FDA may approve milk from clones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FDA may approve milk from clones

The FDA is preparing to approve the distribution of milk from clones (remember Dolly the sheep?) into the general marketplace. I sure hope they label that milk differently from the milk you get from "normal" cows!

It's bad enough that we now have to worry about GMO fruits and vegetables entering the foodstream, but now we also have to be wary of milk that comes from cloned animals.

The FDA would probably also consider allowing the meat of cloned animals for human consumption, but right now the cloned animals cost so much money that they are being used as breedstock. However, their "children" and "grandchildren" could end up on your dinnertable, and scientists aren't sure what kinds of genetic mutations would show up in those meat animals.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: FDA may approve milk from clones

Why is this bad? Clones are just genetic duplicates of the original. We eat cloned food all the time, from plants.

Comment

Nothing about it is bad, Glen. The same anti-GMO hysterics need a new target. That's all. These people might as well use leeches to cure cancer.

I'm sure some primitive (in terms of awareness, not chronology) societies have put twins to death, too. After all, two identical beings must be evil! Evil, I say! EVIL!!! Bwaa haa haa haa haaaaa!

And witches float, so you can't drown 'em. So if you tie one up, and throw it in the river, and it drowns, then it's a witch. But if it floats, it's a duck. Or a clone. Unless it's a witch-duck. In which case ... wait, I mean witch case ... oh, forget it.

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza View Post
        And witches float, so you can't drown 'em. So if you tie one up, and throw it in the river, and it drowns, then it's a witch. But if it floats, it's a duck. Or a clone. Unless it's a witch-duck. In which case ... wait, I mean witch case ... oh, forget it.
        No, no, no. If it drowns, then it was innocent.
        If it floats, it's a witch.
        And what also floats in water?
        Bread!
        Apples!
        Uh... very small rocks!

Comment

Clone if you must, but why avoid labeling using just a few words? I'm sure the dairy industry isn't that hard up and can spare the ink.

Qui Male Agit Odit Lucem

Comment

My question is why? Are we running out of milk cows that we have to clone bessie? Someone thought it was okay to feed cow brains to cows and look what happened. Someone thought it was okay to put GMO papayas out in the open next to regular papayas.
            Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbent View Post
              My question is why? Are we running out of milk cows that we have to clone bessie? Someone thought it was okay to feed cow brains to cows and look what happened. Someone thought it was okay to put GMO papayas out in the open next to regular papayas.
              I don't know this papaya story. Do tell.
              “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
              http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Nothing about it is bad, Glen. The same anti-GMO hysterics need a new target. That's all. These people might as well use leeches to cure cancer.
                I see no harm in cloning the cows that produce more milk than average. That must be the reasoning. There's a difference between that and corn for instance that has had a pesticide molecule welded to the corn molecule. Butterflies that land on those corn plants are killed. The weren't targeting butterflies.
                “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."

Comment

Originally posted by sinjin View Post
                  I see no harm in cloning the cows that produce more milk than average. That must be the reasoning. There's a difference between that and corn for instance that has had a pesticide molecule welded to the corn molecule. Butterflies that land on those corn plants are killed. The weren't targeting butterflies.
                  They were targeting insects. Butterflies are insects. The corn doesn't care what type of critter is eating it; neither does the farmer. "Ooh, pretty!" means nothing if your livelihood is at stake.

And they don't die from just landing on the corn plant.

Do you suppose the butterfly would be OK with death by crop duster? "Ah, this is much better. That nasty applied science is scary and can't be trusted. I'd much rather die this way! Screw the groundwater. Gasp, choke."

Comment

Do you suppose the butterfly would be OK with death by crop duster? "Ah, this is much better. That nasty applied science is scary and can't be trusted. I'd much rather die this way! Screw the groundwater. Gasp, choke."
                    Are these the only two options? You do understand we are talking about consuming molecules of pesticides that can't be washed off, right?

You are correct though in that butterflies landing on the corn were not killed:
                    http://www.news.cornell.edu/releases...flies.bpf.html
                    Last edited by sinjin; October 18, 2006, 10:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro View Post
                      Why is this bad? Clones are just genetic duplicates of the original. We eat cloned food all the time, from plants.
                      As long as cloned products are labelled as such, then I have no problem with it because at least I can CHOOSE what I consume. It's when they don't label the cloned (GMO) stuff and market it as nonclone that I have a problem. If people want to trust the word of the FDA, that's fine. But I've taken enough genetics classes to know that if that stuff isn't highly controlled and you get mutant genes into the genetic stream, then you could get into whole heaps of trouble.

And clones may be "genetic duplicates" of their parents, but the experience with cloned animals like Dolly have shown that their life expectancies are less than their parents. It could be because the cloned cells start life being older than embryonic cells...the scientists still haven't figured out why this is happening.

Miulang

P.S. Here's an article about the life expectancy of cloned mice (Japanese study). And another article on the various types of cloning.
                      Last edited by Miulang; October 18, 2006, 11:40 AM.
                      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

You do understand we are talking about consuming molecules of pesticides that can't be washed off, right?
                        Oh, my GOD!! Who told you that? No wonder people are freaking out.

I am seriously ROTFL.

No, they are not "molecules of pesticides."

Genes are inserted into the plant that allow it to create a protein that kills the the larvae of the insect. It is not a "molecule of pesticide" that you are forced to consume.

OK, I'm going back to work.

Comment

I don't know this papaya story. Do tell.
                          http://www.organicconsumers.org/biod/papaya090804.cfm

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...603190311.html

Unlike most other Hawai'i farmers, papaya growers have one other issue with which to deal. Many Hawai'i papaya growers are raising a genetically engineered product that has yet to generate the market acceptance and higher sales prices that non-genetically modified papayas command. Japan, for example, does not accept genetically modified papaya.

If I understand it correctly, the GMO papayas spread to the non-gmo. Japan doesnt buy GMO foods. On the other hand the 2nd link says that without the GMO papayas, there wouldnt even be a market as the ring spot virus wiped out alot of papayas.

I'm only a little concerned about GMO foods. I dont think theres a long term study being done, so years from now what if we start growing papayas in our stomachs or we start turning into cows. (oh wait, too late) =p
                          Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Oh, my GOD!! Who told you that? No wonder people are freaking out.

I am seriously ROTFL.

No, they are not "molecules of pesticides."

Genes are inserted into the plant that allow it to create a protein that kills the the larvae of the insect. It is not a "molecule of pesticide" that you are forced to consume.

OK, I'm going back to work.
                            I can't remember exactly but I am certainly open to learning. Could you possibly tone yourself down enough to have a civil conversation? This uberbitch thing gets a little old.
                            http://www.newswithviews.com/Smith/jeffrey7.htm

Comment

I can't remember exactly but I am certainly open to learning. Could you possibly tone yourself down enough to have a civil conversation?
                              I thought I was toned down. Huh.

This uberbitch thing gets a little old.
                              So does the ignorance that triggers it. I'm not saying that to attack you personally, Sinjin. At work, I receive form letters that certain individuals copy from anti-GMO Web sites. I also receive mass mailings from people who run the sites. Many of these letters display a shocking lack of critical thinking (a subject that absolutely should be taught in our schools). It's irritating.

And the ignorance is voluntary. The facts are out there, yet people allow themselves to be led around by organizations whose agenda appears to be to bring down the U.S. agricultural industry, take scientific knowledge back to the Dark Ages, destroy the environment and keep starving people in Third World countries hungry for the forseeable future.

I don't expect most people to have an extensive knowledge of genetics, biology and other sciences. I just wish they wouldn't swallow the Flat Earth Society's snake oil quite so readily. It's not just irritating -- it's downright dangerous when advances in science that make pesticides unnecessary and make it easier for people in other countries, not just this one, to grow food — gifts that could be shared with the world — are being held back and even painted as evil by singleminded doomsayers who, I suspect, have stock in companies that make pesticides.

I have a very long day working tomorrow and probably Saturday, so I might not be able to post for a couple of days, but I will try to at least check in and read this thread. Please don't think I'm ignoring you or being rude if you post something and I don't reply right away. I haven't had much time for HT lately but I'm poking my head in every now and then.

Comment

Working...
                              X