Pancakes !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pancakes !

I had my favorite childhood breakfast at IHOP this morning...

Pigs in Blankets...basically, sausages rolled up in pancakes. SO, ONO.
    Thought this might make a good food thread....
    Favorite Pancakes?

Beside IHOP...I know they're a chain, but they have pretty much perfected pancakes IMHO....I like Denny's too. A few other faves of mine are here in SoCal...
    DuPar's...If any of you remember the movie "Valley Girl" with Nicholas Cage, the diner scenes were filmed at DuPar's, an old school diner in the Valley. They're pancakes are amazing, and they serve em up with liquid butter...so good.

I also ate at a Danish Pancake House in Solvang, called, I think, The Danish Pancake House...I had, guess what? DANISH PANCAKES, which are almost crepe-thin pancakes...they were pretty amazing too.

So what are your favorite pancake places ?
    http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
    Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
    Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Re: Pancakes !

Potato pancakes, but only if the potato-to-batter ratio is highly weighted towards the spuds. With a little sour cream, no applesauce, please.

Comment

I'm not enough of a foodie to know what makes a good pancake, but I know what I like, even if it's more for sentimental reasons than technical quality. On Oahu, I've always enjoyed pancakes at either Anna Miller's in Aiea or Jack's in Aina Haina. On the Big Island, I gotta go with Ken's House of Pancakes. In the case of Anna Miller's and Ken's, a big plus is being able to order breakfast all day (and night).

I know there are lots of fancy pancakes out there, but I like 'em simple. No fruits, no odd toppings, just plain with butter and maple syrup.

Comment

Dutch babies! All puffy and souffle like, dusted with powdered sugar and a squeeze of lemon.

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Banana pancakes with macadamia nut sauce at "Boots & Kimo's" in Kailua. World class!
          And yes, it's mac nut sauce, not syrup.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
            Banana pancakes
            You do know Jack Johnson has a song about these, don't you? It's a sweet little number, but I've heard it too often to like it anymore.

Comment

I like pecans in my pancakes.

And crusty edges (made from oil/butter) are a must have for me. That's my favorite part.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                Potato pancakes, but only if the potato-to-batter ratio is highly weighted towards the spuds. With a little sour cream, no applesauce, please.
                Then you probably want latkes.

Just grated potatoes (liquid squeezed out by placing potatoes in a dish towel and twisting), a bit of egg, a bit of flour, a bit of grated onion if you like onion, salt and pepper. Sorry---no recipe, I just wing it as I was taught years ago.

Drop them in oil, fry 'til GB&D.

Mazeltov!

Comment

My favorites are the forty-niner sourdough flapjacks at Original Pancake House (Dilllingham location). Super-thin, sour and a little chewy. They also have Dutch Babies which are impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                    Dutch babies! All puffy and souffle like, dusted with powdered sugar and a squeeze of lemon.

Miulang
                    Ahh Dutch Babies!!! One of the first things I learned how to "Cook" when I was a small kid!

Those buggahs ono... just a little crisp on the top where they "bubble up" and nice and soft the rest of the way through...

I thought they were more like an "Egg Pancake"

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN View Post
                      Then you probably want latkes.

Just grated potatoes (liquid squeezed out by placing potatoes in a dish towel and twisting), a bit of egg, a bit of flour, a bit of grated onion if you like onion, salt and pepper. Sorry---no recipe, I just wing it as I was taught years ago.

Drop them in oil, fry 'til GB&D.

Mazeltov!
                      Yep - latkes are the best - but most restaurants don't do them that well. And to avoid (or add to) further confusion: latkes are to hash-browns as shave ice is to sno-cones.

Comment

It's been years since I ate pancakes...there are other ways I'd rather OD on carbs, sugar and calories!!! But, by far, my fave kind were the ones my dad made when I was a kid...chocolate chip pancakes in the shape of Mickey Mouse's head! Just the basic Bisquick recipe but he made such a production out of it! Pancakes will just never be the same!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                          But, by far, my fave kind were the ones my dad made when I was a kid...chocolate chip pancakes in the shape of Mickey Mouse's head! Just the basic Bisquick recipe but he made such a production out of it! Pancakes will just never be the same!
                          Hey, considering your dad's career, anything related to animated characters - even a pancake - would HAVE to be done right!

And now, there are waffle-irons that will fry ones in that shape...

...oh, and I really don't like pancakes much at all, but I will go for the occasional waffle.

Or won't I?

Yes...yes I will...

...at least, I think I will...

...but, then again...

(Give me ambiguity, or give me something else!)

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                            Banana pancakes with macadamia nut sauce at "Boots & Kimo's" in Kailua. World class!
                            And yes, it's mac nut sauce, not syrup.
                            I'm very curious about this Mac Nut "sauce" you're talkin' about here. Does this mean it's thinner or thicker than syrup? Or that it's not sweet like syrup? Is there a distinctive Macadamia Nut flavor or is it just suttle? Sounds ono!

I'm pretty heavy-handed with syrup (and margarine, not butter) when it comes to pancakes and waffles. Aunt Jemima, Mrs. Butterworth, REAL Maple, Coconut syrup.. my plate looks more like syrup with a pancake IN it.

I actually don't eat pancakes much, which explains why that huge bag of Krusteaz Pancake Mix we bought from Costco nearly a year ago is still half full. Good stuff though. Easy to cook; just add water - and in my case, sliced Bananas - then drop in non-stick pan. Comes out perfectly golden, fluffy 'n tasty every time.
                            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                              Hey, considering your dad's career, anything related to animated characters - even a pancake - would HAVE to be done right![...]
                              Well, he was a Looney Tunes guy; not a Disney guy. However, my mom was a Disney gal so maybe he was keeping her happy with his caricature of Mickey Mouse instead of Bugs Bunny!

Comment

Working...
                              X