Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ugly Betty on ABC

I am sooooooo loving this show!
    A show that originated from a Spanish TV Show makes a pretty good transition in English IMO. You gotta love America Ferrera as "Betty" the attractive "sorta" by heart lead character who is Eric Mabius right hand and left trusty assistant surrounded by often cruel co-workers and the devilish Vanessa Williams so eager to kick Mabius to the curb by any fiendish way possible.

Re: Ugly Betty on ABC

Originally posted by DannyWilliams View Post
    I am sooooooo loving this show!
    A show that originated from a Spanish TV Show makes a pretty good transition in English IMO. You gotta love America Ferrera as "Betty" the attractive "sorta" by heart lead character who is Eric Mabius right hand and left trusty assistant surrounded by often cruel co-workers and the devilish Vanessa Williams so eager to kick Mabius to the curb by any fiendish way possible.
    I am loving the show myself. I missed most of it last night so I will get online to watch it again.

But Vanessa Williams is surely getting old...wow...
    Tayo

FINALLY HOME IN HAWAI'I!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    Mark Twain

Comment

Seems that this show is getting good ratings because FOX is gonna develop a TV version of "The Devil Wears Prada" for thier network.
      Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
      Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Queenolu View Post
        But Vanessa Williams is surely getting old...wow...
        Aren't we all! Startling to see someone who is isn't obviously botoxed, pinched, lifted and pulled, isn't it? There is a whole discussion on our distorted notions of aging, beauty and youth which could ensue, but I will not digress further.

I love Ugly Betty. We watched it almost by accident last week and got hooked. Salma Hayek is one of the producers and it's cool to see her doing good behind the camera work. I am a bit puzzled by the undercurrent of evil-doing from the father. We'll keep watching and hope it isn't cancelled suddenly.

Comment

I had Ugly Betty on while I'm cooking last night...and aw shucks, who couldn't have been cheering on Betty as she tried her makeover. So now after two episodes I'm hooked.

But wait...aren't I also the same guy who's subjected his wife to so much NASCAR on Sunday mornings that she's gone ahead and picked a favorite driver? Isn't Ugly Betty supposed to be targeted at women?

Nah...I don't know what it is specificly, but there's something so likable about Betty that it crosses over the gender targeting...nah, it's just good...

Ugly Betty, so far my favorite new show (with Heros a close second).

Comment

Sumthin' about "Fat Jeff" posting about "Ugly Betty" just plain ol' made me laugh! Jeez, I love the internet!

Comment

It's weird seeing America Ferrera in an adult role like this, but I think she's doing such a fabulous job so far and I've been watching it from the start. It's only been three episodes so far, but I really do hope that she doesn't try and quit her job in every episode.

Vanessa Williams plays that "bitch" role really well -- but I'm kind of tired of seeing her only in roles like that.
              Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
              We're not here to mess around
              Boston, you know we love you madly
              Hear the crowd roar to your sound
              Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
              You know we couldn't live without you
              Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
                It's weird seeing America Ferrera in an adult role like this, but I think she's doing such a fabulous job so far[...]
                I'd not heard of America Ferrera prior to Ugly Betty. She was on the Ellen show the other day and, wow, what a likeability factor! I hope she can keep it!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                  Sumthin' about "Fat Jeff" posting about "Ugly Betty" just plain ol' made me laugh! Jeez, I love the internet!
                  That's why I'm here...for your amusement!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                    I'd not heard of America Ferrera prior to Ugly Betty. She was on the Ellen show the other day and, wow, what a likeability factor! I hope she can keep it!
                    I first saw her in a cheesy made-for-TV Disney movie a few years ago. Since then she's also had supporting roles in Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants and Lords of Dogtown.

However, I loved loved loved her in Real Women Have Curves. She won the Sundance Festival's Best Actress that year. Watch it when you have the time...I highly recommend it!

Comment

My first taste of America is yes Real Women Have Curves as the sassy young girl who has her own ideas and visions that is different from her very controlling mom. But her role in "Sisterhood" blew me away and there is a scene where she gets personal with her father just made me go WHOA

Comment

I really must rent Sisterhood and Real Women, two movies I've been wanting to see -- for, just ever.

I absolutely adore Ugly Betty on so many levels!

America is FABULOUS. Even as a wizened, long-departed-from-my- youth Mom, I can SO relate to Betty!

The writing is great, the acting is spot-on, I love that it puts Latinos in a positive light and brings them into U.S. living rooms in a mainstream way (I mean, Betty and her family "happen" to be Latino and while cultural aspects are included, nobody's hitting anybody over the head with them -- it's presented very naturally, as it should be).

I think it's so cool that Salma Hayek appears in a telenovela that "airs" during the show that is based on a telenovela!

And besides ... I've always had a little bit of a "thing" for Betty's dad, played by Tony Plana (anybody remember Resurrection Blvd., on cable?). He's a great actor. Great as a good guy, great as a bad guy!
                        I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Manolo Blahnik's Spring 2004 Collection!

While America and rest of the cast are to be commended for such a great show, it just needs to be said that Betty's nephew -- the DDR-ing fashionista -- is definitely a scene stealer! He was fabulous on last night's episode.

Comment

Lots of friends have strongly suggested we give "Ugly Betty" a shot (as reluctant as we are to get sucked into yet another network TV show). So, it's percolating in our TiVo. But can anyone give a one-paragraph "what you've missed so far"? I understand the basic premise... but would love to know what subplots and relationship conflicts or connections are underway. The list of episodes at Wikipedia has been helpful...

Comment

Nice to see a new show that aired recently.........

But kinda dispointed AGAIN that...
                              Fails to follow up on the fathers citizenship and whats the 411 on the shady lawyer that watzed off with the families money that was gonna help them?

Comment

Working...
                              X