New and upcoming island releases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New and upcoming island releases

Started to add this to the Keali`i Reichel thread, but thought it would be better on its own...released this month, and soon-to-be released:

DVD - Island Style Ukulele
    DVD - Learn to Play the Ukulele
    Various "Mea Makamae"
    Brothers Cazimero "Caz Christmas"
    Matt Catingub Orchestra "Return to Romance" (10-17)
    Pati "Redemption" (10-17)
    DVD - Andy Bumatai "High School Daze" (10-19)
    DVD - OverDrive Live Vol 3 (10-24)
    Various "Moonbows for Christmas" (11-7)
    DVD - Augie Tulba "Then & Now" (11-14)
    Kapo Ried Ku "Here Comes the Sun" (11-14)
    7 Simple Pieces "Got Aloha?" (11-14)
    Na Papalapalai "Ka Pua Hae Hawai`i" (11-14)
    Keali`i Reichel "Maluhia" (11-21 Christmas CD)
    DVD - Makaha Sons Live @ Hawai`i Theatre (November)
    DVD - Superstars of Hawaiian Music (November)
    Keoki Kahumoku "Rise & Shine" (soon...)
    Gordon Mark "Personal Notes" (soon...)

This is only a list of what's been announced thus far -- expect more, as the year winds to a close!

Re: New and upcoming island releases

Doing the happy dance!!
    Aloha,
    Mokihana

Comment

Originally posted by Auntie Maria View Post
      [...]This is only a list of what's been announced thus far -- expect more, as the year winds to a close!
      Hey Auntie M...great to see you here! That's quite a list. I'm gonna need to revise my Christmas wish list!

If you're gonna stick around here (and I hope you will!), hele on over to the Introductions forum! For those of you who are not familiar with Auntie Maria, she knows what she's talking about...and she didn't mention a word on HT, not even in a .sig!

Comment

Why do local CDs cost more than nationally released CDs? Even very old local catalog CDs that have been around for years still command full prices vs. many discounted older CD albums by national artists. For that reason I do not buy many local made CDs due to the higher costs. There are never $9.99 or $9.72 new release local CDs at WalMart and BestBuy. They sell but all start at around $14.99.

The best places to buy local CDs is at the used CD stores like Jelly's where you can find some of them for around $9.
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
          Why do local CDs cost more than nationally released CDs? Even very old local catalog CDs that have been around for years still command full prices vs. many discounted older CD albums by national artists. For that reason I do not buy many local made CDs due to the higher costs. There are never $9.99 or $9.72 new release local CDs at WalMart and BestBuy. They sell but all start at around $14.99.

The best places to buy local CDs is at the used CD stores like Jelly's where you can find some of them for around $9.
          Have you checked at Borders? I noticed at the Kahului branch that you can buy new releases of some of the popular Hawai'i artists (especially the Hoku winners) for $12.99. I think I only paid $12.99 for Amy Hanaiali'is Next Generation CD. Borders is about the only place left on Maui you can find a large selection of made-in-Hawaii CDs. But you're right: most local CDs are priced around $16.99 (maybe it's because it's a smaller pressing? The per unit costs are higher when you have fewer copies made).

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

CDs selling at $10 and under are the sweet price point for me. The big boxes know this and they feed into that demand everytime top albums go on sale. Tower Records knew this as they priced many of their older catalog titles under $10. The Hawaiian music industry doesn't know this. They continue to charge high prices for 10, 20 year old albums except for the few like the 3 Columbia Cecilio & Kapono albums which are discount priced along with their national stablemates.

The iTunes music store and their competitors know this too. I guess I could buy full on digital albums for $9.99 in this genre. Problem is DRM and only Mountain Apple and a few other labels offer digital download tracks for purchase at iTunes. Apparently there are several Hawaiian/Island music titles available on Oceanic's new service (which name totally escapes me), but I think theirs is WMA format which I don't like.

For me to spring $$ on local music it has to be at that less than $10 price point (new or used CDs) or perhaps available as digital downloads at 99¢ per track.

Yes, I concede that local CDs are probably prressed in less quantity. I suspect many just sit on shelves taking up space in the decreasing number of brick and mortar record outlets. I think it would be a good idea if some of the older titles are discounted like how the majors do it.
            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Maybe now that there's a Hawaiian music category at the Grammy's and Hawaiian music becomes more mainstream, it will help bring the prices down somewhat. We can only keep our fingers crossed! I agree that even $12.99 is expensive for a CD (and it's a ripoff at $16.99 for the older ones), so maybe the Hawai'i distributors like Mountain Apple, as it starts representing more local talent, can also bring down the prices of the CDs or start loading more of them on iTunes for people who don't want to buy whole CDs from one artist. I would think their whole point is to get the artists' music into as many hands (legally) as possible.

Miulang
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Mokihana View Post

Doing the happy dance!!
                I'm so excited too... I love them! Each of their recordings gets better and better... can't wait to hear this one!
                'Alika

Comment

Two new ones from Keahiwai coming out soon ---
                  "Changing" on Nov. 21, and "Merry Christmas" on Nov. 14.

Comment

Re: New and upcoming island releases - DVDs

Moving all this from the Keali`i Reichel thread:
                    Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                    Coming out in November, a DVD from the PBS Hawai`i tv series, "Superstars of Hawaiian Music in the Best of Na Mele IV." There are five Keali`i Reichel pieces on it, along with performences by Amy Hanaiali`i Gilliom & Willie K, Makaha Sons, Maunalua and `Ale`a.
                    Release date: Nov. 21
                    there will be a "Makaha Sons Live at the Hawai`i Theatre" DVD coming soon, from their 2006 Hana Hou performance. Natalie Ai Kamauu is one of the guests
                    Release date: Dec. 12
                    a DVD of Hapa's "Maui" album (hosted by Peter Fonda, also from the PBS Hawai`i "Na Mele" series.)
                    Release date: Dec. 5

Comment

Some more new releases, in addition to those mentioned earlier. These are now available:

Keoki Kahumoku - RISE & SHINE
                      Gail Mack - CHRISTMAS ONCE MORE IN HAWAI`I NEI
                      Byron Yasui - ANAHOLA
                      Greg Sardinha - HAWAIIAN STEEL VOL 4
                      Ho`omalie - ONLY YOU
                      Various - HALELU (Christmas)
                      Royal Hawaiian Band - CHRISTMAS WITH THE RHB
                      DVD - Honolulu: First 100 Years
                      DVD - John Cruz: Made of Music
                      DVD - Augie Tulba: Then & Now

Releasing on Tues 12/12:
                      DVD - Makaha Sons Live @ Hawai`i Theatre

Comment

Originally posted by Auntie Maria View Post
                        Releasing on Tues 12/12:
                        DVD - Makaha Sons Live @ Hawai`i Theatre
                        For those waiting for this one, the promoter says:
                        Due to manufacturing problems, we will not receive The Makaha Sons DVD in until this Friday (12/15/06). Once the shipment arrives, we will deliver and ship out as soon as possible. Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.

Comment

Re: New and upcoming island releases - DVDs

Coming out in November, a DVD from the PBS Hawai`i tv series, "Superstars of Hawaiian Music in the Best of Na Mele IV." There are five Keali`i Reichel pieces on it, along with performences by Amy Hanaiali`i Gilliom & Willie K, Makaha Sons, Maunalua and `Ale`a. Release date: Nov. 21

... there will be a "Makaha Sons Live at the Hawai`i Theatre" DVD coming soon, from their 2006 Hana Hou performance. Natalie Ai Kamauu is one of the guests ... Release date: Dec. 12

... a DVD of Hapa's "Maui" album (hosted by Peter Fonda, also from the PBS Hawai`i "Na Mele" series.) Release date: Dec. 5
                          You should be seeing these in stores this week, if you haven't already - I just got promo copies today.

Comment

Working...
                          X