No announcement yet.

best public school districts on O'ahu?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best public school districts on O'ahu?

Aloha! I am planning to move to O'ahu from California in a few months. I have been looking to rent in a nice neighnorhood - especially one in a great public school district. I was wondering, does anyone know where the best public schools are for an elementary school education?

I also need to find job. I'm a recent college graduate who is attracted to the diverse employment possibilities in O'ahu. Is anyone familiar with any of the law firms downtown? Thanks!

Christina

Re: best public school districts on O'ahu?

Um... err... don't know where to go with this...

Maybe you should secure a job first... then be lucky you find a rental in the price range that accomodates your income.... then once you have found a location... if you choose to put your child through public schools... you will have to send them to the closest one to where you are living.

If your coming over here with a bankload of money and can live anywhere then I would say...Try to send your kids to Private Schools if you can.

I have spoken much about the schools and so have others... search around and you will probably find the answer your looking for.

Good luck
    Last edited by damontucker; October 9, 2006, 07:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by vfosson View Post
      Aloha! I am planning to move to O'ahu from California in a few months. I have been looking to rent in a nice neighnorhood - especially one in a great public school district. I was wondering, does anyone know where the best public schools are for an elementary school education?

I also need to find job. I'm a recent college graduate who is attracted to the diverse employment possibilities in O'ahu. Is anyone familiar with any of the law firms downtown? Thanks!
      Ha, ha! Hilarious!

Thanks for the laugh!

Comment

Hi Christina...my guess is you'll get the same answers as you got here.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
          Hi Christina...my guess is you'll get the same answers as you got here.
          Maybe she thinks the public schools have greatly improved in the past week, or maybe that the law firms have suddenly in the past week decided to hire inexperienced new arrivals from the mainland?

Comment

Hmm, do I sense some hostility or just a pathetic attempt at witty sarcasm? I wasn't aware that I said something amusing, although I guess feeble minds are easily amused.

I was posting this thread again to people in the "education" thread who could perhaps answer my questions a little better. If you had already replied, why waste your time replying again? Oh I'm sorry - maybe you have nothing better to do. Exuse me while I do the responsible thing and uh - do some research before I move. How unheard of!

In respone to :
            Maybe you should secure a job first... then be lucky you find a rental in the price range that accomodates your income.... then once you have found a location... if you choose to put your child through public schools... you will have to send them to the closest one to where you are living.

Actually, since I am in fact exploring living conditions and job options and opportunities before I move - I'm obviously not relying on "luck." And I do in fact have enough money, in addition to having friends with a summer house on the beach where I can stay until I decide where the best pulic schools are for our needs - at least where my daugher hopefully won't pick up pidgin - or whatever.

So thank you - but please, spare me the remarks that don't have something constructive to say in response to my questions.

~Christina

Comment

And I do in fact have enough money, in addition to having friends with a summer house on the beach where I can stay until I decide where the best pulic schools are for our needs - at least where my daugher hopefully won't pick up pidgin - or whatever.
              ~Christina
              If your hoping your daughter won't pick up pidgin... then maybe you should reconsider moving to Hawaii.

Comment

I also need to find job. I'm a recent college graduate who is attracted to the diverse employment possibilities in O'ahu.
                Christina
                You will no doubt be unable to keep up with the many offers that will come your way. Inexperienced smart-mouthed mainlanders are in great demand here.

Especially ones that think it's okay to sneer at the way locals talk.

C'mon over and grab some aloha! {{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}

Why are the lyrics from "Instant Karma" suddenly popping up in my head?
                Last edited by WindwardOahuRN; October 10, 2006, 09:37 AM.

Comment

Oh, God, forget it. It's clearly hopeless.

Post deleted.

Comment

a couple of things:

-picking up pidgin isn't a bad thing. Immersing in it doesn't preclude a child's ability to learn and speak American Standard English. If your household doesn't cement the pidgin experience, your child will undoubtedly become fluent in both.

-in my opinion, the better public school districts are located where there aren't too many private schools to be found. On the neighbor isles, the bell curve remains in the public school system, so those elementary-through-high school experiences are big, varied and buff public schools, with track records of producing many valedictorians each year. In other words, as many Presidential Scholars as pregnant teens will be produced annually in these public high schools. Your kid will become what YOU make him/her, but every single influence and social peer group can be found. This is a positive.

-it is expensive to live here. And the social totems aren't at all what you are used to. Somebody on this board once said "Hawaii is the least racist but the most racial place" and I agree with that sentiment. You will start off as a malihini (newcomer) and then evolve into becoming a haole (many think these terms are synonymous, but they are not). The hardest mental and social transitions you might endure won't be acclimating to your ethnic class, but going from a continental-thinker to an island-thinker. Finity changes a community.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza View Post
                      Oh, God, forget it. It's clearly hopeless.

Post deleted.
                      I saw it. ITA'd.

Agree with the "clearly hopeless" eval, too.

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN View Post
                        Inexperienced smart-mouthed mainlanders are in great demand here.
                        That just made my day.
                        “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                        http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

I guess feeble minds are easily amused.
                          ~~~~~~~
                          So thank you - but please, spare me the remarks that don't have something constructive to say in response to my questions.
                          Christina, in the realm of something constructive:

I hope you learn soon that this is a bad attitude to take with people when you are asking them to help you. If you have a flat tire on the road, and you flag down someone who is willing to assist, don't sit there while they put on your spare and say things like: "don't take off the lug nuts in that order" or "why can't you do this faster - god, you're dumb." An adversarial tone like this will NOT serve you well in the world of Law, either - guaranteed.

When you pose questions (or multiple posts of the same question) in a public forum, you can't expect only responses that already fit what you wish to hear. Close your mouth, open your eyes, and recognize the helpful comments that you did get, both here and in the other thread. Especially the ones about pidgin - you might as well have said "where can I live in Mexico where my daughter won't learn any of that nasty Spanish?"

If you want further constructive assistance, you might want to retune your attitude, post a few sincere apologies, and try all over again. An open mind catches more ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by vfosson

Christina
                            Here's a link for info on public schools in Hawai'i....
                            http://doe.k12.hi.us/

Here are links to a couple of good law firms that have offices in downtown Honolulu....
                            http://www.caselombardi.com/
                            http://www.caselombardi.com/

Originally posted by vfosson
                            Actually, since I am in fact exploring living conditions and job options and opportunities before I move - I'm obviously not relying on "luck." And I do in fact have enough money, in addition to having friends with a summer house on the beach where I can stay until I decide where the best pulic schools are for our needs - at least where my daugher hopefully won't pick up pidgin - or whatever.

Before you apply to law firms in here in Hawai'i, it might be beneficial if you improve your proofreading skills somewhat.
                            Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

Aw c'mon. She coulda done a lot worse with "public."

Comment

Working...
                              X