The 'Ilima Awards 2006

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 'Ilima Awards 2006

Well, Honolulu Magazine has its Hale `Aina awards, the Star-Bulletin has its Hawaii's Best awards, and the Honolulu Advertiser has its 'Ilima Awards. The latest list has been posted, and it includes:

Best Restaurant: Alan Wong's Restaurant

Critics' Choice:
    • Best New Restaurant: Ola (Turtle Bay Resort)
    • Best Fine Dining Restaurants: Chef Mavro, 12th Avenue Grill, Town
    • Best Casual Restaurants: Wahoo's Fish Taco, Nico's at Pier 38, Neo-Nabe
    • Best Ethnic Restaurants: Hakkei, Max's of Manila, Little Village Noodle House

People's Choice:
    • Best New Restaurant: Romano's Macaroni Grill
    • Best Fine Dining Restaurants: Roy's, Hy's Steak House, Hoku's
    • Best Casual Restaurants: Zippy's, Big City Diner, California Pizza Kitchen
    • Best Ethnic Restaurants: Keo's in Waikiki, Gyotaku, Assaggio
    Like last year, few surprises. (Alan Wong's overall win is a repeat from last year, too.) Any thoughts on any of these institutions? Any restaurants not listed that you'd give these awards to?

Re: The 'Ilima Awards 2006

I noticed the protocol was different this year with the critics getting their say in every category. Not much overlap, actually none, between what the people voted for and what the critics say.

I was surprised to see 12th Ave Grill and town in the fine dining category as they are both casual and not terribly expensive. Maybe they need to create a category to accommodate restaurants like those.

No surprises though - maybe next year!

Comment

It's interesting how little overlap there is between people's choices and critics choices. Or maybe it's not so interesting.

Comment

Interesting how chains can be considered "ethnic" nowadays. I've never eaten at a chain that was authentic.
        Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

My eating-out and trying-new-places friends like 12th Avenue Grill and Town very much; I've only been to 12th Avenue once and liked what I had, but wasn't especially impressed. I've been crazy busy this year with graduate school, so I haven't been out with them as much, but they generally have very good taste. It doesn't surprise me that their tastes line up with the critics.
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

How wonderful that Ola made the list. BF and have been frequenting that place recently since he's been getting off work late (he works at TBR).

Sometimes I question the People's Choice. It's as if they're afraid to step out of their comfort zone.
            Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
            We're not here to mess around
            Boston, you know we love you madly
            Hear the crowd roar to your sound
            Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
            You know we couldn't live without you
            Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Working...
            X