Counterfeit - My worst nightmare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Counterfeit - My worst nightmare

(okay, its not really my worst nightmare, but its close to it)

Earlier this week, someone came in (ragged dirty clothes, scratching his groin area, unshaven male) and wanted to use the internet for a few minutes. Not thinking anything unusual (and business was slow) I let him. A few minutes later, a woman comes in (assuming his GF or wife) and she saw the sign outside about the $200 laptop (used, screen isn't working) and he became interested in it. We talk and he decided to get the laptop. I pack it up with everything and more customers came in. He pays for it along with the internet usage (which he used it on that laptop) and left while I helped other customers. What I didn't know, was that the two $100 bills he gave me were counterfeit! I got that from my boss, who left a voicemail this morning.

The thing is, that he went to subway earlier before the laptop transaction, so just maybe they got counterfeits also? I just don't know what to do right now. We lost $200 and a laptop (the laptop didn't have any confidential info - just some free apps used for internet surfing) but I'm worried about the $200 we lost.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: My worst nightmare has came true

Sorry to hear that, Adrian. Gonna take longer for your boss to save up for that fire extinguisher now...

Here's a trick for you: tape a piece of white paper on the register just above the cash drawer. If you get a bill that raises your suspicion, just slide the bill between your thumbnail and the paper as you put it in the drawer, giving it a little scratch across the paper as you do.

If it leaves a slight green inkstain, it's likely a legit bill; if it leaves no stain, the chance is high that it's counterfeit. (You would think the opposite to be true - but it's not. Legit US currency will leave a small stain when scratched, unless the bill has been worn down from being in circulation a long time - which is rarely the case with a large bill.)

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
      Sorry to hear that, Adrian. Gonna take longer for your boss to save up for that fire extinguisher now...

Here's a trick for you: tape a piece of white paper on the register just above the cash drawer. If you get a bill that raises your suspicion, just slide the bill between your thumbnail and the paper as you put it in the drawer, giving it a little scratch across the paper as you do.

If it leaves a slight green inkstain, it's likely a legit bill; if it leaves no stain, the chance is high that it's counterfeit. (You would think the opposite to be true - but it's not. Legit US currency will leave a small stain when scratched, unless the bill has been worn down from being in circulation a long time - which is rarely the case with a large bill.)
      It is also mandatory here in Oregon for any business to have those markers. The ones that Only write certian colors on non-money paper. Cheap but highly affective because we have so many counterfeit issues here,

Simply make a small mark on U.S. currency. An amber mark passes the test, a dark brown or black mark means the bill is probably counterfeit

Works on all new design U.S. currency (bills series 1959 and later)
      Simple to use and very reliable*
      Made in the USA They are about 4.00 or so.
      Since when is psycho a bad thing??
      Sharing withother survivors...
      www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Adrian, do you have a description? Did you make a Police Report? I'm familiar with most of the theives who hang and rip off in the area. Ooops! I betta clarify dis.heheheh
        I turn dem in.

I'll make some call to my friends if anybody was selling a Lap Top this week. What was the brand?

Auntie Lynn
        Last edited by 1stwahine; October 6, 2006, 08:54 AM.
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

So sorry to hear about the counterfeit bills doc...that bites

A former co-worker of mine many years ago at a computer store we worked at got the same raw deal-only it was about $1200, since it was holiday time someone buying a system with large bills was not unusual...lucky for him the security cameras helped catch the person within a month-hopefully you will get a lead and catch your perp as well...

Those pens Blue mentioned I thought were standard at most businesses though...unless you don't usually get large bills....
          Hawaii my love, I will see you soon

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
            Adrian, do you have a description? Did you make a Police Report? I'm familiar with most of the theives who hang and rip off in the area. Ooops! I betta clarify dis.heheheh
            I turn dem in.

I'll make some call to my friends if anybody was selling a Lap Top this week. What was the brand?

Auntie Lynn
            Thanks for the help auntie. He was a tall haole guy that wore dirty clothes (I originally thought he was a homeless guy, but he carried something from subway [and I'm not assuming that all homeless guys has money to buy food]). If I saw him in a police lineup, then I'll rip his head off.

The computer is an HP laptop. On the top (where the screen is) the outside has a silver border with blue inside. The LCD doesn't work, and there's still the stickers on it (from the store - but their faded).

I got a counterfeit pen and checked the bills against a real one - the fake ones makes a brown mark while the real ones has a faint yellowish mark.

On the ride to work, I was arguing with myself on what will happen after today, but I told my boss that he can deduct the loss from my paycheck, and I'm stepping up my vigilance.

I guess the one thing that didn't scream out anything was wrong with him, was that he just came from subway - and if they didn't find anything suspicious, then he must have been good. Either that, or he didn't use any bogus bills while he was there.

Oh yeah, now what should I do with the counterfeits?

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456 View Post
              Oh yeah, now what should I do with the counterfeits?
              Call 911 ask for HPD to come and pick it up. Or take a walk to the Chinatown Sub-Station and file a Report no matter how late and turn it over to them.

I'll be in Chinatown tonight for First Friday and ask around.

Auntie Lynn
              Last edited by 1stwahine; October 6, 2006, 10:44 AM.

Comment

I told my boss that he can deduct the loss from my paycheck
                ...oh, I was afraid you would do something like that...
                Regarding increased vigilance, may I suggest reading this?
                Last edited by Leo Lakio; October 6, 2006, 10:54 AM.

Comment

I would too Leo. heheheh

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Adrian has offered to take this from being a crime against a business (his employer) to a crime against an individual (himself), by offering to absorb the loss as a personal responsibility.

I would hope his employer is honest enough to refuse the offer. This is a reason why businesses have insurance - to cover their losses due to criminal activity, damage, etc. Adrian has no similar recourse to recoup the loss, while his employer stands to gain from both Adrian and from his insurance (though I doubt he'd file a claim over a $200 item...especially if his employee has "paid" for it.)

Comment

It was either that, or donate my laptop to be sold (which I bought it for $200 - and with the upgrades its probably closer to $300 - and the LCD is working!).

And I'll attempt to navigate chinatown to find the police station and file a report (or maybe I'll be lucky and HPD will come by the ice cream place I'll bug them there.)

And I don't actually care if I get paid a little or alot because of this. Everyone makes mistakes and I guess I have to be responsible for not being smart enough and not ask for smaller bills. If I wanted to get paid a higher salary, then I wouldn't help a friend out to run a store - I would be at Circuit City or some other place.

All I can do is learn from this experience and maybe the person will be stupid enough and come by so that I can kick him in the head.

Comment

I would hope his employer is honest enough to refuse the offer. This is a reason why businesses have insurance - to cover their losses due to criminal activity, damage, etc.)

I completely agree. I was wondering about the insurance element here. Adrian, we all know you don't have money to spare. Your boss isn't being right here.
                        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Might I suggest your store possibly setting up some sort of a surveillance camera also? Especially since it seems like you have some good stuff that is easily accessible to the public and an understaffed store.

It doesn't even have to be working... however, it could deter someone from something like that again.

But please Doc - If your boss is making you payback something that was taken from HIS store... because He hired you... then I think your boss has some problems. What would have happened had this happened on his shift while he was working?

Comment

And I'll attempt to navigate chinatown to find the police station and file a report (or maybe I'll be lucky and HPD will come by the ice cream place I'll bug them there.)

All I can do is learn from this experience and maybe the person will be stupid enough and come by so that I can kick him in the head.
                            Adrian, Call 911 and ask for police to make a report. An Officer will come by. As for the person...if he is "stupid" enough to come again, do not engage in any form of a fight with him. People like him are very dangerous. It could cause you ~ your LIFE. If he does come ~ Yell at the top of your lungs, anything to draw attention so others can know you need HELP if possible. But never get close to him!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

It was either that, or donate my laptop to be sold (which I bought it for $200
                              Did your friend/boss/employer ask you or tell you that you would have to be personally responsible for the loss? Some friend.
                              And I don't actually care if I get paid a little or alot because of this. Everyone makes mistakes and I guess I have to be responsible for not being smart enough and not ask for smaller bills. If I wanted to get paid a higher salary, then I wouldn't help a friend out to run a store - I would be at Circuit City or some other place.
                              I recommend you learn to separate friendship and business. If your friend is holding you responsible, he is no friend.

Don't put yourself down with the "not being smart enough" line - from what I've read here on HT, you are clearly no dummy. Being "smart" doesn't always prevent you from being taken in by con artists; criminal elements thrive on taking advantage of the trusting nature of people - but your boss/friend shouldn't do so.

Legitimate people do pay for things with large bills, too; that's not enough to raise suspicion on its own.

Hope the guy's "talents" stop at counterfeiting and that he doesn't also pack heat. (Haven't I read a number of postings that suggest recruiting a couple "beeg Samoans" to help resolve issues? Sounds like a plan.)

Comment

Working...
                              X