Looking for Japanese DVDs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Japanese DVDs

I'm looking for region 2 (JP) versions of American films. I found a few used ones at Books Off in Shirokiya, but that's about it. I saw that Japan Video on Kuhio has some for rent, but I don't know if they sell them or not.

Anyone have any other suggestions for places to check out?

brianca

Re: Looking for Japanese DVDs

I saw some in Jelly's in pearl city, but that was almost 3 years ago. still worth a try.
    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Right on. I was planning on hitting that one as well. I came across it when the dog was in quarantine. I'll hit it this week. Someone also suggested Morning Glory on University. Do you know it?

Comment

Originally posted by brianca View Post
        Right on. I was planning on hitting that one as well. I came across it when the dog was in quarantine. I'll hit it this week. Someone also suggested Morning Glory on University. Do you know it?
        I didn't know they sold DVDs there. Morning Glory specializes in stationery and toys, just like Sanrio.
        Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

you may be right. The guy wasn't real sure about it, but he thought they had import video games. Maybe he was thinking of somewhere else.

Comment

i know there's a small japanese rental place on ??? street near ala moana. imagine driving on pensecola heading for the ocean; at the light (after going through kapiolani), you'll see naoru towers or some expensive condo in front of you; make a left turn as though you're planning to drive right onto the ramp that goes into ala moana.

on your left on that street before you hit piikoi, there's a japanese rental place. you could stop by and see if they sell dvds.

what about the place on the corner by don quijote?
            525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Originally posted by shaveice View Post
              what about the place on the corner by don quijote?
              You're talking about the one on the mauka ewa corner of the Don Quijote block? I was thinking about that one. Worth checking out.

Comment

The one by don quijote is nippon video. I checked it out the other day. They mostly just have bootleg VHS tapes. They had a few dvds in the rental area, but that was about it.

I'll look for the one near ala moana tomorrow. I'm heading down there anyway.

Comment

i would try yesasia.com.
                  Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbent View Post
                    i would try yesasia.com.
                    Best place to go, IMO. I've bought from them before, and I've had nothing but great service.

I *think* you can buy from amazon.com's Japanese website. http://www.amazon.co.jp/ . I'm not 100% sure, though.

Comment

Sure. I've used both yesasia and amazon.co.jp. I was hoping to find something local and that sells used would be even better.

Comment

Hakubundo in the PanAm Building on Kapiolani. I used to frequent that place when I took Dr. Ogawa's Japanese TV & Film class at UH.
                        Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                        We're not here to mess around
                        Boston, you know we love you madly
                        Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                        Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                        You know we couldn't live without you
                        Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Quick update. The one by ala moana is Aloha Video, and they carry region 2s for rent but no sales. Same thing with Japan Video across the street from Walmart. Hakubundo is closed on sundays, so I'll find out more about it tomorrow.

Comment

no luck at hakubundo either. What do you guys think about aloha swap meet?

Comment

Originally posted by brianca View Post
                              no luck at hakubundo either. What do you guys think about aloha swap meet?
                              Dunno, but I'd say that I doubt it. For starters, Japanese DVDs probably won't appeal to tourists from the mainland...and Japanese tourists probably won't buy stuff they could easily get for cheap back home.
                              Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                              We're not here to mess around
                              Boston, you know we love you madly
                              Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                              Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                              You know we couldn't live without you
                              Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Working...
                              X