Open 24 Hours

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open 24 Hours

Restaurant, supermarket or convenience store. After that graveyard shift or night out on the town, it's comforting to know that at 2, 3 or 4 am in the morning you can go somewhere to grab a nice meal and cup of coffee or tea.

While not that common, Oahu does have a few 24-hour establishments, with Zippy's, Anna Millers, Jack in the Box, Don Quijote, Safeway and 7-11 top-of-mind.*

Whatever your neck-of-the-woods, where's your favorite place for late-night eats? Any interesting tales to tell? There often is at this time of hour!

*Availability by location may vary.
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Re: Open 24 Hours

7-11.. my fave place for somethin quik if I need grind at 1am.. lol
    but Safeway has my back too.. I like em both alot.. easy places

Comment

Panda on Keeamoku used to have dim sum to order between 10pm and 2am. Sorabol (also on Keeaumoku) is 24 hours and is really good, but not that cheap.
      Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

I thought we covered this before, but I couldn't find it when I searched, so:

Diners on King. Get the roast pork or roast beef. Loco moco's good, too.
        Likelike Drive-In on Keeaumoku. Whatever you get, finish it with blueberry freckle ice cream.
        Hungry Lion on Nuuanu (24 hours on weekends). Some of it sucks, but if you know what to order, it's not bad. Most of the stuff on the breakfast menu's pretty good.
        Liliha Bakery on Kuakini.
        Wailana Coffee House on Kalia and Ala Moana. I've never had anything good there.
        Anna Miller's at Pearlridge. Nice waitresses.
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
          Wailana Coffee House on Kalia and Ala Moana. I've never had anything good there.
          Heh. Funny. When we lived in Waikiki, we'd end up here on occasion, but never for the food. In fact, we considered it's awfulness part of its charm, in a twisted way. At 2 a.m., there was a server there, a large woman who was basically mad at the world. She hated taking your order and made sure you knew it. My friends and I even picked up a catch phrase from her, when one particularly memorable night (where her performance was the best thing about our visit), we tried to order some waffles.

"Waffle," she grunted, like some kind of bridge-guarding troll. "Broken!"

It was our "No soup for you!" before there was "No soup for you!"

Then there was the time a photographer I worked with at UH had all his equipment stolen out of his car in the parking lot...
          Anna Miller's at Pearlridge. Nice waitresses.
          Sure saw that one coming. Though I have to give a good part of the credit to whomever settled on the uniform. Classy yet very flirty. I imagine it could make just about anyone look good.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
            Heh. Funny. When we lived in Waikiki, we'd end up here on occasion, but never for the food. In fact, we considered it's awfulness part of its charm, in a twisted way. At 2 a.m., there was a server there, a large woman who was basically mad at the world. She hated taking your order and made sure you knew it. My friends and I even picked up a catch phrase from her, when one particularly memorable night (where her performance was the best thing about our visit), we tried to order some waffles.

"Waffle," she grunted, like some kind of bridge-guarding troll. "Broken!"

It was our "No soup for you!" before there was "No soup for you!"
            I had a similar experience like that not too long ago.

If I wanted crappy service and even crappier food for less price, I'd haul my butt to Denny's up on Kuhio. Funny how you're willing to eat anything, even crappy food, after the bars close at 2am.
            Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
            We're not here to mess around
            Boston, you know we love you madly
            Hear the crowd roar to your sound
            Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
            You know we couldn't live without you
            Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

I thought we covered this before, but I couldn't find it when I searched,
              It was in HawaiiStories, titled Eating places that are open all the time. Warning: The first 7 comments are on topic but the ones after that are not.

Followup to the original article from 3 years ago, Kam Boat is no longer there and if memory serves went through at least 3 different restaurants in the same location but none of them opened late like Kam Boat did.

Jack-in-the-Box the Drive Thru is open 24 hours but the main restaurant usually closes at 10pm.

Comment

Helen, yeah you folks covered some good ground in the begining of that thread. I remember Taiyo Ramen (formerly across KFC near Ala Moana) being open in the wee hours of the morning and PACKED.

Here's the current state of another popular 24-hour institution gone bye-bye...

Jack in the Box on the corner of McCully and Kalakaua Ave. in Waikiki. Now closed and all boarded up. Notice the unsightly grafitti. I'd like to see a 24 hour Big City Diner open here! (I snapped that photo last minute sitting in my car at the stoplight).

An unpainted reminder of what this once was (McCully side of the building)

What's sort of odd are the hours Eggs 'N Things right across the street operates: Open at 11pm at night until 2pm in the afternoon. That just kinda' throws me off. They sure attract a strong Japanese tourist crowd. They must advertise aggressively in those travel brochures.
                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                  What's sort of odd are the hours Eggs 'N Things right across the street operates: Open at 11pm at night until 2pm in the afternoon. That just kinda' throws me off. They sure attract a strong Japanese tourist crowd. They must advertise aggressively in those travel brochures.
                  Pomai - Have you ever ate there?

It's pretty good and the Salsa they have for the eggs is so good that they sell the salsa all by itself in "to-go" containers.

Reasonably priced...and yes, it does attract a big japanese tourist crowd.

However, as busy as the place is...it seems to always have lines... however, the lines go fast and the food is worth it...(plus they have "pagers" to let you know when your table is ready)

I would much rather eat there then say a "Denny's, IHOP, or even Wailana Coffee House"

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123 View Post
                    Pomai - Have you ever ate there?

It's pretty good and the Salsa they have for the eggs is so good that they sell the salsa all by itself in "to-go" containers.

Reasonably priced...and yes, it does attract a big japanese tourist crowd.

However, as busy as the place is...it seems to always have lines... however, the lines go fast and the food is worth it...(plus they have "pagers" to let you know when your table is ready)

I would much rather eat there then say a "Denny's, IHOP, or even Wailana Coffee House"
                    I love love love Eggs 'N Things and I was so happy when they reopened after the fire.

For the Leeward side people, you all know about Miki's -- that hole in the wall on Lehua Ave. in Pearl City. They had weird hours too: I think it was 10:30 pm till the sun came up or when the food runs out (whichever came first)? Very popular with the night owls...a crowd favorite if you're on your way home from the clubs/bars. The "menu" was a dry erase board with usually no more than 5 items, but all delicious nonetheless.

I know the lady who ran the place passed away recently, so I don't know if that place is still open as I haven't been by in a long time.

Comment

Can't go wrong with the Eggs Benedict at Wailana. Especially after 8 or 12 cocktails.

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                        I remember Taiyo Ramen (formerly across KFC near Ala Moana) being open in the wee hours of the morning and PACKED.
                        Taiyo's still open late, and still quite busy, but it is now next to the Blockbuster on Pi`ikoi. Not 24 hours, though, so it doesn't qualify in this thread!
                        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Byron's Drive Inn, by the airport.

They make huge omlettes, and the burgers are pretty good.

FYI: Liliha Bakery is closed one night a week. I think it's Sunday or Monday.

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe View Post
                            Byron's Drive Inn, by the airport.

They make huge omlettes, and the burgers are pretty good.

FYI: Liliha Bakery is closed one night a week. I think it's Sunday or Monday.
                            I can't believe I forgot about Byron's! I love their slush floats during the daytime.

And as for Liliha Bakery, I think it's Monday that they're closed.

Comment

Taiyo's still open late, and still quite busy, but it is now next to the Blockbuster on Pi`ikoi. Not 24 hours, though, so it doesn't qualify in this thread!
                              I was gonna' name this thread "Late Night Eats", but thought "Open 24 Hours" had more punch to it. Heck, open until 3am is late enough.

I did notice Taiyo tucked away between Blockbuster and I Love Country Cafe. I imagine they have much less walk-in traffic there than their former location. I tried their ramen once at the former location and didn't care for the broth, so never went back.

That's right.. Byrons! They have such a huge menu board. Almost as "bad" as as Mililani Restaurant. Mind boggling. We used to stop by Byron's late at night when I worked for Hawaiian Airlines (long time ago).

Didn't KC Drive Inn also stay open until really late?

I notice Violets Grill in Dillingham Plaza (Kalihi) stays open until 2am, mainly for their bar.
                              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Working...
                              X