Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Small plane crashes into NY building, Yankees' pitcher feared dead.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small plane crashes into NY building, Yankees' pitcher feared dead.

From CNN.com. It does not appear to be terrorist-related, as the plane was registered to the Yankees pitcher. The article says 2 people are presumed dead, but the ticker on TV is reporting at least 4 fatalities.

Prayers to Corey Lidle's family and the Yankees organization.

NEW YORK (CNN) -- A small airplane crashed into a 50-story residential building on Manhattan's East Side on Wednesday, killing at least two people, the New York City Fire Department and New York City Police Department said.

Flames were shooting out from several windows midway up the luxury high-rise in a residential neighborhood. Paramedics and rescue workers are treating people on the ground.

The Federal Aviation Administration described the plane as a "general aviation" fixed-wing aircraft flying under visual flight rules, meaning a pilot was flying by visual landmarks. (Watch the orange flames ravage the apartment -- 1:50)

First responders to the New York plane crash say an emergency call was made from the plane indicating a possible fuel problem.

New York Yankees Manager Joe Torre told CNN that the plane that was a Cirrus SR-20 registered to team pitcher Cory Lidle.

The plane hit the Belaire Condominiums at 524 E. 72nd Street near the East River. More than 150 firefighters are on scene of a four-alarm fire in the building.
    Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
    We're not here to mess around
    Boston, you know we love you madly
    Hear the crowd roar to your sound
    Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
    You know we couldn't live without you
    Tessie, you are the only only only

Re: Small plane crashes into NY building, Yankees' pitcher feared dead.

CNN now reports Lidle was the only person on the plane when it crashed.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
      CNN now reports Lidle was the only person on the plane when it crashed.
      Someone on Headline News just mentioned that there was another person on board, and this person was DOA at the hospital.

Several firefighters and civilians were rushed to local hospitals after the fire spread quickly through the building.

Can you imagine what was going through the minds of the witnesses on the streets when this happened?

Comment

Reminiscent of Thurman Munson's death in 1979 in a small plane he owned. He was the Yankees' catcher at the time. I think it crashed in Ohio.
        http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
          Can you imagine what was going through the minds of the witnesses on the streets when this happened?
          I dunno about everybody else...but as it came on CNN...my heart sank and all I could think about was 9/11. When the first close-up of the building appeared showing the blazing fire, I could see tremendous pressure of waters pouring unto the flames from below. Black smoke engulfing the building but the fire kept glaring red sparks. Yet, the water seemed to take it's course slowly and surely. Then word reached the reporter that fire was upon the road. Particles had fallen and Firefighters now had to combat the fires on the streets below as well.

Listening and seeing the efforts of the brave men and women of N.Y. City once again touched my heart and attention. It was too much for me to bare. I turned off the t.v.

Auntie Lynn
          Last edited by 1stwahine; October 11, 2006, 12:56 PM.
          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

was just confirmed on Yahoo that the pitcher died!

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123 View Post
              was just confirmed on Yahoo that the pitcher died!
              Yeah, when Mayor Bloomberg held his press conference earlier, they were hesitant to confirm his death because they were having difficulty getting a hold of his wife. I sure hope that his wife found out from authorities and NOT the media coverage! George Steinbrenner and Jason Giambi (who played baseball with Cory Lidle in HS) already issued their statements.

From what I gather, the plane split in half, and Cory Lidle and another passenger was in the half that hit the ground below. They mentioned that a passenger was DOA at the hospital...but it's unknown if it was he or the other passenger.

Comment

A New York Times article from just a month ago:

In Lidle, Yanks Have Extra Pitcher and Backup Pilot
                When the Yankees fly, the pilots are not only in the cockpit. There is another pilot in the main cabin, where the players sit. He is probably studying his hand-held Global Positioning System receiver, tracking the weather and noting the plane’s precise speed and altitude.

He is Cory Lidle, who has been a major league pitcher for nine years and a pilot for seven months. He earned his pilot’s license last off-season and bought a four-seat airplane for $187,000. It is a Cirrus SR20, built in 2002, with fewer than 400 hours in the air.

A player-pilot is still a sensitive topic for the Yankees, whose captain, Thurman Munson, was killed in the crash of a plane he was flying in 1979. Lidle, acquired from the Philadelphia Phillies on July 30, said his plane was safe.
                Tragic.

Comment

Thanks for the thoughts for our part of the world. When we first got the news (I work in NJ and our company sends people in and out of NYC on a daily basis) all of us were shocked and immediately tried to find out more information on the internet. Live streams were our best bet for information. It was pretty clear after a while that it wasn't anything terrorist related. Then came the rumors that it was a Yankee player. Then it was KNOWN that it was Lidle. Lidle was a Philly before he was a Yankee so the whole region is pretty much in shock right now.
                  -kp!

Comment

Cory Lidle used to be one of my favorite pitchers. I've been playing fantasy baseball forever and used to always have him on my team. He seemed like a cool guy. I'm sad.
                    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Cory Lidle's former team the Oakland A's had a playoff game today. Did anyone get to see the start of it? I'm wondering if they had anything special to start the game for him.
                      You can take the boy out of Hilo but you can't take the Hilo out of the boy!

Comment

The other fatality is thought to be Lidle's flight instructor, Tyler Stanger. It's not known which of the two was at the controls at the time, as there are two sets of controls on that plane.

Comment

The New York Times piece I noted earlier, in which Lidle says his plane is safe thanks to a giant parachute, also says that Stanger would do things like put blinders on students and force the plane into a steep pitch to rattle them and test their ability to get out of a jam. I would hope, though, that the airspace over New York City would not be a place where such tactics would be employed.

Comment

Originally posted by Kory K View Post
                            Cory Lidle's former team the Oakland A's had a playoff game today. Did anyone get to see the start of it? I'm wondering if they had anything special to start the game for him.
                            I didn't get to see if they did some kind of tribute, but lots of Lidle's A's jerseys were proudly displayed yesterday.

I'm thinking the remaining playoff teams will most likely have some kind of black attached to their uniform in the coming games to show mourning.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                              The New York Times piece I noted earlier, in which Lidle says his plane is safe thanks to a giant parachute, also says that Stanger would do things like put blinders on students and force the plane into a steep pitch to rattle them and test their ability to get out of a jam. I would hope, though, that the airspace over New York City would not be a place where such tactics would be employed.
                              That is required technique in flight instruction for private certification. I went through it. It's no big deal, they're just teaching you to rely on the instruments if you accidentally fly into a cloud or through smoke or otherwise lose your spatial awareness (which can happen in an instant for a variety of reasons).

No, you wouldn't do that over NYC. That's not what happened. They were in trouble.

Comment

Working...
                              X