How many pure Hawaiians left?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many pure Hawaiians left?

In everyone's ohana and including circle of friends, how many people know 100% pure Hawaiians? I know my good friend's dad was pure Hawaiian, but I think that's the only person I know. Melting pot and poi dogs are all good, but are pure Hawaiians dying out? I hope not! Aloha.

Re: How many pure Hawaiians left?

You're kidding or serious? Pure hawaiians are very rare. Some of my best friends' kids were playing with mine, and one kid bragged he was pure hawaiian and his sister said "No we're not!! what do you think great grandpa was?!! HAOLE!" and his whole family laughed at him, and I thought and then asked, and they started naming people they know and couldn't think of anyone that is really a hundred percent.

Oh heck, I guess some exist somewhere, but I betcha they're pretty dang rare. Course like one of my friends said that some will claim it but it usually ain't so, and that's from....hawaiians.

I can't see that it matters. I am native American, not a hundred percent by far, but my relatives say hush that talk if you even talk about how much or how little any of us are. If you are, you are, and I would think that's how the Hawaiians feel, too.
    Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

I know one for certain, and he is the business partner of our halau/husband to our Kumu/`ukulele player in the band/tv show producer.

I suspect a couple of the others I know in the area are as well, I've never asked - and these are all people off-Island.

Comment

What about Henry Kapono Ka`aihue and the late Moe Keale? Just curious.

ETA: Just found this regarding Kapono.

Hana hou...regarding Moe!
        Last edited by tutusue; November 3, 2006, 08:45 AM.

Comment

The Keaulana family is pure Hawaiian, no? If yes, then me familia knows some.

Also my father was good friends with a couple, not sure if their progeny's blood (or grandchildren's) is still pure though.
          Last edited by Whitepoint3rchum; November 3, 2006, 11:44 AM.
          "Hey fool, we gots yo leada!"
          "But I can't even read good."
          "Whatever that means, you ____ peasant."
          "That (stuff) is the MOST BALLER THING EVAAA!!!!"

Comment

Today, there are less than 8,000 pure Hawaiians alive.
            What can be said about the native Hawaiian population of today is that it is growing at a rate of about 6000 people per year, and at a higher rate than any other ethnic group in Hawaii. The majority of the native Hawaiian people, however, have less than 50% pure Hawaiian blood.
            http://gohawaii.about.com/cs/culture...ian_people.htm

I'm not sure how accurate this is... however, I had to look up something.

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123 View Post
              Today, there are less than 8,000 pure Hawaiians alive.
              This is the largest estimate I’ve seen. Maybe more of them participated in a recent census effort, but I doubt it. The majority of pure-blooded native Hawaiians are all on Ni‘ihau, to my knowledge. The guy who wrote the about.com article is a travel writer. Don’t you need special permission to travel to Ni‘ihau?

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
              USA TODAY, page 2A
              11 March 1993

Comment

And that's why I said "I'm not sure how accurate...."

Comment

According to the 2000 census, there were 160 people living on Niihau, which probably comprises the largest center of pure kanaka maoli population. I'm sure there are others who are living outside of Niihau, though.

Miulang
                  "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Karen View Post
                    You're kidding or serious?
                    Originally posted by Karen View Post

I'm dead serious, why would I be kidding?

Oh heck, I guess some exist somewhere, but I betcha they're pretty dang rare. Course like one of my friends said that some will claim it but it usually ain't so, and that's from....hawaiians. ...
                    I can't see that it matters. I am native American, not a hundred percent by far, but my relatives say hush that talk if you even talk about how much or how little any of us are. If you are, you are, and I would think that's how the Hawaiians feel, too.

I agree with you in that if you're lucky enough to have Hawaiian blood, then it doesn't matter if you're quarter, full or whatever. But let me pose this question to you: What if the native Hawaiian nene goose were cros-bred with other geese to the point that the pure nene became nearly extinct? (Like it is now.) Or what if Hawaiian taro were cross-bred with other strains so that there was no more pure Hawaiian taro? Of course by now you must also know of the problems invasive species have caused on our "pure" Hawaiian ecosystems. I respect your opinion, but for me, its very, very important to protect and preserve the pure Hawaiian bloodline whether it be people, animals, food, plants, whatever. Aloha.

Comment

I can count over 40 of my own relatives still living who are fullblooded Hawaiian. But I am uncomfortable mentioning their names and where they live, because we are talking about people. That's their business to blab this on the internet.

pax

Comment

Howdy, Kahalu'u Kid,

I can't agree or disagree cuz I respect your opinion about this. I don't share it in that I don't care that I am not full blood cherokee or that there are few left. (editing this in here...I am one eighth Cherokee, mom was one fourth, and it
                        s fine with me) I only care about the "spirit" of what they handed down to us, the good part meaning NO RACE is perfect or even near it, we're all human, etc.

I respect your wish that some PURE native Hawaiians were to still exist while I see that what really matters is...do any of the few truly pure native Hawaiians agree with you and care for this concern, too? Apparently few of us on earth care if our race continues as pure as it is, or totally pure. I can't help but be glad about this because it isn't the literal blood of any race that makes it great. It is the spirit/mind/heart/person within that body.

I see so many races mixed here that even when the news says a suspect is
                        "local" in the description, we don't have a clue what race that is, but know it's probably a mixture of races, but just is a tanned person that ain't haole, LOL.

So....I see what people are doing and have done, and our actions speak the loudest and most people have married and are marrying the person within, not by race. I see this as good, cuz it means, in simple terms that most of us marry the person we think is best, race be damned. no wonder we've still got more good people than bad in this world and this state, if I may speak elementarily which by the way, works best for me. *(grin)
                        Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Concern for the Condor in California reached such a frenzy that the last few Condors were captured into a forced breeding program, that has been wildly successful, resulting in over 20 breeding pairs in the wild today. In fact, that number is likely higher, since this was several years ago when they were trumpeting their success.

Any horse trainer will tell you that too much focus breeding is bad for the bloodlines. Most dog owners know that purebred strains become weak after too many generations of in-breeding.

I know this Hawaiian man who married a girl from Switzerland. They are so in love. And their keiki are beautiful.
                          FutureNewsNetwork.com
                          Energy answers are already here.

Comment

I honestly believe the concept of a Pure Hawaiian will be lost eventually...
                            I don't want it to be considered a sad thing... I think it should be looked upon as a natural process of things that happen in life.

It is sad, however, it can't be helped... except for "possibly" on Ni'ihau... however, as I've learned... most of the young kid's on Ni'ihau are now getting Public Education that is now in English... and many will move on to the mainland.

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
                              I can count over 40 of my own relatives still living who are fullblooded Hawaiian. But I am uncomfortable mentioning their names and where they live, because we are talking about people. That's their business to blab this on the internet.
                              I understand what your saying
                              I bow out of this thread now!

Comment

Working...
                              X