"Dexter" on Showtime

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Dexter" on Showtime

Does anyone here watch "Dexter" on Showtime? It premered Oct 1st and two episodes have aired so far. The main character is a serial killer, so it's disturbing and graphic, but I'm seriously hooked on this show.

The synopsis from Wikipedia:
    Orphaned at the age of four and harboring a traumatic secret, Dexter is adopted by a Miami police officer who recognizes Dexter's homicidal tendencies and teaches his son to channel his gruesome passion for human vivisection in a "constructive" way—by killing only heinous criminals who have slipped through the cracks of justice. A respected member of the police force, a perfect gentleman with a soft spot for children, Dexter is hard not to like. Although his drive to kill is unflinching, he struggles to emulate normal emotions and to keep up appearances as a caring, socially-responsible human being.
    The show takes place as Dexter is already an adult and a blood spatter expert, but we see his childhood and his relationship with his father via flashbacks. The main character does voice-over narration, so we can hear what he's thinking. There are some great scenes where Dexter is examining a crime scene and to the other cops, it just looks like he's dedicated to his work... but it's a little more than that for Dexter. He also help his sister, who is a cop, solve crimes. (It turns out a serial killer makes a great profiler.)

As you might expect from any show about serial killers, it's pretty gruesome. It's definitely not for everyone, but I think it's the best new show this season.

Anyone here watch it? I have a theory as to who the 'Ice Truck Killer' is.

I think it's Dex's sister. In her very first scene, we saw blood on her shoe. Where'd she get that from?
    Last edited by helen; October 16, 2006, 12:48 PM. Reason: fixing the spoiler

Re: "Dexter" on Showtime

Yes, I watched the 1st episode, have not watched the 2nd 1 fully yet-I like the serial killer/vigilante angle and the fact that only one cop does not trust him (although I don't like the way they have that cop come off)...curious to find out what exactly happened to him as a kid. The ice truck killer seems as if he will run the length of the series at least this season the way the next episodes look...
    Hawaii my love, I will see you soon

Comment

I'm all caught up on the show and I think it's pretty darn good so far. This and Weeds makes two solid shows on ST.
      “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
      http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Three of us? That's it? This is one of the best new shows on TV and only the three of us watch it? Oh well.

Anyway, the two of you might be happy to know that Showtime ordered another 12-episode season of Dexter for 2007.

Comment

No, 4 of us. I watched it religiously since the first epidsode. Michael C Hall is great and I was a HUGE fan of 6 Feet Under (to me, the BEST tv show ever), so when I saw he had a new series, I knew I'd watch.

Definitely an amazing show. It took me an episode or 2 to get used to it, but as the "Ice Truck Killer" mystery unfolds, it's got me more hooked every episode.

Very interesting slant on the Dexter character, you love him, despite the fact that he's a serial killer because he only kills bad people.

I wasa gonna post something about it, but got lazy. Thanx for bringing it up.
          http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
          Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
          Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Ack! So it turns out the Ice Truck Killer is not Deb after all! I lost a bet with my wife.

Anyway, I thought this most recent episode was one of the best ones yet.

Comment

I was thinking it might be deb until this past week when I started thinking about it...the prosthetics, and the fact that Deb never meets a good man gave it the right amount of irony. Yes, a great episode indeed.
              At least Dexter finally got laid :-)

Comment

Ok, so we're nearly to the end of Season Two now, and still, this is the only thread here about this show. Doesn't ANYONE here watch it? This week's episode was incredible! This show is frickin' AWESOME!

Comment

My husband and I recently finished the first season on DVD and we absolutely loved it. Clever writing and great acting - especially Michael C. Hall, who I didn't think could get any better than his portrayal of David on Six Feet Under.

We are going to get Showtime in the next week or two so we can catch up on the 2nd season of Dexter (and catch Weeds as well!).

Comment

I'm still a religious Sunday Nite Dexter Fan. Haven't missed one yet.

It gets better and better. This season's biggest twist. LaGuerta sleeping with her boss' fiancee' so she would get her old job back . Man, I didn't see THAT coming.

Riveting TV for sure, and yes, Michael C Hall is amazing.

Comment

After last season, I kept asking myself "how can they possible make this show any better?", but wow, they did. I LOVED Doakes' reaction when he confronted Dexter on that rickety pier. It seemed so... I don't know... believable. I was sort of happy for him for finally getting his validation, but when they were in the water, I was cheering for Dexter.

It's funny how this show totally has you cheering for the wrong guy. Doakes has his issues, sure, but he's a good guy. He's motivated by a strong sense of what's right. Dexter, on the other hand, is a well-established monster. He's not killing bad guys out of some sense of justice. He does it because he loves to kill people. He's devoid of any morals and is just really good at pretending to be normal. Every way you look at it, Doakes is the hero and Dexter is the villain.

Now what's Dexter going to do? Killing Doakes would be a gross violation of Harry's Code. Doakes is nowhere close to deserving. Could it be possible that they'd form some sort of alliance? I just can't see it. Doakes has to clear his name, and fingering Dexter is the only way to do it. Dexter must kill him, but will this lead to him taking greater liberties with Harry's Code in the future?

Oh yeah, and not to mention what the hell is he going to do with Lila?

Now I find myself wondering what could they possibly do for Season Three?

Comment

Originally posted by zff View Post
                        After last season, I kept asking myself "how can they possible make this show any better?", but wow, they did. I LOVED Doakes' reaction when he confronted Dexter on that rickety pier. It seemed so... I don't know... believable. I was sort of happy for him for finally getting his validation, but when they were in the water, I was cheering for Dexter.

It's funny how this show totally has you cheering for the wrong guy. Doakes has his issues, sure, but he's a good guy. He's motivated by a strong sense of what's right. Dexter, on the other hand, is a well-established monster. He's not killing bad guys out of some sense of justice. He does it because he loves to kill people. He's devoid of any morals and is just really good at pretending to be normal. Every way you look at it, Doakes is the hero and Dexter is the villain.

Now what's Dexter going to do? Killing Doakes would be a gross violation of Harry's Code. Doakes is nowhere close to deserving. Could it be possible that they'd form some sort of alliance? I just can't see it. Doakes has to clear his name, and fingering Dexter is the only way to do it. Dexter must kill him, but will this lead to him taking greater liberties with Harry's Code in the future?

Oh yeah, and not to mention what the hell is he going to do with Lila?

Now I find myself wondering what could they possibly do for Season Three?
                        All good questions.

The easiest first.

Lila - I think she will really cross the line and jeopardize Dexter, possibly attempting to harm Rita and the kids, and he'll have no choice but to kill her.

Doakes...man, I have no idea what to think about this. Doakes will never make any kind of "deal" with Dexter, unless Dexter has proof that Doakes killed people unjustly too. Which, COULD arise.

The whole show walks a moral fine line. Obviously Dexter is a serial killer, but he only kills people who have killed others in cold blood....

I disagree that he doesn't kill out of any sense of justice....He does have morals, but they're twisted due to the whole thing with mother. He just follows Harry's code instead of he code of "thou shalt not kill" code of most humans.

I think Doakes has skeletons we have yet to see. His special ops background and his apparent lack of remorse for shooting people on duty hints at this, not to mention his visit to South America, and all that seedy underground stuff he has going on. I'm not sure he is the "obvious" good guy.

Now, if we could only get John From Cincinnati back on the air......

Comment

I love Dexter!

My friend let me borrow Season 1 on DVD and the hubby and I were hooked! We don't have Showtime, so I download the episodes and then we watch them on the computer (which kinda sucks 'cause i'd rather watch it on the big screen tv instead of the little computer monitor...) We were gonna order Showtime, but it seemed kinda silly to pay $14.95 per month...

This last episode was amazing! Can't wait for the next one!
                          I'd rather be ... LOST

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the heads up! I'm going to check this out.

Comment

Yep, hubby and I are Dexter fans too! That last episode was GREAT! You just keep wondering how Dexter will continue to elude the authorities and then he keeps on doing it!

I can't wait to see what happens next!

I can't stand Lila or Deb... they are both GROSS! I like how Deb said Lila was gross and pale and no one's pale in Miami so she must be a vampire... gosh, she was not only describing Dex's perfect woman, she was describing herself!
                              Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
                              My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

Working...
                              X