Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Injured pair see red as flying bra triggers rollover accident on I-75

source

So, what was the unidentified flying object? It wasn't a piece of tire, a rock, or even an animal.

It was a red bra, previously hung on the antenna of a Mercury Sable occupied by four teenage girls who, well, went a little wild. And the Ohio Highway Patrol is considering charges against them.

Mr. Long, 47, of Toledo, said he and Mr. Campbell, 37, also of Toledo, saw the girls sticking their pierced tongues out and making inappropriate gestures toward them. He said one girl climbed from the back of the car to the front, hung a red bra on the antenna, and rolled up the window.
    This is why we should raise the driving age to 20. (hey, I didn't get my license until two months ago, and I'm alright.)
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: Injured pair see red as flying bra triggers rollover accident on I-75

What? I hope the Ohio Highway Patrol quits "considering" and throws the book at them! I don't give a rip if they're teenagers...if they think it's okay to endanger the lives of other people, they should be held responsible and ready to face the consequences just like any adult would.

The stupid girls are lucky that their jackassery didn't cause even more damage. They're lucky none of THEM lost their lives that day!
    Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
    We're not here to mess around
    Boston, you know we love you madly
    Hear the crowd roar to your sound
    Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
    You know we couldn't live without you
    Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

What a crying shame this is..... those girls are sooo lucky that none of the men died from the accident they caused.

All of them should be charged for public endangerment or something.

They should all be counting their lucky stars that it was not worst.
      Tayo

FINALLY HOME IN HAWAI'I!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
      Mark Twain

Comment

Amazing. I can understand the victim being cited for not wearing a seat belt but being cited for not maintaining control of his car is ridiculous. He was swerving to avoid being hit by a post-identified, flying red bra, fer crissake. I bet he tried like heck to maintain control. And, so far, he's the only one cited? Yep...throw the book at the girls and, hopefully, teach 'em a lesson. I wonder if they found the initial 3 in time to do toxicology tests. I also wonder what some appropriate punishments might be for the girls...how about all 4 having to stand on the roadside during rush hour traffic (slow, creeping kind so it's not dangerous), all wearing or holding signs, for <fill in the blank> number of days as follows:
        Driver - "I'm the idiot, immature driver"
        Passenger - "I'm the idiot, immature passenger who was having fun."
        2nd passenger - "I'm the other idiot, immature passenger who was having fun"
        Bra Passenger - (wearing red bra over a tank top) - "I'm the perp. Bras are dangerous. Keep yours on."

Comment

Yes indeed, tutusue, the Judge Boyd Mossman technique of public accountability! (I think he was the judge that would do that on Maui.)

Love that!
          I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

If I understand the story correctly, an object fell off of a car, and another driver crashed his car trying to avoid it.

Every now and then, a loose object of some sort, even a bird or an animal, is going to suddenly appear in front of your car. It's inevitable. You need to be able to deal with that without wrecking your car or endangering other people's lives.

What exactly did the girls do that has incurred such wrath in this thread? Yes, they were screwing around in a moving vehicle, which was stupid. But that didn't cause the accident. Is putting a bra on your antenna illegal? What if it had been a T-shirt that someone left in the back of a pickup truck? If it flew out of the back of the truck and somebody drove off the road trying to avoid it, would you still be so angry?

"Mr. Long, 47, of Toledo, said he and Mr. Campbell, 37, also of Toledo, saw the girls sticking their pierced tongues out and making inappropriate gestures toward them. He said one girl climbed from the back of the car to the front, hung a red bra on the antenna, and rolled up the window."

If the guy in the car knew the girls were screwing around, and if he saw one of them tie the bra on the antenna, then why was he following so closely? Hoping to see boobies, probably. They both saw the girl tie the bra to the antenna. How could he possibly be so shocked that he drove off the road?

It was a bra, for heaven's sake. A little scrap of material.

A few weeks ago, a semi-truck ahead of me on the H1 near Kapolei lost the tread on one of his rear tires. Huge pieces of rubber were flying amazingly high into the air and smashing down all around me. I was in my convertible.

Did I drive off the road and roll my car? Of course not. I drove right through it, even though any of those pieces of tread could have killed me.

Anyone who drives off the road trying to avoid hitting a flying piece of Lycra should have to take remedial driver's ed.
            Last edited by MadAzza; October 8, 2006, 02:25 PM.

Comment

My only thoughts is why is he swerving to avoid a bra?

What kind of damage could that have done to his car? It wasn't an animal or person... it was a friggin bra!

Heck... I probably would have swerved to TRY AND CATCH it
              As long as I swerved safely

Sounds to me like the buggah had his eyes on the girls and not the road where they should have been in the first place.

People here in Hawaii are always hanging clothes off their antenna's (surf shorts to dry out...etc.... surf bikini tops... etc)

Comment

I love this line in the article:
                Mr. Campbell, who was tossed from the car as it flipped, was cited for not wearing a seat belt and for failure to maintain control of his vehicle. He's a little upset that, so far, he's the only one to get a ticket.
                I'm with MadAzza. Methinks Mr. Campbell was probably enjoying the show 'til his hands got a little slippery on that steering wheel. If he thought they were a danger, and not an appealing bit of commuter entertainment, why'd he stick around long enough to catch so many details? I dunno about you, but when I come upon another driver being a menace, I fall back or get past, I don't follow and watch.

The kids were being reckless, and could get dinged for that... or for attaching the bra to the antenna in the first place (some states' laws are pretty particular about what you can attach to your car). But IMHO, you'd have to be a pretty incompetent driver (maybe going a bit too fast and getting a bit too distracted) to lose control of and flip your vehicle for a strappy bit of lingerie.

Sometimes it's a cardboard box, sometimes it's a bra, sometimes it's a cat. It ain't pretty, but sometimes it's you or the cat, and if so, the cat's just gonna haveta get splattered.

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza View Post
                  [...]Anyone who drives off the road trying to avoid hitting a flying piece of Lycra should have to take remedial driver's ed.
                  Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                  [...]I'm with MadAzza. Methinks Mr. Campbell was probably enjoying the show 'til his hands got a little slippery on that steering wheel.[...]
                  Ok...you 2 gave me a new perspective as I was coming from a "mom perspective"! Having raised 2 daughters all I could think of is how I would've reacted had they been involved in that same situation...esp. the girl with the bra who climbed over from the back seat, leaned out the window and hung the bra on the antenna! And I would've been horrified that someone got in an accident because of (my) girls' stupidity. But, yah, the guys were probably as stupid as the girls!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                    Ok...you 2 gave me a new perspective as I was coming from a "mom perspective"! Having raised 2 daughters all I could think of is how I would've reacted had they been involved in that same situation...esp. the girl with the bra who climbed over from the back seat, leaned out the window and hung the bra on the antenna! And I would've been horrified that someone got in an accident because of (my) girls' stupidity. But, yah, the guys were probably as stupid as the girls!
                    For some reason I fail to see the "what if were a cardboard box instead?" connection.

I know that there are times when we forget to secure loose objects that fly out of our cars/trucks, but these girls intentionally put something out there that would obviously fly away (they were on a highway, right?). I'll be honest when I say that I absolutely LOATHE stupid young beeeeatches on the roads, and I still find it hard to believe that some stupid girl would lean out the window just to hang a freaking bra on the car's antenna.

Even though the male drivers were not as alert as they should have been, I think it still really sucks that they have fractured bones and potential liver damage over the recklessness of these girls, and I still hope they get some kind of punishment.

Comment

Maybe the bra was wet from swimming at the beach and she had a t-shirt on and she just wanted a quick dry solution to drying her bra?

Still the guy should have kept his eyes on the road.... or at least lurked behind them slowly and then wait for the right moment to um.... get a phone number...doh...j/k

Comment

When I was seventeen and pretty, and prone to wearing very short shorts, I was sitting at a bus stop in Wahiawa and caused an accident. I was sitting on the ground, leaning against a building, with my feet flat on the ground, my knees up (knees demurely together), reading a book while waiting for the bus...the shorts were very short...and some poor sod drove by and couldn't stop looking and ran into the car in front of him.

Maybe it was the same guy?
                        http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                        http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
                          For some reason I fail to see the "what if were a cardboard box instead?" connection.
                          Well, you'll need to ask PZ about that one as he's the one who mentioned it altho' that's not his quote. I read it to mean that there are various obstacles when we're driving...including the linked cardboard box story (I remember that tragic accident)...and a bra is a pretty insignificant obstacle by nature of it's size and material. The guys should've just run over it (the cat reference).
                          I know that there are times when we forget to secure loose objects that fly out of our cars/trucks, but these girls intentionally put something out there that would obviously fly away (they were on a highway, right?). I'll be honest when I say that I absolutely LOATHE stupid young beeeeatches on the roads, and I still find it hard to believe that some stupid girl would lean out the window just to hang a freaking bra on the car's antenna.
                          Yep! Stupid to da max! And she crawled from the back to the front seat...while the car was in motion...to lean out the window. What wasn't mentioned in the article was if there was someone in the passenger seat. Somehow I doubt there was one girl driving and 3 girls in the back seat!
                          Even though the male drivers were not as alert as they should have been, I think it still really sucks that they have fractured bones and potential liver damage over the recklessness of these girls, and I still hope they get some kind of punishment.
                          PZ brought up a good point. That is, when one witnesses stupid and/or dangerous driving then one should hang back or move ahead as fast as is safely possible. I wonder how close the guys car was to the gals car because had it been trailing at a decent distance they would've seen the bra airborne long enough to safely move to another lane or just run over it. Purely conjecture but the guys must've been very distracted and pretty darn close to the girls so that when the bra took flight it was right in front of them and startled them into such an impulsive swerve that it caused the car to flip. Of course, we'll never know unless a red bra in flight warrants an interview on the Today Show!

I agree...the girls need to accept responsibility for their stupidity with some sort of punishment. In my opinion the guys have already been punished.

See...if Maddie and PZ hadn't posted their opinions I never woulda given this thread a second thought!

Comment

Oops! A double post somehow. <shrug> <delete>
                            Last edited by tutusue; October 8, 2006, 10:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                              See...if Maddie and PZ hadn't posted their opinions I never woulda given this thread a second thought!
                              I totally see where Maddie and PZ are coming from...and even if authorities don't punish them, I can already imagine the crap and humiliation they'll get from their peers in school. High school kids can be so mean these days. They can do hours of community service no problem without a second thought, but dealing with the taunts and teasing from classmates is probably going to be the end of the world for them.

Comment

Working...
                              X