Junk Yards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Junk Yards

First off, I'm auto illiterate and new to the forum. So go easy.

My '94 Mazda pickup's engine siezed last week. I had a friend who's been a mechanic for 30+ years take a look and he concluded a lack of oil was the culprit. Funny, because I had the oil changed about six months ago. But the place where I had it done (76 station on King St. in Moiliili) previously gave my wife old brake pads and a used timing belt when we, of course, paid for new ones. They made ammends, but they are beyond shady and should only be recommended to sworn enemies.

I was planning on selling the truck this week anyway. Now I guess I'm selling it for a whole lot less if I'm selling it at all. I'm not getting it fixed, though. I was going to sell it for $2,200 and I doubt I could get it fixed for much less than that. Ideally, I want to sell this to a budding mechanic, but I have some questions for all you grease monkeys before I do.

Is there a market for buying fixer uppers?
    If so, how do I access it? I'm thinking craigslist?
    What kind of price can I expect?
    How much does that kind of engine (a six cylinder, common in mazda and ford pickups) normally cost?
    What junkyards have those kind of parts?
    Any specific recommendations?

Mahalo to all,
    Quyp

Re: Junk Yards

Originally posted by Quyp View Post
    First off, I'm auto illiterate and new to the forum. So go easy.

My '94 Mazda pickup's engine siezed last week. I had a friend who's been a mechanic for 30+ years take a look and he concluded a lack of oil was the culprit. Funny, because I had the oil changed about six months ago. But the place where I had it done (76 station on King St. in Moiliili) previously gave my wife old brake pads and a used timing belt when we, of course, paid for new ones. They made ammends, but they are beyond shady and should only be recommended to sworn enemies.

I was planning on selling the truck this week anyway. Now I guess I'm selling it for a whole lot less if I'm selling it at all. I'm not getting it fixed, though. I was going to sell it for $2,200 and I doubt I could get it fixed for much less than that. Ideally, I want to sell this to a budding mechanic, but I have some questions for all you grease monkeys before I do.

Is there a market for buying fixer uppers?
    If so, how do I access it? I'm thinking craigslist?
    What kind of price can I expect?
    How much does that kind of engine (a six cylinder, common in mazda and ford pickups) normally cost?
    What junkyards have those kind of parts?
    Any specific recommendations?

Mahalo to all,
    Quyp
    Hi, you may have changed the oil six months ago but how often did you change oil on this vehicle? If it's far and few in between, it would have shortened the lifespan of the engine.

As for a market, that's hard to say but usually, vehicles in high demand will have a market for fixer uppers. Do you know what items need to be fixed? If it's not something dramatic, you may find some budding mechanic needing a cheap truck.

Craigslist is a good start, it's a free service so it can't hurt.

Try kbb.com to get a rough pricing of your vehicle. That should be a start.

I don't know bout the cost of an engine for a Mazda/Ford pickup, maybe someone else online here will have more info regarding that. Same with junkyards.

Comment

Working...
    X