Recording Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recording Questions

The very lucid Tower Records thread/dialogue got me to thinking as I prepare to enter the recording studio in a few days. While I've spent a fortunate lot of time strapped into the cans, the TR conversation made it very clear how particular the music consumer is, and it's a little scary.

It occurs to me that many here at HT are studio veterans, radio hounds or other willing participants in the brutal snake pit of the music industry. Who better to turn to for advice when planning a release for another blissful lemming?

I'm looking for advice, I suppose. I've had a release with national distribution, but things were a lot different back then 1995. Or 1996. It could have been 1997. Whatever.

At any rate, whatever tips, taunts or tattles esteemed HTers might offer will be carefully considered and quite possibly attempted. For the last recording project I was involved with, we used a box of wooden matches to get just the right percussive effect. I'm looking for little tricks like that pertaining to the recording, mixing, manufacture, release and promotion of a record.

I adore the band and the music we make, but I'm well aware that an album is mostly a smoke and mirrors show. I figure I'll consult magicians. Thanks in advance.
    Don't be mean,
    try to help.

Re: Recording Questions

jdub ... does your band have a myspace page?

Myspace basically wasn't much a few years ago... but as soon as they added the Music connection... it took off!

Many Musicians seem to communicate and share their music via MYSPACE.

Comment

Originally posted by jdub View Post
      The very lucid Tower Records thread/dialogue got me to thinking as I prepare to enter the recording studio in a few days. While I've spent a fortunate lot of time strapped into the cans, the TR conversation made it very clear how particular the music consumer is, and it's a little scary.

It occurs to me that many here at HT are studio veterans, radio hounds or other willing participants in the brutal snake pit of the music industry. Who better to turn to for advice when planning a release for another blissful lemming?

I'm looking for advice, I suppose. I've had a release with national distribution, but things were a lot different back then 1995. Or 1996. It could have been 1997. Whatever.

At any rate, whatever tips, taunts or tattles esteemed HTers might offer will be carefully considered and quite possibly attempted. For the last recording project I was involved with, we used a box of wooden matches to get just the right percussive effect. I'm looking for little tricks like that pertaining to the recording, mixing, manufacture, release and promotion of a record.

I adore the band and the music we make, but I'm well aware that an album is mostly a smoke and mirrors show. I figure I'll consult magicians. Thanks in advance.
      J Dub

If you have more specific questions with regards to recording tecniques, fire away. I'm an engineer/producer and have worked with some great people. Learned alot on the process.

Also, if you need good quality mastering for your disc once it's done, let me know, I do pro mastering for budget conscious bands. I can mix too.
      Either way...just make sure you spend the time getting the sound good going in ie: don't rely on plug ins to "fix it in the mix". Though, todays plug ins allow way more flexibility with regards to "fixing" stuff, it's always best to get a great sound in the rexcording process.

Like I said, PM me with any questions you may have, and I'll answer them the best I can.

In the meanwhile you can check out some of what I've done here...

www.cuefactory.com
      http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
      Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
      Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123 View Post
        jdub ... does your band have a myspace page?
        I've been meaning to get a myspace page together for a long time. I think one of our regulars even established one for us, but it just sat there once the initial registration was undertaken. Once I find someone to spend some time on it, and we're done with the record, I'll make certain to get a fine page happening. Mahalo for the input braddah!
        Don't be mean,
        try to help.

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
          J Dub

If you have more specific questions with regards to recording tecniques, fire away. I'm an engineer/producer and have worked with some great people. Learned alot on the process.

Also, if you need good quality mastering for your disc once it's done, let me know, I do pro mastering for budget conscious bands. I can mix too.
          Either way...just make sure you spend the time getting the sound good going in ie: don't rely on plug ins to "fix it in the mix". Though, todays plug ins allow way more flexibility with regards to "fixing" stuff, it's always best to get a great sound in the rexcording process.

Like I said, PM me with any questions you may have, and I'll answer them the best I can.
          Thanks, man. I couldn't get your cuefactory page to work because my ancient pc blows. Yours is good advice regarding getting the sound right "going in." I'll be looking to rent a Fender Twin for the project, as my gig amp is a valvestate number that works well for the performance context, but will fall short in the studio. I'm gonna go with the purest tube sound I know, something to flatter my strat.

We're going essentially live, with vocal and solo overdubs after the initial performance. I'm certain that I'll choke a solo if I try to get perfect on the fly, so I relish the opportunity to go in after and put down a solo I'll be able to live with for the rest of my life.

As for mastering, I'm not sure if that's part of the package where we're recording. I'll keep Cue Factory in mind. Mahalo.
          Don't be mean,
          try to help.

Comment

Thanks, man. I couldn't get your cuefactory page to work because my ancient pc blows. Yours is good advice regarding getting the sound right "going in." I'll be looking to rent a Fender Twin for the project, as my gig amp is a valvestate number that works well for the performance context, but will fall short in the studio. I'm gonna go with the purest tube sound I know, something to flatter my strat.

We're going essentially live, with vocal and solo overdubs after the initial performance. I'm certain that I'll choke a solo if I try to get perfect on the fly, so I relish the opportunity to go in after and put down a solo I'll be able to live with for the rest of my life.

As for mastering, I'm not sure if that's part of the package where we're recording. I'll keep Cue Factory in mind. Mahalo.
            Actually, as we were both posting, the page was undergoing construction. The music clips are up in a nice, quick loading Flash Player, and please go to the "mastering" link to hear some samples of my work.

Good idea with the twin...of course, the more amps you have on hand, the merrier. You never know what some little cheap amp sounds like all mic'd up, so don't rule anything out.

Going live is tough, but if you got the band tight, it might work out ok.
            Solos are best done seperately, just to really get things under the microscope.

Good luck !
            http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
            Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
            Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

I knew that folks here at HT would be supportive and kind. Thanks tiki and manoa for your valuable insight.

We'll be rehearsing all week before we start recording on Thursday, and have played 9 of the last 11 nights. I'm fried. It would be nice to get some down time before recording but I don't see that happening. I'll be working my 10-hour a day schmuck job before toddling over to the studio each night. Maybe in my delerium I can channel some brilliant chops for my solos. Here's hoping.
              Don't be mean,
              try to help.

Comment

Sweet. I've just learned that while I'm at work on Thursday, the rest of the lads (and the lass) will do most of the live work. This means I'll get to stroll in like a rock star and track in my guitar parts. I'll still have to play live on my originals, but I'm definitely more comfortable with that than having to be perfect on every other track, too. Looks like Saturday will be spent on leads. Sweet.
                Don't be mean,
                try to help.

Comment

Good Luck Jdub! Giff um! And if you eva need a "Body Guard" when you get Famous you juss let Auntie know.

I'll get you da Bess!!!

Auntie Lynn
                  Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                  Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

We're going essentially live, with vocal and solo overdubs after the initial performance.
                    Good. There's nothing that pisses me off more (well, almost nothing) than bands whose live performance is nothing at all like their recordings. If they're gonna use studio magic, they'd damn well better be able to recreate it live and onstage.
                    So good for you, bro, and good luck!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
                      Good Luck Jdub! Giff um! And if you eva need a "Body Guard" when you get Famous you juss let Auntie know.

I'll get you da Bess!!!

Auntie Lynn
                      I have no doubt about that, Auntie! I mean the bodyguard part. I've tried and failed to get famous playing music. I'll be happy with a recording I can live with. Best case scenario: The record allows us to play in Ireland.

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                      Good. There's nothing that pisses me off more (well, almost nothing) than bands whose live performance is nothing at all like their recordings. If they're gonna use studio magic, they'd damn well better be able to recreate it live and onstage.
                      So good for you, bro, and good luck!
                      We decided to go live in part due to budget constraints, but we all agreed it's also the only way to come close to what our live shows are like. I'm terrified that this record will come out too demo-ey, but at this point, the fat's in the fire.

Thanks for the encouraging words, yall. I continue to stagger at the profuse and genuine Aloha here at HT.
                      Don't be mean,
                      try to help.

Comment

I have no doubt about that, Auntie! I mean the bodyguard part. I've tried and failed to get famous playing music. I'll be happy with a recording I can live with. Best case scenario: The record allows us to play in Ireland.
                        May the LUCK of The Irish Smile upon you and your Band!

Auntie Lynn
                        Last edited by 1stwahine; October 10, 2006, 05:44 PM.
                        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

We'll be rehearsing all week before we start recording on Thursday, and have played 9 of the last 11 nights. I'm fried. It would be nice to get some down time before recording but I don't see that happening.
                          Back when I was more active in video games, my best scores came in the first game of the day. Sometimes even when I'd taken a break for a day or two. No idea if it's the same for you or for your music. But something to think about.

Comment

We're going essentially live, with vocal and solo overdubs after the initial performance.
                            Good plan. I've noticed when I did a stint at KTUH that some of the groups liked the results they had there over what the did in a studio where they were all heavily isolated. That just wasn't what they were used to.

One thing I've noticed in many commercial songs I like are the "bit parts". It's instruments or arrangements that just seem to jump in and out of the song. If all the instruments play the same all the way though, then the song starts to get monotonous by about halfway.

Comment

Well, we pulled it off. We got 13 songs to basic tracking in three days. I had my doubts. I think it helped that I wasn't there for Day One. They got five down, and I think I would've been in the way had I been there.

Day Two was productive, as well. I was there for the whole 12 hours. At about hour ten, drummer Shon cracked open the fifth of Jack Daniels my boss gave me for my birthday (along with a half-dozen respectable cigars and Day Two off). Then the engineer took a shot at it, and then everyone else. The bottle was gone in less than an hour. Certainly not advisable at the beginning of a session, but by the time hour ten of Day Two rolled around, we were all frazzled. The whiskey was great for morale.

Day Three saw us get the final two songs down, with some minor overdub stuff thrown in for good measure while we waited for drummer Shon (it's always the drummer). That 10 hour session was followed by another regular gig at the bar until 1:30am. Not surprising that although the earthquake rattled me awake at 7:10am, I think I fell back asleep before it was actually over.

At any rate, now the fun part starts. I'll get rough mixes of the work done for solo practice and arrangement awareness, and be ready to go in alone and throw down. Thanks for the kind words, yall.
                              Don't be mean,
                              try to help.

Comment

Working...
                              X