Frito-Lay closing Hawaii plant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frito-Lay closing Hawaii plant

No more really fresh Fritos, Cheetos and Doritos in Hawaii!

Frito-Lay will lay off 108 workers at its Aiea plant at the end of November and will no longer manufacture its snack products in the islands.
    The company said the Aiea location will serve as a temporary distribution center. Frito-Lay said it will retain 123 workers that are employed by its warehouse and sales operations.

The Aiea plant produces potato chips, corn chips and other snacks under the company's Cheetos, Doritos, Fritos and Funyuns brands. The company, a division of PepsiCo, said those products will be made at its plants on the Mainland and will be shipped to Hawaii.
    Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Frito-Lay closing Hawaii plant

That's sucks. I love Fritos and Lays Chips.... I can't just eat one! I need the whole bag!
    Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)

Comment

Delicious Fritos - the snack the puts the "eden" in "sedentary."
      ~~~ Scott Feschuk (Canadian humor writer; Macleans, 10/2/06) ~~~

Comment

Not nice. If they are pulling out of Hawaii, I think I'll think twice about ever buying their products again. So? I'll be slimmer right?
        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

about three years ago when I worked for the Gas Company, we installed these remote reading systems on their gas meters. Their corporate HQ wanted to see how much gas they were using on a day to day basis. I guess they figured that the amount Frito's was paying for manufacturing was higher than simply shipping in the product from their west coast facilities.
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I read the article link

But this aspect doesn't make sense to me,

"Frito-Lay said, in a news release today, that the Aiea plant cannot be expanded, so it is switching production to larger facilities on the Mainland"

What is preventing them from expanding their existing plant ?
            Check out my blog on Kona issues :
            The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
              I read the article link

But this aspect doesn't make sense to me,

"Frito-Lay said, in a news release today, that the Aiea plant cannot be expanded, so it is switching production to larger facilities on the Mainland"

What is preventing them from expanding their existing plant ?
              Their location. I've been there and they are wall to wall in that space. They could consider Campbell Industrial park but with the leases coming up next year I suspect the cost for leasing and/or purchasing a suitable size could be astronomical.

Not very many other locations on Oahu...But lots of space on the Big Island.

Comment

I wonder if Frito-Lay will continue to make their version of Maui style potato chips? You know the ones in the colorful bags and come in regular and Maui onion flavor. And, as stated on the bags they're sold in, they are made in Hawaii. If Frito-Lay continues to market these Maui chips in Hawaii, and make them on the mainland, these chips will truly be, at best, "island-style". Maybe the closing of the plant could potentially be a good thing for Kitchen Cooked (not the actually spelling) brand actually made on Maui. If one wants real Maui chips, one evidently will have buy authentic Maui chips. No mainland imitations.

Comment

Originally posted by Surfingfarmboy View Post
                  I wonder if Frito-Lay will continue to make their version of Maui style potato chips? You know the ones in the colorful bags and come in regular and Maui onion flavor. And, as stated on the bags they're sold in, they are made in Hawaii. If Frito-Lay continues to market these Maui chips in Hawaii, and make them on the mainland, these chips will truly be, at best, "island-style". Maybe the closing of the plant could potentially be a good thing for Kitchen Cooked (not the actually spelling) brand actually made on Maui. If one wants real Maui chips, one evidently will have buy authentic Maui chips. No mainland imitations.
                  I grew up eating Kitch'n Cook'd potato chips...their original "factory" was right up the street from my house. But I never really liked them because I always seemed to get the bag with the most "overdone" pieces! But I guess there are some people who really like those burnt pieces. We have a brand up here called Tim's Cascade, now a division of Birds Eye Food (people in Hawai'i may also be able to find this brand at Costco and maybe even at Safeway) that has "Maui-style" chips which taste much better, IMO. I also like Tim's Wasabi-flavored potato chips. Tim's also has a "Hawaiian BBQ" flavor chip that's kinda spicy.

Miulang
                  "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                    We have a brand up here called Tim's Cascade, now a division of Birds Eye Food (people in Hawai'i may also be able to find this brand at Costco and maybe even at Safeway) that has "Maui-style" chips which taste much better, IMO.

Miulang
                    Don Quijote (Daiei) also has Tim Cascade chips, which is my favorite "Maui-style" (or kettle cooked) chips.

Comment

Most importantly... Where's Granny Goose and the Frito Bandito gonna hang out? HaHa!
                      Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                        I grew up eating Kitch'n Cook'd potato chips...their original "factory" was right up the street from my house. But I never really liked them because I always seemed to get the bag with the most "overdone" pieces! But I guess there are some people who really like those burnt pieces. We have a brand up here called Tim's Cascade, now a division of Birds Eye Food (people in Hawai'i may also be able to find this brand at Costco and maybe even at Safeway) that has "Maui-style" chips which taste much better, IMO. I also like Tim's Wasabi-flavored potato chips. Tim's also has a "Hawaiian BBQ" flavor chip that's kinda spicy.

Miulang
                        When the owner died, the son took over. Apparently the son didn't follow the father's rule of limiting the use of the deep fryer oil and reused it giving the chips a burnt taste.

Frito's on the other hand used a conveyor belt design over a vat of hot cooking oil running the chips over the oil to cook the chips resulting in less oil saturation.

Comment

http://gma.yahoo.com/fla-siblings-ch...opstories.html

They wouldn't be able to do this in Hawaii.

Comment

Working...
                          X