Ford to discontinue Taurus line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford to discontinue Taurus line

After 21 years, the last Taurus is expected to roll off the Ford production line sometime next week. I didn't realize they were still manufacturing them, but it's a sad end to a car that sold 7 million units over its lifetime.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Ford to discontinue Taurus line

Here's a Ford Taurus/Mercury Sable tribute video.

As a Bull owner myself, I'm sad to see this car discontinued. Also lately, I've noticed a rise in Taurus cars on the road here, especially the late models.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

I read somewhere that the Taurus, once engaged in a neck-and-neck race with the Toyota Camry and Honda Accord for top-selling model, has been relegated in recent years to fleet sales for auto rentals.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
        I read somewhere that the Taurus, once engaged in a neck-and-neck race with the Toyota Camry and Honda Accord for top-selling model, has been relegated in recent years to fleet sales for auto rentals.
        Yep. The 2nd Generation model (1992-95) was a best seller until they redesigned it for the 3rd generation. Some say that the oval shape killed it, as it never recovered.

Comment

Fricken jellybean cars.

Comment

When the Ford Taurus and its upscale sibling, the Mercury Sable were introduced in late 1985, I certainly thought the future of automotive design had finally become a reality. IMO these 2 cars certainly echoed the futuristic look of what cars were supposed to be like in the late 20th century, according to artist sketches, models and show cars I saw as a kid back in the day.

What I liked about the early Sables were the across the width "lightbar" at the front of the car. It's too bad they never put in the old Mercury Cougar style sequential turn signals from the late 1960s into this vehicle. That would have been cool.

The original design of these cars were stunning and certainly contributed to their success. It is too bad they all became ugly and lost their lustre as a distinctive, futuristic model when they were redesigned for the 3rd generation rollout in 1996. From there is was downhill ever since.

I remember Ford introducing the Ford 500 in 2005 and sales of that car have never taken off.
            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I still don't get the logic behind killing off the Taurus nameplate. Instead of putting out new names people have no recognition with like the Ford 500, just spend the resources on redesigning a next generation of Taurus. Is that so hard to do? Ford spends 21 years building up the nameplate and now they are chucking it.

Comment

I admit, I was a total dork when I was a kid. Because I actually loved the Taurus. To the point where I collected the official dealer brochures, and pictures of early modifications, like the first Taurus/Sable limousines.

I even liked the wagon. Those vertical tail lamps and curvy liftgates looked cool to me. Like a little poke at Cadillac.

True, five years later, every car manufacturer was making cookie-cutter, bubble-shaped sedans. And it got to the point where the ubiquitous rounded look was considered to be what was wrong with the entire American automobile industry. But when the Taurus first came out, it was as drastic a a design decision for its time as, say, the first PT Cruiser, or Chrysler 300M, or Scion xB. (All cars that people continue to love or hate.) It was a concept car come to life.

And Mel, I, too, loved the full length light bar of the Sable. I always thought the full-length tail lamps of the Buick Century was GMs answer to that design cue.

And I was so big a fan of the sequential signals of the classic Cougar, that the '69 Cougar remains one of my dream cars to this day. I guess the Taurus/Sable would have been the perfect model to re-introduce that parlour trick, considering the "radiate" design of the tail lamps.

Considering lots of other once popular lines are being discontinued (including the entire Oldsmobile brand), the Taurus' time has come. But it's a shame that the 500 hasn't really taken off. I guess Ford's small car entry, the Focus, is selling like hotcakes.

Comment

Well, with a loyal following of owners and enthusisats, I'm willing to bet that Ford will bring it back sometime in the future, like the Thunderbird.

Comment

Unfortunately the 2002 - 2005 "Retro Birds" were priced too high ($45,000) and were never a big seller. They were discontinued in 2005.

I think the return of the Taurus is unlikey as a traditional sedan platform. Maybe in about 10 to 20 years the nameplate will return as some kind of high concept vehicle. After all Ford is resurrecting the Fairlane nameplate as some kind of hybrid SUV.
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                      I guess Ford's small car entry, the Focus, is selling like hotcakes.
                      Here's another mistake I think Ford made. The Focus is a good small car and sells well. But when they decided to redesign the Focus in 2005, they decided to not bring the new design to North America, rather just update the old model. Why? Who makes these decisions in their management? It seems like they enjoying shooting themselves in the foot or something.

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                        Unfortunately the 2002 - 2005 "Retro Birds" were priced too high ($45,000) and were never a big seller. They were discontinued in 2005.

I think the return of the Taurus is unlikey as a traditional sedan platform. Maybe in about 10 to 20 years the nameplate will return as some kind of high concept vehicle. After all Ford is resurrecting the Fairlane nameplate as some kind of hybrid SUV.
                        Yep, the T-bird was overpriced and had ho-hum performance for its weight.

I'm not a big fan of retiring nameplates only to resurrect them years later. I rather see them just keep on improving an existing nameplate. You don't see too many Japanese nameplates being retired. Corolla's been around for like 40 years now?

Comment

It's the American carmakers that bring back nameplates from time to time.

CHEVY: Malibu, Impala, Monte Carlo. Any bets on whether the Camaro will be resurrected?

PONTIAC: LeMans.

DODGE: Challenger, Charger.

CHRYSLER: 300, Sebring (formerly a Plymouth).

MERCURY: Cougar.

Comment

So, there isn't anyone else here that has a taurus? I want to try and start a Ford Taurus Car Club in the islands, but I guess either no one has the heart to care for these cars, or don't care.

Comment

Just heard on Fox radio news this morning that Ford is reviving the Taurus name. They are going to rename the Ford 500 sedan, Taurus. The 500 has had slow sales since its introduction in 2004.

more info
                              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
                              X