How Racist Are You?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Racist Are You?

After viewing the movie Crash, it left me with the impression that we ALL are a little racist. Even in a "melting pot" like Hawaii I witness it everyday. So, my BOLD fellow HawaiiThreader's just how racist are you?

Myself being 100% Japanese, I find that most Japanese people I have met are very "stick to your own kind" in Hawaii and because of that I am very turned off by my own race. I have a son that is part mexican/hawaiian /filipino/japanese and I am currently married to a haole woman who is my soul mate. I know it's weird to look down on our own race, but they shame me personally.
    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
    Flickr

Re: How Racist Are You?

To paraphrase Chris Rock, theres regular people then theres ignorant people. I've met people who asked if I was Chinese (I am) and only want to deal with Chinese. I've met the opposite too.
    I think we living in Hawaii are more tolerant, we joke about the pake's, the portugees, the japs, etc. To an extent we have stereotypes about the same. The shame is when you deal with someone who has a grudge against a race or even preference to a race.
    Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Have you ever heard this one...Oh I not racist ,but if my kid married a popolo...sad fo' the kid...yeah? WTF!? I've heard so many local people say this, but claim they're not racist.

Flickr

Comment

If you support Affirmative Action, YOU MUST BE A RACIST.

If you support KSBE admission policy, YOU MUST BE A RACIST.

If you prefer business with your own, YOU MUST BE A RACIST.

If you think ancestry or geneology is a right of priviledge, YOU MUST BE A RACIST.

I am the first Modern American, with such a mix, as to claim ALL races. Therefore I am quite critical of racism in general. If you think you are special, or different, or deserving, because of your race, then your ignorance is only surpassed by your egomania.

I am a member of the group called Humans, on Planet Earth. One and the same, from soup to nuts.
        FutureNewsNetwork.com
        Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Everyone's prejudiced, yes. Racist? Not so sure. But I'm surea high percentage of people have done something to deny another person access to services, etc.
          Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

I'm racist against small dogs. They're annoyingly yappy and never shut up. Don't think I used that word correctly, but I was just kidding. Kinda sorta.

Being chop suey myself, I'd like to think that I'm not racist. That's a pretty strong word, though. I'd agree with MikeL that the word "prejudiced" applies a little to everyone better than "racist".

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear View Post
              After viewing the movie Crash, it left me with the impression that we ALL are a little racist.
              Please don't clump me in that because there is no ounce of racism in me. I've never felt that one race is more superior than another. I don't discriminate, nor do I have hatred or intolerance of races, including my own.

I get annoyed at ignorance and stupidity, not because they're black, white, or yellow.
              Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
              We're not here to mess around
              Boston, you know we love you madly
              Hear the crowd roar to your sound
              Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
              You know we couldn't live without you
              Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Just the thread title threw me for a loop, quite an assumption and based on a movie? Auwe

Comment

If you believe racism is a thing of the past you're a racist. The playing field is far from level yet. My question is are you racist if you mistreat a group that you suspect is in fact better than yours?
                  “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                  http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Originally posted by LocoBoy View Post
                    Just the thread title threw me for a loop, quite an assumption and based on a movie? Auwe
                    Actually, it was a really good, thought provoking movie, I thought. It wasn't a simple announcement that everyone's racist in some way but it did challenge (at least some) people's understanding of how they view other people and race relations.

Comment

Originally posted by Adri View Post
                      Actually, it was a really good, thought provoking movie, I thought. It wasn't a simple announcement that everyone's racist in some way but it did challenge (at least some) people's understanding of how they view other people and race relations.
                      I agree. I enjoyed this movie and can watch it over and over again.

I can kind of see where the OP was going with this discussion, but saying that we ALL are a little racist is a blanket statement I just can't agree with.

Comment

How many of you(locals)can honestly say you NEVER used a racial slur against a caucasian? Not many,I can guess, but that doesn't mean you are racist...does it?

Flickr

Comment

How many of you(locals)can honestly say you NEVER used a racial slur against a caucasian? Not many,I can guess, but that doesn't mean you are racist...does it?
                          I think it would depend on the context in which it was used, but I'd be hesitant to slap the "racist" label.

Comment

How many of you (locals) can honestly say you NEVER used a racial slur against a caucasian? Not many,I can guess, but that doesn't mean you are racist...does it?
                            Nope, it doesn't mean it at all. Using a racial slur can mean you're bigoted, prejudiced, ignorant, idiotic, etc. Unless you've denied someone the right to access anything and justified your actions based on the other person's race, that's not racism.

And why target locals about using a racial slur against Caucasians? Hate comes from and goes against many colors, regardless of geography. Overgeneralizing will cause abrasive responses.
                            Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

discussions on racism is a luxury when one isn't facing the demise of her people's culture, language, and yes, race. Accusation of racism is an intellectual farce and an emotional cruelty when aimed at those facing such a crisis, especially when the offense is born by those who don't have to worry about their own culture/language being preserved somewhere on the planet, and said offender has the freedom to participate in such preservation or not.

To get real, Irish Americans don't really have to panic because their tribe isn't 3,000 strong. So those Irish Americans get to be as Irish as they wanna be; wear an aran sweater, tatoo that surname's crest on a deltoid, or just drink green beer on St Paddy's. Their sleep at night is a little easier because they know that there's a mulitude taking care of it all back in the Emerald Isles.

To be extreme, look at what the Janjaweed are doing in the Sudan, and the policies of "cultural/racial blindness" in Sri Lanka (and all the genocide happening in those places).

All in all, may these conversations spur on real change; like championing for human rights in Darfur, for starters...

pax

Comment

Working...
                              X