Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would be your "dream" computer store?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would be your "dream" computer store?

Since this deals with the business side of computers, I thought I'd put it here.

The lease for the current location of our store will be up next year, so I thought I'd narrow the future locations of my work place. At our current location, there's barely no parking so we can't get that much walk in computer repair traffic.

If you could have a say in a computer store, what would your ideal computer store have/located? Will you have it at a shopping center? along side a busy street? I'll compile the a list and see if me and my boss can integrate it into our next location.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: What would be your "dream" computer store?

Location is everything. Parking is everything, especially if you have a business where people are required to bring stuff to you to be fixed. Being in a mall does have its advantages (for those impulse buyers who might be at the mall for some other reason and then see your store and decide to stop by and look around). Hawai'i (except for downtown Waikiki) is very car-oriented, so you would have trouble getting people into your store unless you offered free parking.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456 View Post
      If you could have a say in a computer store, what would your ideal computer store have/located?
      Free computers! But really...

I'd love to see more stores providing recycling for old components. A sad number of them are still going into landfills, and I'd think businesses could actually make money selling the metal back at least.

Besides that the main thing I like to see in a computer store is personable geeks. You know, not socially inept, but with a good amount of knowledge too. Nothing irks me more than going into Best Buy and having a sales guy try to seem like he knows more than I do on the subject. (He doesn't. ) On the other hand, sales guys who seem a little geeky and can actually give me recommendations and useful tech info, and then go away when I need to look at stuff and make a decision.. that's nice.

Comment

It would be newegg.com or tigerdirect.com with free shipping on everything to HI.
        Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Bard View Post
          Free computers! But really...
          Besides that the main thing I like to see in a computer store is personable geeks. You know, not socially inept, but with a good amount of knowledge too. Nothing irks me more than going into Best Buy and having a sales guy try to seem like he knows more than I do on the subject. (He doesn't. ) On the other hand, sales guys who seem a little geeky and can actually give me recommendations and useful tech info, and then go away when I need to look at stuff and make a decision.. that's nice.
          good luck with that. i think most stores hire salespeople, not techs. im a tech guy and a salesman, but i think thats sort of rare, imo. i know that compusa and radioshack hire salesguys, not neccessarily techs. plus techs can usually get paid better doing tech stuff. and really, who wants to deal with customer service?
          i was at a compusa once and saw a customer asking a red shirt if the network card he had in his hand would work on linux, the red shirt looked at the box's specs and said 'hrrrm, well it says here it will work on NT and linux is just like NT, so it should work'... the customer started yelling at the guy and nearly punched him out.
          Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

i also meant to say that byteware when it was on dillingham was pretty good. parking wasnt the best and the location wasnt the best, but it was a good store. sure that one older geek was pretty snobby, but i liked the place. so location and parking can be sub-standard but you must also have good product, good prices, and knowledgeable staff.
            Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbent View Post
              i was at a compusa once and saw a customer asking a red shirt if the network card he had in his hand would work on linux, the red shirt looked at the box's specs and said 'hrrrm, well it says here it will work on NT and linux is just like NT, so it should work'... the customer started yelling at the guy and nearly punched him out.
              Hah, oh man. That guy who was asking wasn't being the most informed either; if he's smart enough to know about and be using Linux, he probably should know that you have to look up that sort of thing online rather than asking sales people. Unless you're a corp customer or something. Sad fact of the industry currently...

But doc did ask about the "ideal" computer store, so that would be one of the things I'd like. I always feel a lot better going to a place when the people there know what they're talking about, and that goes for anything. Some of the best seem to be independent game stores actually. Those guys (and a surprising number of gals too) are always ready to BS with you about almost any gaming related topic and know what they're talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
                It would be newegg.com or tigerdirect.com with free shipping on everything to HI.
                Hehe, that's my dream computer store also. Alas, we order our stuff from CompUSSR.

Originally posted by Hellbent View Post
                good luck with that. i think most stores hire salespeople, not techs. im a tech guy and a salesman, but i think thats sort of rare, imo. i know that compusa and radioshack hire salesguys, not neccessarily techs. plus techs can usually get paid better doing tech stuff. and really, who wants to deal with customer service?
                CompUSA is a joke for computers. Sure, I applied there and didn't get the job, probably because I was more of a Tech, than a Salesperson. Of course, our advantage is that we're a small business, so we can take care of you like family. Even though business is slow, those who come in just talk story and feel relaxed (although I wish they'd buy something).

Well thanks for the suggestions, and keep 'um coming. Looks like we all think alike, as that's what I'm going for (or atleast doing right now - except for the parking).
                How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

My 'dream' computer store? An Apple Store in Waianae Mall! Better yet...Makaha Marketplace!

I'm an Apple ProCare customer and visit the Ala Moana store fairly often. All of the staff I've dealt with have been knowledgeable, very cool and a lot of fun. I'm particularly impressed by one salesperson...an Asian lady about my age (tutu material!)! She runs around in the Apple t-shirt and bermuda shorts and just proves that we don't get older...we get better! She's my hero!

Comment

My dream store would be any Apple store — with the simple addition of a massage table, where Henry Kapono would rub my shoulders while I ponder my next iPod. Mmmm ...

Comment

My dream computer store would have prices comparable to newegg or tiger direct. I hate seeing a product on those sites for dirt cheap, just to go to the store and have it be 2 to 3 times more.

Bleh after the earth quake/ power outage I went to buy a new power supply, damn thing ended up costing me 60$'s , The price for the same thing on newegg 20$'s.
                      808blogs.com- Start your own blog now, for free!
                      kazaru.808blogs.com - my blog!
                      http://kazaru.com - personal site DOWN ATM

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza View Post
                        My dream store would be any Apple store — with the simple addition of a massage table, where Henry Kapono would rub my shoulders while I ponder my next iPod. Mmmm ...
                        Ditto that, except in my case, replace Henry Kapono with Salma Hayek and it's perfect. Oh, and all the computers would all be $.99.
                        http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                        Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                        Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

As big of a fan as I am of Apple's products, I'd have to pass on the Apple store as the ideal computer store. Conspicuous waste of space is common, like one of those $1k purse stores, and I often feel out of place.. like I'm not hip enough to be there or something

Plus we went to one to buy a computer a while back and had to spend about 10 minutes telling the sales guy no,... no,... no,... and oh btw.. NO! Because he kept trying to sell us AppleCare and .Mac and Office and whatever else... this after I told the guy we have our own web hosting (he should've taken the geek hint )

I have to admit that the tech guys there (at the genius bar) are usually really cool though.

Comment

Dream computer store?

Hmm, It would have at least 1 each of the following:

Sub sandwich deli or just a meat and cheese deli
                            strip bar
                            biggest selection of beers on tap
                            latest gadgets at super cheap prices
                            Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Well Doc, I don't know where you work, so I can't say why I don't visit.

Parking is a must, along with decent entry/exit so I don't feel like I'm endangering myself getting in or out. (Like no left turns across two lanes of busy traffic.)

The store I visit the most is CompUSA, because I shop the specials (I'm a sucker for closeouts, rebates and all deep discounts.), and because I know there's be a selection and they'll probably have what I need. Of course the fact they are close to where I work doesn't hurt.

My second most common place is probably Personal Touch, because they are right across the street. After checking out CompUSA, I can stroll across the lot and check out that store and make my decision. Can't say as I've bought much there, but he must do alright since he's still alive. The fact he can "borrow" CompUSA's big lot helps I'm sure. It may not be practical to move into the same area, but if you locate yourself near a store I might also want to visit (RadioShack?) the more likely I am to go there.

But if I know you've got what I need at a price I'll like, I will find a way to your door. But the trick is, I have to know that you have it and how much. A good web page is important. I use CompUSA's all the time just to save a trip or to plan my trip.

As for the store itself, I have to see the products. When I window shop, I'll remember that you have something. I need to see it and I need to look at the box in my hand and read all the write-up on it. Within reason, I need to be able to paw the merchandise.

Comment

Working...
                              X