Diarrhea and Gatorade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diarrhea and Gatorade

I've heard conflicting reports on whether or not Gatorade is good for you when you've got diarrhea; there seems to be a good case on either side.

After twenty four hours of just water, I remembered that I had a bottle of Gatorade in the closet, so I put that in the fridge and it was heavenly. What I want to know is, was it good for me or bad for me? What are your thoughts on this or other remedies for this ailment?
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Re: Diarrhea and Gatorade

Well! Okay, with our kids, when they're having problems keeping hydrated, we generally start with totally flat Sprite as the first step after water. Then we graduate to Gatorade. We've often found Gatorade is just a little too much of a shock for a sick system, even though they drink the stuff like water on any other day.

Comment

I love Gatorade!

I find it a very refreshing drink. Why is it that "powerade" tries to imply some of the same tactics as gatorade....?

Powerade... IMHO... sucks compared to gatorade!

Do I give Gatorade to my 2 year old son... yes, but not regularly.... Water and Milk is all he really needs... but when he watches me drink gatorade...he wants some...

I heard Dr. Kalani Brady on the news saying that Gatorade wasn't bad for a child...

I would rather give him gatorade then say "Canned juice" that contains as much if not more sugar than gatorade.

The sad part of this discussion... is I remember when gatorade first came out... and My mom wouldn't buy it for me because she considered it "too expensive" and did nothing for a young kid supposedly about 20 years ago...

Now her own doctor has told her to drink gatorade to help her w/ some of her health symptons! (Electrolytes or something like that)
      Last edited by damontucker; October 15, 2006, 12:19 AM.

Comment

Sucks for you Scriv. Went through a mini bout last week. The second time a dirty water hot dog tried to kill me. My schedule: water, flat ginger ale, then gatorade in that order. 24 hours to flush the system AKA letting it flow then 1/2 immodium a day after that to dam things up. Pound yogurt to help repopulate. I hate those dehydration headaches you can get. I swear I dream funny too when I am dehydrated.

You are by yourself (I think) so you gotta be careful. Had a friend who got so dehydrated once when he was sick that he passed out when tried to get up from the couch. Another friend found him laying on the floor with his head busted in after it cracked the corner of the coffee table on the way down. Ambulance, emergency room, all because of getting the runs. You get dizzy, call someone quick. IVs are your friend.
        You Look Like I Need A Drink

Comment

Working...
        X