Affordable housing on Kahala Ave?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Affordable housing on Kahala Ave?

I dunno if billionaire Gensiro Kawamoto is really sincere, but I am giddy at the thought that he would want some of his properties in that area to be rented by kanaka maoli for $200/mo. Heh. It might cause some people who live there now to want to move somewhere else because "there goes the neighborhood".

Gensiro Kawamoto, the Japanese billionaire who in recent years has become the largest property owner on O'ahu's priciest avenue of residential real estate, said he wants to turn most of his 18 homes there into public museums and cheap rental housing.

In Kawamoto's vision, a mix of big modern mansions and smaller old homes on 10 adjacent properties would be rented to Native Hawaiians for as little as $100 to $200 a month.
    Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Affordable housing on Kahala Ave?

I know people out in Hawaii Kai who have rented homes from this nut job. I think he likes to set people up and then turn them into victims. The homes in Hawaii Kai he rented were dumps, poorly managed, if managed at all. And when he was ready to divest, people were given weeks to move out. My friend was evicted December 7, 2004. Was that day significant? She was lucky to find a place in Kalama Valley within 48 hours, but others weren't so lucky. This guy plays games with Hawaii. It's a hobby. He needs to find something else to do. Why does he get away with it?
    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
      This guy plays games with Hawaii. It's a hobby. He needs to find something else to do. Why does he get away with it?
      $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Comment

Ai, Lavagal. I don't get this guy at all, either. More money than sense, and I definitely don't get the feeling that these little games he's playing in Hawaii are money making schemes (I'd wager he's lost a fair amount in his weird shenanigans overall). He could make a killing with the places he's acquired, if he managed them at all before dumping them, but instead he seems to like shopping from the sidewalk (just like in the good ol' days) and then forgets about his properties (and the folks who live in them) not very long afterward.

Sounds like his decaying properties are already lowering property values... and now he's just looking elsewhere for people willing to live in them as they continue to fall into disrepair.

The article notes he tried to do low-income housing before, a higher-density project in Kaka'ako. I have no doubt he had trouble getting that going, given how tough folks fight development there today. But I imagine folks would've rathered he did his little experiment there, now, than Kahala Avenue.

Comment

I hate to bring up racial issues when we already have a few on this board that have made it their purpose in life, but to me, the buck stops here:
          Cynthia Thomas, an attorney and project manager for the Legal Aid Society of Hawai‘i’s fair housing enforcement program, said requiring that renters be Native Hawaiian would almost certainly violate federal and state housing discrimination laws.

“It’s a great intent, but he might be hung up on the law,” she said. “It would be similar to a white owner only wanting to rent to whites.”

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
          USA TODAY, page 2A
          11 March 1993

Comment

Why wouldn't an owner of HIS OWN PROPERTY not be able to choose to rent it out to WHOM EVER HE CHOOSES!

Now if he's going through property management companies that's another story... but I'm a firm believer that if you own a house... you have EVERY RIGHT to have who YOU WANT TO LIVE IN IT.... IF the GUY wants HAWAIIANS in His houses... Who can tell him...no?

It's his properties... he owns them and he can do whatever he wants with them... how can a state agency tell a guy who he can and cannot rent to?

Heck I wouldn't mind scoring on something like that.... I mean... for real... how many renters like their managers and/or property managers anyhow?
            Last edited by damontucker; October 10, 2006, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123 View Post
              IF the GUY wants HAWAIIANS in His houses... Who can tell him...no?
              The federal government.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                Basic Facts About the Fair Housing Act. What Housing Is Covered?
                The Fair Housing Act covers most housing. In some circumstances, the Act exempts owner-occupied buildings with no more than four units, single-family housing sold or rented without the use of a broker, and housing operated by organizations and private clubs that limit occupancy to members.
                http://www.hud.gov/offices/fheo/FHLaws/yourrights.cfm
                Last edited by damontucker; October 10, 2006, 06:16 PM.

Comment

Am I reading this correctly (from the website linked above)? I'm interpreting it as no, he can't decide to rent solely to Native Hawaiians, just as he can't decide to rent to any other group on an exclusionary basis.

>>Basic Facts About the Fair Housing Act
                  What Housing Is Covered?

The Fair Housing Act covers most housing. In some circumstances, the Act exempts owner-occupied buildings with no more than four units, single-family housing sold or rented without the use of a broker, and housing operated by organizations and private clubs that limit occupancy to members.

In Addition: It is illegal for anyone to:

Advertise or make any statement that indicates a limitation or preference based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, familial status, or handicap. This prohibition against discriminatory advertising applies to single-family and owner-occupied housing that is otherwise exempt from the Fair Housing Act. <<
                  Last edited by WindwardOahuRN; October 10, 2006, 06:23 PM.

Comment

He owns these houses... If he chooses to rent them out himself he can say whatever he wants!

He is not a brokerage firm... in this instance he is a simple home owner...that owns many homes. He can do with them as he wishes and advertise as he wishes... as long as he is the person renting them and not going through an agency to get them rented out.

Comment

He owns these houses... If he chooses to rent them out himself he can say whatever he wants!

He is not a brokerage firm... in this instance he is a simple home owner...that owns many homes. He can do with them as he wishes and advertise as he wishes... as long as he is the person renting them and not going through an agency to get them rented out.

I don't think he can, Manoa.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I really don't think he can.

Think about it. What if he said he would only rent to Japanese, or (EEEEK) white folks? Ya think that would fly?

Of course not.

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN View Post
                        I don't think he can, Manoa.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I really don't think he can.
                        Well I think he can. I know when I rented a property out... I specifically didn't want College kids living in it.... My mom owned the property and we got to screen who we did and didn't want living at our property.

This is the beauty of Ownership.... You get to pick and choose! who you want to be tenants of what you own.

Heck... still get Country Clubs on the mainland that don't allow ladies or blacks on their property.

It might not be right...however it is Fair.

Comment

Well I think he can. I know when I rented a property out... I specifically didn't want College kids living in it.... My mom owned the property and we got to screen who we did and didn't want living at our property.

This is the beauty of Ownership.... You get to pick and choose! who you want to be tenants of what you own.

Heck... still get Country Clubs on the mainland that don't allow ladies or blacks on their property.

It might not be right...however it is Fair.
                          Upon further investigation, it is neither right nor fair.

This may make it a bit clearer:

http://www.craigslist.org/about/FHA.html#categories

If you scroll down you'll see that Hawaii laws go even further than the federal laws.

>>Statute prohibits discriminatory practice for an owner or any other person engaging in a real estate transaction, or for a real estate broker or salesperson, because of race, sex, color, religion, marital status, familial status, ancestry, disability, age, or HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) infection<<

http://www.fairhousinglaw.org/fair_h...m?region_id=12

http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/hrscur..._0515-0003.htm

Comment

I'm not going to believe a craigslist post to a Federal gov't page!

Where is any real estate transaction?

The guy is not selling his property! He's choosing who he wants to occupy it until he does decide what he wants to do with it!

Where is the Real Estate Transaction?

When My mom and I sold our house ... show us the money.... we could care less if was a bunch of college party kids.... just show us the money.

Comment

I'm not going to believe a craigslist post to a Federal gov't page!

Where is any real estate transaction?

The guy is not selling his property! He's choosing who he wants to occupy it until he does decide what he wants to do with it!

Where is the Real Estate Transaction?

When My mom and I sold our house ... show us the money.... we could care less if was a bunch of college party kids.... just show us the money.
                              See ya.

Comment

Working...
                              X