Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paycheck TAXES!!!!

My lord.... i get my first check tomorrow and saw it online today. YUCK

even with claiming 2 for both Fed and State, i'm still coming out shorter than my check in Texas that had 401k and everything else out. And that's by making more here in Hawaii than i did in Texas, although Texas has no state income tax.

$175 for Hawaii state tax for 1 paycheck!!!!! OMG
    website - http://www.brianhancock.com
    blog - http://blog.brianhancock.com

Re: Paycheck TAXES!!!!

We got to pay for the infrastructure of all us "new" people coming into the State.

Comment

Originally posted by LocalMotion View Post
      $175 for Hawaii state tax for 1 paycheck!!!!! OMG
      'Course that's not a very meaningful number unless we know what the gross was.

Texas had no income tax, but they had a hefty sales tax and pretty extreme property taxes. Oregon has no sales tax and a very low property tax, but pretty hefty income taxes. They get ya one way or another. Just open your door and look outside at where you get to live, and be happy it's only $175

Comment

Originally posted by Bard View Post
        'Course that's not a very meaningful number unless we know what the gross was.

Texas had no income tax, but they had a hefty sales tax and pretty extreme property taxes. Oregon has no sales tax and a very low property tax, but pretty hefty income taxes. They get ya one way or another. Just open your door and look outside at where you get to live, and be happy it's only $175
        i totally agree with you Bard... one way or the other... and my playground is an amazing site, worth the "hawaii is so expensive" you hear from everyone. i'm lucky enough to make a decent wage, where i can afford the rent, a car, and still have money to play with...

but yeah property tax in Texas is very high, but in san antonio houses are next to nothing. i recently sold my 2800 sqr ft home for $220k and i was paying $6000 a year in property taxes!!!!
        website - http://www.brianhancock.com
        blog - http://blog.brianhancock.com

Comment

Originally posted by LocalMotion View Post
          but yeah property tax in Texas is very high, but in san antonio houses are next to nothing. i recently sold my 2800 sqr ft home for $220k and i was paying $6000 a year in property taxes!!!!
          Yikes!! Heh, $220k here in Portland will get you a nice 1000-1200 sqft house in a mediocre area. And the property taxes will probably be about $1600/yr. My whole family lives in Dallas and they are dumbfounded by the real estate numbers I throw out when they ask.

I have a doctor friend here who bought a house recently in what's considered to be one of the better areas of town, for something like $600k.. I think it was maybe 1500-2000 sqft.

And people wonder why I'm not shell-shocked looking at Hawai'i real estate prices.

I think you just have to find a place you click with and figure out how to do it from there. If it involves lots of taxes... so be it. That's why we're here right now.

Comment

shell-shock was getting my first 9K check and taking home only 4600.

mostly federal but GRRRR i can't help thinking about sonny.
            life is ok sometimes

Comment

Originally posted by christa View Post
              shell-shock was getting my first 9K check and taking home only 4600.

mostly federal but GRRRR i can't help thinking about sonny.
              Shell shock is imagining a 9K paycheck. Gasp! I've never broken 3K for a single check.

Good for you, cw!

Comment

I'm classified as an "independent contractor," so no payroll taxes or FICA are taken out. Those $10-20K checks I get on occasion look good, but I get the hook when it's time to file in April. The blow is softened somewhat by the withholding from my wife's income, but I've had to write a $12K check to the "Infernal (oops, I mean Internal) Revenue Service" to satisfy my tax obligation. And that's in addition to the quartely estimated tax payments!

It is more convenient to have taxes extracted throughout the year and certainly less of a SHOCK! Still, barely netting half of the gross earnings is demoralizing .........

Comment

I lose about 25% of each of my paychecks to the infernal revenue service (I like that ) and Oregon. Another .5% or so goes to property taxes, and I usually end up with some sort of refund from both.

I'm probably gonna get some of that shell-shock too if I end up there...

Comment

i pay $175/month in mello roos - doh.

i live in northern san diego county... i know taxes!!!

i know crazy realestate prices.

i know dead stop traffic.

i know what an 80 mile commute - round trip - is through dead stop traffic.

sigh.

i'm happy your in hawaii.

wish i was there... i can only visit.

joel

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro View Post
                      Shell shock is imagining a 9K paycheck. Gasp! I've never broken 3K for a single check.

Good for you, cw!

we ARE hiring
                      life is ok sometimes

Comment

Originally posted by christa View Post
                        we ARE hiring
                        9K check??? That is 18K per month, that is 196K annually???

Either you're a big time exec (not too many of those) or in sales. Where do you work?

Comment

i'm a headhunter for a small firm that has some very nice clients. all in the bay. which is why i'm in slippers right now.

heh!
                          life is ok sometimes

Comment

Originally posted by Bard View Post
                            I lose about 25% of each of my paychecks to the infernal revenue service (I like that ) and Oregon. Another .5% or so goes to property taxes, and I usually end up with some sort of refund from both.

I'm probably gonna get some of that shell-shock too if I end up there...
                            My state and federal taxes, deducted from my paycheck, are just a bit over 25%. My workplace has a pre-tax 401K deduction program that lowers my taxes a bit. Medicare, FICA, etc, kick up the amount I "donate" each month to a total of about 30% or so.

Property taxes are not bad here, compared to many parts of the country. The sales tax on absolutely everything sucks, though. But after a while you just don't even pay attention to it.

Comment

Ahh cool, thanks for the numbers there. That makes me feel a little better anyway...

Only bad thing is, I bet I lose my automatic withholding again. The company is in Texas and when we first moved out here, they made us pay our own state income taxes. Man that bill's a shocker! Especially in Oregon. We got withholding eventually, I think because we got a physical office here and they got in trouble with ORS... (Or so I'm guessing, I never heard for sure.)

Comment

Working...
                              X