Married Cousins, Know Any?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Married Cousins, Know Any?

When I got married 6 years ago I remember seeing on the application that in Hawaii it is legal to marry your cousin, as long as you are not blood. That being said do any of you out there on the HT boards know ANYONE who actually did?
    Last edited by alohabear; October 12, 2006, 11:54 AM.
    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
    Flickr

Re: Married Cousins, Know Any?

Originally posted by alohabear View Post
    When I got married 6 years ago I remember seeing on the application that in Hawaii it is legal to marry your cousin, as long as you are not blood. That being said do any of you out there on the HT boards know ANYONE who actually did?
    Yes, but they weren't married for long (they were second cousins)!

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

From the DOH website:

Cousins may marry. However, the blood relationship between the prospective bride and groom cannot be closer than first cousins.
      Somebody tell me what that means? How can you be closer than first cousins?
      Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
      We're not here to mess around
      Boston, you know we love you madly
      Hear the crowd roar to your sound
      Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
      You know we couldn't live without you
      Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
        I believe the statements are independent of each other, meaning that the "first cousin" level is as close as you can get overall, not just within the context of "cousinhood," i.e., no parent/child or sibling marriages.

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
          From the DOH website:

There is another category called "double cousins." These are cousins who are related through BOTH parents. Two brothers married to two sisters - their progeny are "double cousins." The most extreme would be identical twins married to identical twins - their offspring would genetically be "brother-sister."

The closest I know are "calabash cousins" married to each other. They are NOT blood-related to each other, but share the same first cousin through different sides of the family tree.

Comment

Got a first cousin who is married to a third or fouth cousin.

Comment

When I lived in Ka'u we often heard of first cousins having kids together all the time , mostly in the small places in South kona and Miloli'i. We came across many kids in the special education program from these areas.I often heard they got together to pass on the family blood and culture.

Flickr

Comment

When I lived in Ka'u we often heard of first cousins having kids together all the time , mostly in the small places in South kona and Miloli'i. We came across many kids in the special education program from these areas.I often heard they got together to pass on the family blood and culture.
                Isn't that what the ali'i used to do?
                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Outside of Niihauans, I don't know of any first cousins marrying. But second cousins? Several couples come to mind. The kids are all ok <twitch>

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                    Isn't that what the ali'i used to do?
                    Is it known if any Ali'i were born lope?

Flickr

Comment

It happens all the time in this town. One of my friends has two of his brothers married to two sisters, who are first cousins.
                      http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                      http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon View Post
                        It happens all the time in this town. One of my friends has two of his brothers married to two sisters, who are first cousins.
                        Oh, those crazy, "romantic" French...

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon View Post
                          Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                          Oh, those crazy, "romantic" French...
                          It's not just the French. Two of my dad's sisters married two brothers, back in 1940s-era North Kohala. I suspect it happens fairly often in small towns with large families.

Comment

I have a very good friend who's parents are first cousins...
                            As a result, my friend is very "odd" looking. Smart, but very odd looking.
                            http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                            Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                            Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
                              It's not just the French. Two of my dad's sisters married two brothers, back in 1940s-era North Kohala. I suspect it happens fairly often in small towns with large families.
                              Were the 2 brothers cousins of your dad and his sisters?

Comment

Working...
                              X