Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which candidates do the most for local people, especially the Hawaiians?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which candidates do the most for local people, especially the Hawaiians?

I'm still at odds over who to vote for in the upcoming elections, and was wondering if anyone knows which candidates seem to support the lower- to middle-class local people, and especially the Hawaiians. It's funny to me how Linda Lingle is always bragging about what she did for Hawaii's economy. I dunno about everyone else, but rent is outrageous, everything is so expensive (gas, houses, etc.), working 2 jobs is a must for almost every local family, and throw in the homeless problem ... I'm not voting for Lingle, that's for sure. I wish there was a native Hawaiian candidate for governor who was more balanced.

Re: Which candidates do the most for local people, especially the Hawaiians?

Originally posted by Kahalu'u Kid View Post
    I wish there was a native Hawaiian candidate for governor who was more balanced.
    If I could name one public figure who has done the most for local people in the least amount of time, and as you inquire, particularly for native Hawaiians, the answer would be Micah Kane. In fact, he was one of only three candidates (the others being Charles Djou and Quentin Kawananakoa) who political analysts speculated would be appointed to replace Jerry Coffee on the Republican ticket for U.S. Congress.

Unfortunately, IMHO, the party concluded they could not field a legit candidate in time to beat Sen. Akaka, so instead, they chose Cynthia Thielen, who mimics many of Akaka’s positions on the issues, and has nothing to lose by running, since she gets to keep her seat in the legislature either way. They’re looking at it as a test case to guage public opinion on Republican electability in the near future.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

Comment

Re: Which candidates do the most for local people, especially the Hawaiians?

Their is a high cost of bureaucracy in Hawaii, which has been slowly built over the course of many years, and much legislation. Duplicate coverage of so many of our public services is just pure waste in an Island State....road building, planning/zoning.... "island" level legislation specific to each island would present better possibilities for good decision making.

These 6 major inhabited islands of Hawaii are each so darned different from each other, that it's ludicrous to think a "STATEWIDE" policy would have any basis in reality from island to island. Let alone Niihau or Kahoolawe, which each present unique situations unto themselves. Criminy, here on Big Island, the difference just between South Kona/Kau and Hilo/Hamakua is so extreme. A good decision here might be a bad solution over there, and vise versa. Top down decision making rarely identifies true solutions.

I want a candidate who strives to eliminate duplicate government, dubious spending practice, or cronyism rooted in kala. Give me a small dose of belligerance, and a whiskey sour, tempered with some grandchildren that they love, so that they always think to the future, not the past. Above all, give me a candidate who places logic & reason above belief, opinion, or social momentum.
      FutureNewsNetwork.com
      Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Working...
      X