Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who have you met or who do you want to meet in the Hawaiian music industry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who have you met or who do you want to meet in the Hawaiian music industry?

I want to meet the following artists:

Keali'i Reichel
    Raiatea Helm
    Natalie Ai Kamauu
    Danny Couch
    all three members of Na Leo Pilimehana
    Aaron Sala
    all three members of Na Palapalai
    The Brothers Cazimero
    and many more...

I've never met any of them but I want to. That would be a dream come true.

However, I got to talk to Keali'i Blaisdell on the phone! Feel free to send me an email if you want to know the details about our conversation.

E malama pono!
    'Alika

Re: Who have you met or who do you want to meet in the Hawaiian music industry?

I've met Led Ka'apana, Dennis Kamakahi, George Kahumoku, Jr. and John Keawe. All the greatest people in the world who will take time after a concert to talk story, sign CD's and let you take pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by akrauth View Post
      [...]However, I got to talk to Keali'i Blaisdell on the phone! Feel free to send me an email if you want to know the details about our conversation.[...]
      With all due respect, this sounds like a strange offer.

Comment

Met, mostly in a professional capacity:
        Jake Shimabukuro
        Raiatea Helm
        Willie K
        Amy Hanaiali`i
        Makana
        Makaha Sons
        Brittni Paiva
        Bill Tapia
        Mihana
        Hema Pa`a
        Brothers Cazimero
        Led Ka`apana
        Milton Lau
        Krash Kealoha
        Keola Beamer
        Ray Kane
        John Keawe
        Dennis Kamakahi
        David Kamakahi
        Cyril Pahinui
        Herb Ohta, Jr.
        Patrick Landeza
        Charlie Recaido
        Daniel Ho
        George Kahumoku, Jr.
        Na Palapalai
        Sean Na`auao
        Na Leo Pilimehana
        Leilani Rivera Bond
        George Naope
        Flip McDiarmid
        Leah Bernstein
        Staffs of Mountain Apple Co., Hula Records, Pa Leo Hawai`i, Aloha Music International, Pacific Hawaiian Music Distribution, Quiet Storm
        (and I've probably forgotten someone - kalamai)

Would like to meet:
        Keali`i Reichel
        Nathan Aweau
        Natalie Ai Kamauu

Comment

Geez... another whip-it-out-and-compare-to-see-whose-is-bigger thread.

I've met probably 80 to 90 percent of the names dropped so far. But I don't need to brag about it to remind others that hey, I'm Somebody!

All these people put their pants on the same way we do in the morning, they all have their little faults like we do, and they even have dark secrets like the rest of us.

Why get so excited about meeting a musician? I've heard some incredible stories on Sunday afternoons at Koolau Golf Club from musicians who shared what they were really thinking when pushy fans interrupted their personal time to wala'au and take pictures.

The reason they seem so nice and accomodating? That's local style. But just because they're smiling at you, it doesn't mean they're happy that you're bugging them.

Comment

We have eight pages and counting in the "Have you met someone famous?" thread, many of them music industry names.

Comment

The question was asked; I feel no shame in answering.

Rather than just for the effect of whipping out a sizeable list, I am pleased to say that, in the majority of these cases, I have worked with them in a professional capacity, having made my living in the music and radio worlds since 1976, primarily as a Producer. I have been fortunate to have had the opportunities to work alongside a large number of talented performers in many musical genres, and these were the ones relevant to the question.

It is a shame if the circumstances of my careers make others feel inadequate, but the shame is not mine. I take pride in the work I have done, and continue to do.

Comment

gulp...hawaiian music? ummm...how bout rock and roll? hahahahaha!
                Don't be mean,
                try to help.

Comment

Thats an impressive list Leo.

I have had the good fortune of meeting some of them...

I know one on your want to meet list... I've met Keali'i R. many times going all the way back to 97-98 school year.

I've also had many business experiences with a few also.

And fortunately... Back when I was a Student at UH Hilo... I corresponded with IZ many times and he was going to be our "headliner for the UH Hilo" Hoolaulea... but due to health reason's... he had to back out at the last moment... he was able to get us Na Leo Pili...as a replacement....and I had the Pleasure...(or should I say embarassment) of picking them up in an old Beater University of Hawaii Van...

In the meantime... IZ and I continued to be friends through the internet...and he made a promise to me that he would come back and do a show for the students at UH HILO/HawCC....

He made good with his promise...and that was his last show ever on the big island ever.... Many of us had the pleasure of spending time with him back stage...and he sang beautifully....

He put on two 90 minute shows at the crown room...and due to his condition at the time... braddah never got up off his chair in between shows.... we just brought him some water and some pupu's... checked the O2 Levels on his oxygen tanks...and let him be at peace.... The second show... was very sad... because those that had become close to him chatting online with him... knew that this was probably the last time that we would see the man in person...

While he didn't get to meet many of his online friends in person... I'm proud to say that me and IZ were tight on the internet... I gave him shat the first time he cancelled and provided Na Leo as a replacement...and he gave me his promise to come back to the big island....and with that...

I'm crying now...

nuff said...
                  Last edited by damontucker; October 7, 2006, 09:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123 View Post
                    [...]While he didn't get to meet many of his online friends in person... [...]
                    More than you might expect, Manoa. Iz even gives a shout out to his cyber ohana in the liner notes of one of his CDs. His audiences were full of his internet friends. Those who hadn't met him previously were allowed autographs and picture taking...at least at his gigs that I attended.

It's funny you mention Iz because only 2 days ago I was remembering an email he sent me and his email text alternated between caps and lower case. You know, the kind that's hard on the eyes; that's difficult to read! While we let newcomers to HT know that's a no-no I doubt anyone would've told Iz to stop! I have that email framed!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                      More than you might expect, Manoa. Iz even gives a shout out to his cyber ohana in the liner notes of one of his CDs. His audiences were full of his internet friends. Those who hadn't met him previously were allowed autographs and picture taking...at least at his gigs that I attended.
                      I thinks that's part of the beauty of the Man....

I have that email framed!
                      I wish I still had my correspondences with him... I never thought of keeping them...
                      He is truly a Hero in my upmost respect and gave me a lot of good words while my moms health was not the best...yet his own wasn't either.

When my wife and I got married... we used mostly his songs during our reception...

Why am I tearing up writing this...

Before I go to sleep... let me pass on these words that IZ gave to me when I PM'd him regarding the fact that I was interested in a Local Wahine that I wasn't sure that was interested in me more than 10 years ago..

(please remember...this is from my memory)...

It doesn't matter whether your white or black... people in Hawaii have a love of everyone.... "If your Hawaiian girlfriend loves you for who you are.... go for her... as long as you take care of her..."

I wanted to personally ask him his views of a haole dating a local wahine...

I felt very intimidated being "Haole" and dating my wife... IZ truly inspired me by a no B.S. attitude about just go for it.... and to that I'm thankful still to this day.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post

It's funny you mention Iz because only 2 days ago I was remembering an email he sent me and his email text alternated between caps and lower case. You know, the kind that's hard on the eyes; that's difficult to read! While we let newcomers to HT know that's a no-no I doubt anyone would've told Iz to stop! I have that email framed!

So what did he say in that e-mail? Tell me please! I've gotta know! If you don't want to post it, you can send me an e-mail or a PM.

ttyl!
                        'Alika

Comment

Originally posted by akrauth View Post
                          So what did he say in that e-mail? Tell me please! I've gotta know! If you don't want to post it, you can send me an e-mail or a PM.

ttyl!
                          Gee, Akrauth, he might have said, "since this is a private email, I'm sure you won't go plastering it all over in the internet".

(Of course, framing it and hanging it on your wall would be ok. )

Comment

Met these people in person:
                            Keali'i Reichel
                            Keali'i Blaisdell
                            Jake Shimabukuro
                            Barry Flannagan
                            Keli'i Kaneali'i
                            Brother Noland

I actually talked to Keali'i Blasidell on the phone. If you want details e-mail me.

Want to meet:
                            Na Leo Pilimehana
                            Cyril Pahinui
                            Aaron Sala
                            Makana
                            Amy Hanaii'i Gilliom
                            Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe View Post
                              Geez... another whip-it-out-and-compare-to-see-whose-is-bigger thread.

The reason they seem so nice and accomodating? That's local style. But just because they're smiling at you, it doesn't mean they're happy that you're bugging them.
                              What an azzhole!

Nobody's holding a gun to your head to participate in this otherwise positive thread. And don't put words in their mouths, I've talked to them also and know that they are delighted to have the support of their fans.

Comment

Working...
                              X