boat slip rental

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• boat slip rental

How hard is it to rent a dock slip in Hawaii? Who do you have to contact to rent or lease one?

Re: boat slip rental

darn near impossible unless you are Mr. GotRocks. Even then, I hear that new fancy place on Oahu is full up. Big Island is impossible. Unless you moor in Kailua Bay or Hilo Bay. But a mooring in an unprotected bay is very risky. Honokohau Harbor has a 10 year waiting list. Most politicians in Hawaii have no idea that we are surrounded by an ocean, and many folks have boats. It flies under their radar.

Call Hawaii Yacht Club. If you are not a member of Yacht Club, you should join. Can get a slip through them usually in most ports around the world. But only temporary. Plus, you will find that the bar & restaurant prices are cheap, cheap, but for members only.
    FutureNewsNetwork.com
    Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
      darn near impossible unless you are Mr. GotRocks. Even then, I hear that new fancy place on Oahu is full up. Big Island is impossible. Unless you moor in Kailua Bay or Hilo Bay. But a mooring in an unprotected bay is very risky. Honokohau Harbor has a 10 year waiting list. Most politicians in Hawaii have no idea that we are surrounded by an ocean, and many folks have boats. It flies under their radar.

Call Hawaii Yacht Club. If you are not a member of Yacht Club, you should join. Can get a slip through them usually in most ports around the world. But only temporary. Plus, you will find that the bar & restaurant prices are cheap, cheap, but for members only.
      Most people on Maui who own boats (including some fairly large fishing boats) haul them out of the water and store them on dry land when they're done. Then when they want to use it again, they haul it back to the water (the State does have free boat launches) and shove off. But Tim's right. Moorage space for private vessels is damned near impossible to find on Maui, too, because most of the moorage is taken up by charter fishing boats and tour boats.

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

But the root of the problem is not the number of boats being used for business (fishing or tourism), the root of the problem is that there are ZERO plans for any new harbors in the State of Hawaii.

Building a harbor nowadays is fraught with red tape obstacles that have been created in the last 35 years in an effort to protect ourselves. Imagine the Environmental Impact Statement. Imagine the neighborhood outcry if a harbor would be proposed somewhere. Imagine how many people would come out of the woodwork to voice their negative opinions at the Public Hearings. Imagine the caterwalling over traffic impacts, whales, endangered species, pollution from diesel motor boats, development of the surrounding infrastructure. God forbid we find a bone, or a cave with "artifacts".

The Politics of NO virtually guarantees that a new harbor is nearly impossible, and expanding existing harbors is difficult at best. Such is the world that "concerned" Boomers have created for us.
        FutureNewsNetwork.com
        Energy answers are already here.

Comment

I completely agree with Timkona! I used to live on my own boats anchored out at Keehi Lagoon. The triangle cut out of the reef were for seaplanes and was considered a Federal Waterway till somehow the State took it over and put out their own mooring balls and started charging to be out there. No amenities provided at all. The State docks at Keehi and Ala Wai are a mess and in terrible disrepair. Many slips cannot even be used. I'm now a "boatless" sailor. Hawaii could've and should've been a boating Mecca, but as it stands cruisers quite often just sail father south along California and cut across towards the Marquesas. Why spend the money to be treated badly here when they can just sail alittle longer and be welcomed by islanders bearing gifts and more! Also with the difficulty of aquiring a permanent (decent) slip, alot of locals have given up too.

Where's da aloha?
          Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Working...
          X