let's debate encyclopedias

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• let's debate encyclopedias

I want to 'correct' my spelling of the plural form as encyclopediae, but openmearse it ain't.

So what you guys. In this day and age are these tomes too archaic? Do they serve a purpose if we have school-aged children? Does anyone recall actually ~learning something~ because of that old set on the library shelf? What purpose do they serve in this Y2K age?

I debate this in my head all of the time.

When is the last time you pulled out a book from an encyclopedia set and used it? If you had the shelf space and the dough, would you consider it a worthwhile purchase? Where is your tipping point with these in justifying its expense? Do tell.

pax

Re: let's debate encyclopedias

For a young child... say maybe between the ages 4-8... I think a good Children's Encyclopedia is good for them.

I don't want them looking up "nuts" on the computer and coming across "balls"

"If you want to get into Who's Who, you'd better first learn what's what"
    Last edited by damontucker; November 6, 2006, 04:07 PM.

Comment

Oh my. I had a set on loan from a family friend, and I read it all the time. I still love the books much more than anything online or on a disc. If I had the money, I'd find the space for them if I had any kids, and we'd use that thing frequently. I'm something of a dictionary geek, and I consult (even just browse) that regulary; I'd like to teach my future kids to love books the same way. There's nothing like an encyclopedia.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Manoa, nuts ≠ balls is a very good example.

please review that which got me thinking about encyclopedias.

I have heard it before that the "1911 Encyclopaedia Britannica" set is considered the standard by which all other sets are measured, and that all collectively suck in comparision. I know that there is a website which hosts all of its contents. Some say that there is no finer way to learn about pre-20th century western history than to get it out of this set.

I am conflicted. I don't need this set. There are cheaper ways of getting the same information (e.g. the free website, and the web in general). But I am experiencing this primal, visceral, book-envy for these books and I am sucking my thumb, mulling it over.

What would make you get a set? Would you buy it fresh-off-the-press, or get an old set? Which brand? Did anyone grow up with them in the house?

questions, questions...

pax

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
          Oh my...I'm something of a dictionary geek, and I consult (even just browse) that regulary...
          I do that, too. I have several dictionaries, but my favorite is the unabridged version I got 10ish years ago. I could spend all day cruising-n-perusing the dictionary.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
            Manoa, nuts ≠ balls is a very good example.

please review that which got me thinking about encyclopedias.

I have heard it before that the "1911 Encyclopaedia Britannica" set is considered the standard by which all other sets are measured, and that all collectively suck in comparision. I know that there is a website which hosts all of its contents. Some say that there is no finer way to learn about pre-20th century western history than to get it out of this set.

I am conflicted. I don't need this set. There are cheaper ways of getting the same information (e.g. the free website, and the web in general). But I am experiencing this primal, visceral, book-envy for these books and I am sucking my thumb, mulling it over.
            Being that I don't know much about EBAY... I did notice that he is a "Power-Seller" which typically means a re-seller of things other people didn't want in a bigger version... but like I said... I don't know much about Ebay... also I noticed that he appeared to have some sort of a book store also... which makes me think why can't he just sell them there...

What would make you get a set? Would you buy it fresh-off-the-press, or get an old set? Which brand? Did anyone grow up with them in the house?

questions, questions...
            Curiosity and if I had space and money, then yes...other than that... I wouldn't. I got a free set of Encyclopedias every year from my grandparents while I was growing up as they got a new set each year to keep up with "Medical Stuff"... which makes me laugh that Doctors would actually do Research in the 60's using Encyclopedia's.... however, that's a whole new thread that could be started. So yes... I grew up with them in my house until about 10 years ago.

And yes, I did use them all the time during High School, however, now I wouldn't want or buy a set. (It seems like they give you a free disk with some sort of encarta encyclopedia each time I buy a new computer and even that disk goes to waist....)

There is so much out there to find on the web... and if you do come across a site that is secured and you need that information.... well take the money that you would have paid for the encyclopedia's and put it to that fee.

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123 View Post
              For a young child... say maybe between the ages 4-8... I think a good Children's Encyclopedia is good for them.

I don't want them looking up "nuts" on the computer and coming across "balls"

"If you want to get into Who's Who, you'd better first learn what's what"

We Agree!! I learned a lot from encyopedias growing up. We had three sets, one was the Groiler's, World Book, and a science encyclopedia that I can't remember who was the publisher.

One thing about books is that when the power goes off (as it does a lot I see on Oahu) or the internet connection fails, you still have a verified hard copy of copyrighted material at your disposal. On the Internet you don't know what's true and what's not anymore.

Plus I think we need to keep up the practice of looking up material by means of a hard copy reference. It's too easy to find thing off the internet these days. Pretty soon reading from a book is going to disappear completely and when technology fails...oh well...who still remembers how to find the square root of any number with a pencil and paper?
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

The thing that I think is even more important... Especially for kids in Hawaii...

Is a good solid Atlas.

I couldn't believe when I was showing my wife when we were going to Vegas from California that we could actually go to Mexico and it would be much closer... and she was like for real?

I know so many people who have never even left Hawaii before!

So to me... a good Atlas is a great gift for kids about 6-10.
                (sorry for the thread drift)

Comment

Actually "encyclopedia" is the plural; the singular, which no one ever uses, is "encyclopedium". I grew up with a set of World Book encyclopedia in the house. I have the 1993 Brittanica on my shelf today, along with several dictionaries, thesauri, and other references. They're great. That 1911 EB is mighty tempting.

Comment

Thank. You. Glen.

I've stuff to think about...

Is there anyone out there with a contrarian pov? So far it has been a pro-encyclopedia crowd.

pax

Comment

When I was a kid my parents bought a set of World Book Encyclopedia and the "Childcraft" books. I love the World Book and spent many hours just reading all of the different articles in it. Got a very good general knowledge of all kinds of trivial stuff... was kind of my WWW back in the days before anyone had a computer at home... The funny thing was reading about computers and the state of the art were these giant machines that filled an entire room and stored stuff on punch cards and tape.

Does World Book still publish in book form today? If I had kids I'd get them a set.
                      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro View Post
                        Actually "encyclopedia" is the plural; the singular, which no one ever uses, is "encyclopedium".
                        If you want to know whether this is actually true, you could look it up in an encyclopedia (which is what I just did).
                        Greg

Comment

The book form has been replaced by computer discs, but I grew up with WORLD BOOK (my mother was a sales rep for them), Grolier's BOOK OF KNOWLEDGE, BRITTANICA, COMPTON'S, and a few others.

I bought a WORLD BOOK set during the mid-1980s for my oldest daughter's use.

I have other sets of books, including the ANNALS OF AMERICA, which contain numerous primary-source materials. American History was my college major.

Comment

I went and bought the old set of Children's encyclopedia's in Goodwill for my kids...the Golden Book series...then I bought a new set! They use both but the old set is fun for reference to other versions of today's words.

I think it is good they see Gay in 2 books! j/k

Don't kick me!
                            Seriously I am glad I have 2 sets.
                            But that is just the kids sets. We have a Brittanica set for us, but I use the computer so I stored them.

We have countless Atlas' I buy them whenever I see them no matter how old or new.
                            Since when is psycho a bad thing??
                            Sharing withother survivors...
                            www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

We had the World Book encyclopedia at our house in the 1960's. With about 3 years worth of Year Books, plus a mechincal device for quizes that you place a paper wheel that had questions on a certain subject.

Comment

Working...
                              X