."

"Mountain Dew, thanks."

:D

As a child, I only used "pop" in reference to my dad, a result of watching too much Sanford and Son. :p

Having now lived in more than one part of the US, I jokingly refer to all pop/soda/coke as "carbonated beverage." It's my own way of making fun of this issue. ;)

makepagirl
July 29th, 2004, 04:57 PM
down here in georgia?? everyone says coke..then which kind..dew or pepsi!!lived with my dad in oregon back in 89 & they said pop tho.if ya ask for soda here ya get soda water..yuk....