Oil Change Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Change Question

I took my 2005 Ford Ranger in for its 15,000 mile servicing. When I picked it
    up, I was told they had to replace the oil plug since it was warped. I'm curious
    I've been changing my oil at 3,000 miles (Service interval book recommends 5,000 miles) if getting my oil changed sooner caused the oil plug to warp.
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

Re: Oil Change Question

No. If the plug "warped," it had nothing to do with how long you did or did not wait between oil changes.

Did they tell you anything more specific, like whether the threads were off or if the whole plug seemed bent, anything like that? Actual warping should happen only under extreme and rapid temperature changes, AFAIK.

Comment

The service adviser was really hard to understand. I had problems with him
      before. Unfortunately I was stuck with dealing with him this go around.
      Thus I only know that it was replaced. Also he mentioned it could cause
      problems down the line if it wasn't replaced.

The truck runs fine, doesn't overheat or cause me problems. I'm just perplexed
      why they had to replace the oil plug so soon. I figured it was because I excessively
      did my oil changes.
      The Kona Blog

Comment

I'm religious about an oil change every 2500 miles. If my mechanic finds anything else that should be repaired or replaced he always shows me the part and explains everything in detail...even tho' 99.5% of it goes right over my head! I can safely say I've not had a warped oil plug! I woulda remembered that 'cuz I know I would've turned it into a raunchy joke! I love embarrassing my mechanic 'cuz he such a good guy!

Comment

The service interval book recommends oil changes for my truck every 5,000
          miles.But I've been religiously doing it on all my cars I've had at 3,000 miles.
          But I've never had to have a oil drain plug replaced.
          The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
            The service interval book recommends oil changes for my truck every 5,000
            miles.But I've been religiously doing it on all my cars I've had at 3,000 miles.
            But I've never had to have a oil drain plug replaced.
            I think Maddie's right...that the frequency of oil changes has nothing to do with the warped plug.

Ah jeez...what the heck am I doing participating in a car engine thread?!

Comment

I wish I could've understood that service adviser a bit better. You know
              the feeling you can visualize what he said, but you can't express it in
              word form. Thats where I am at this point. Warped was the best way
              I could describe it.

I had not been taking it to the dealership to get serviced until now.
              Since it is a PITA to get a service appointment with them.
              But the 15K was an important milestone. Thus if I didn't take it to them,
              my warranty would be invalidated.Anyway I figured too that possibly
              the oil change place I had been going to up until this point had been roughshod
              with oil plug.
              The Kona Blog

Comment

It's very unusual; I've never had to replace oil plugs in my cars, and I've never driven anything nearly as new as what you've got. The plug must have been defective to begin with, or else maybe it was screwed in off-threads and that messed it up.

It couldn't have been very expensive to replace it, could it?

I once taught a girl how to change the oil in her car, and I forgot to replace the plug when I put the new oil in. Super, duper, duper embarrassing.
                But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I wish I could've understood that service adviser a bit better. You know
                  the feeling you can visualize what he said, but you can't express it in
                  word form. Thats where I am at this point. Warped was the best way
                  I could describe it.

I had not been taking it to the dealership to get serviced until now.
                  Since it is a PITA to get a service appointment with them.
                  But the 15K was an important milestone. Thus if I didn't take it to them,
                  my warranty would be invalidated.Anyway I figured too that possibly
                  the oil change place I had been going to up until this point had been roughshod
                  with oil plug.
                  I can only surmise that the previous folks doing the oil changes might have over-torqued the bolt and warped it in the process. Maybe if they could show you the bad part, it would make more sense? Somehow I feel what the advisor is saying is that the bolt's threads are stripped.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                    I can only surmise that the previous folks doing the oil changes might have over-torqued the bolt and warped it in the process. Maybe if they could show you the bad part, it would make more sense? Somehow I feel what the advisor is saying is that the bolt's threads are stripped.
                    I discovered the same thing when I did my own oil change a couple months ago. Dudes over at Speedie Lube tightened it to the point where some threads were cracked. There's really no other way to render the plug useless except for cutting it in half, since the plug is really just a bolt. Just a couple q's:

Did they show you the old plug?
                    How much did they charge you for a replacement plug?
                    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
                      I discovered the same thing when I did my own oil change a couple months ago. Dudes over at Speedie Lube tightened it to the point where some threads were cracked. There's really no other way to render the plug useless except for cutting it in half, since the plug is really just a bolt. Just a couple q's:

Did they show you the old plug?
                      How much did they charge you for a replacement plug?
                      This is what had happened, Orchid Isle Ford here is very hard to get any
                      service appointments. Take for example my 15K service, I had to schedule it
                      three weeks out. Since anything before 15K was pretty much oil changes, I took it
                      to a oil change place here in Kona. When I was told by the hard to
                      understand service adviser they had to replace the oil plug, I had a thought
                      that it was that other place damaged it maybe.

Orchid Isle charged me $14.xx for a new oil plug. Since I had problems with
                      this particular service adviser before (He was rude and hard to understand),
                      I didn't push the issue to see the plug itself.I really just wanted to get out
                      of there as they had already hit me up for $96.10 (69.xx for parts, 20 for
                      labor).

Anyway I guess what I learned about this is to make sure to mention to the
                      other place not to tighten the plug so tightly.
                      The Kona Blog

Comment

[...]Anyway I guess what I learned about this is to make sure to mention to the other place not to tighten the plug so tightly.
                        And maybe add: "...because the plug had been damaged during previous oil changes"!

Comment

This is what had happened, Orchid Isle Ford here is very hard to get any
                          service appointments. Take for example my 15K service, I had to schedule it
                          three weeks out. … Orchid Isle charged me $14.xx for a new oil plug. Since I had problems with
                          this particular service adviser before (He was rude and hard to understand) … they had already hit me up for $96.10 (69.xx for parts, 20 for
                          labor).
                          Ninety-six dollars for an OIL CHANGE??? Did you pay extra for the unacceptably long wait and the service manager's obnoxious attitude?

Please, please dump that dealer and find a reputable mechanic. There are so many GOOD, honest, courteous, hard-working small business owners who deserve our support. And there is really no reason to take a vehicle to the dealer for service, unless you want to solve that pesky problem of having waaay too much money in your bank account.

Tell you what -- next time I'm in Kona, I'll come over and show you how to change the oil. I'm serious. It takes about a half-hour (not the hour they charged you), tops, and is about the easiest maintenance you can perform on a vehicle. Now that I've said that, I should add that I don't change my Miata's oil, but that's *only* because the car is so low to the ground I can't get under it!

They're ripping you off, but only as long as you let them. Support independent mechanics and small business!

Comment

They didn't charge him an hour... more like 20 minutes. But I don't understand what the $69 for parts is for. There's the $14 for the replacement plug... so that's $55 for the filter and the oil? Hopefully they at least used synthetic for that much.

Also, when changing the oil it's a good idea to change the copper seal at each change. Get a bag of ten from the dealer for future changes.

Edit in:

If this was a warranty checkpoint... maybe the price isn't so bad since they probably topped off all the other fluids and checked everything else. For warranty peace of mind, I think its worth it. After that go back to changing your own oil and fluids until the next warranty milestone.
                            Last edited by cezanne; October 22, 2006, 01:20 PM.

Comment

If the folks that were doing the oil changes correctly, they should be using a torque wrench to tighten the oil plug. Each manufacturer has their own specs on how much ft-lb of torque should be used. That way, the plug cannot be over tightened to the point of stripping the threads. And they should be using a new washer that goes with the plug each time the oil is changed. I've seen shops that recycle the old washer and some that simply lose the old washer and just put the plug back into the oil pan.

As for the cost of the 15,000 mile service, that's supposed to include more than an oil change. What I could find for a Ford 15,000 is listed below. However, I honestly don't think the dealer has any right in voiding your warranty if you do your 15,000 mile service elsewhere as long as you have proof of the service being done. Nothing on the list looks like only the dealer can do.

# Change engine oil and replace oil filter
                              # Replace cabin air filter, if equipped
                              # Inspect tires for wear and rotate
                              # Inspect automatic transmission fluid level, if equipped with dipstick
                              # Inspect brake pads/shoes/rotors/drums, brake lines & hoses, and parking brake system
                              # Inspect wheel ends for endplay and noise
                              # Inspect engine cooling system and hoses
                              # Inspect steering linkage, suspension and, if equipped, driveshaft and ball joints

* Check and top up fluid levels:

- brake
                              - coolant recovery reservoir
                              - manual and automatic transmission
                              - clutch reservoir
                              - power steering
                              - window washer
                              * Inspect tires for wear and air pressure, including spare
                              * Check exhaust system for leaks, damage, loose parts and foreign material
                              * Check battery performance
                              * Check operation of horn, exterior lamps, turn signals and hazard warning lights
                              * Check radiator, coolers, heater and air conditioning hoses
                              * Check windshield washer spray and wiper operation
                              * Inspect accessory drive belts for proper tension, cracking and chunking
                              * Inspect air cleaner filter
                              * Inspect half shaft dust boots, if equipped
                              * Check and lubricate steering, suspension, ball joints, drive shaft U-joints and slip yoke (if serviceable)

Comment

Working...
                              X