Driver's license woes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driver's license woes?

A few weeks ago KITV did a story about the awful wait required for road tests on Maui, and there was a brief mention of Oahu's situation. I'm wondering if anyone's gone through the renewal process recently in Honolulu, and if so, what's it like these days?

I'm within a few months of having to renew, and I'm curious. Should I go stand in line tomorrow for a date in November, or what?
    http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Re: Driver's license woes?

I renewed my license close to a year ago but nowadays the only test they give is the eye exam. Unless of course your license has really expired and you need to do the written and road test.

I did mines at the Fort Street Mall Annex, took less than a hour, but that location does not do the road test.

Comment

For a renewal, since no road test is required, it's just a matter of standing in line. I did mine at Fort Street Mall at a strange time like 10 in the morning and was in and out in a half hour. The big problem is doing the road test - which is the source of the problems. On Maui for example many don't know that there are other places aside from the Central location to do a road test. I know people who lived upcountry and took the road test in Makawao (although last time I checked that bureau was closed) - and the best part was that there was (at least for that driver) no parallel parking involved.

Comment

One of the tv stations just did a story on this problem. There aren't enough road test examiners and one guy interviewed even came out of retirement just to help out. They are in the process of hiring more road testers. During the summer more young people are trying to get their drivers license so this makes for more folks in line. It does seem to be getting worse, but like one of the guys they interviewed said...what can you do!
        Retired Senior Member

Comment

Whatever you do please get that license renewed on time...

Okay here's the joke...look at your license card. It has your DOB (date of birth) and right next to it your expiration date! The City and County of Honolulu tells you right on your license card when you will die.

You think I'm lying? Well only if you believe the weight you put on your license. Heck this is government information. False information on that license is against the law. So to keep from dying, better renew your license for another five years of life. Good thing I renewed mine.
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

As far as I understand only after a year your drivers license really expires.
            Thus you would have to do the road test and written exam again.
            Also FYI you can only renew your license 6 months and up from your birthday.

http://www.hawaiipolice.com/topPages...g.html#renewal
            Check out my blog on Kona issues :
            The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron S
              As far as I understand only after a year your drivers license really expires.
              Thus you would have to do the road test and written exam again.
              Also FYI you can only renew your license 6 months and up from your birthday.

http://www.hawaiipolice.com/topPages...g.html#renewal
              From that page:

You will have 90 days after the expiration date to renew your license without a penalty.
              After 90 days and up to one year, you will be assessed a fee of $5 for every 30 days since the expiration date.
              After one year, you will be considered a new applicant. You must take the written and driving tests over again.
              Only $5 a month? Cheapest fine I've seen in the 25 years I've lived here!

Comment

Well, I remembered to renew before the expiration date next week. I shoulda polished my glasses first, though; I ended up with an additional restriction. I gotta drive cars with right side mirrors, because I couldn't quite read the far-right column (of three columns). Not such a big deal, except that I went to the ophthalmologist a couple of months ago and he told me the current five-year-old prescription was still good.

I remember when the license fee was about $6. Now it's $18!!

Comment

With today's cars most come with right side mirrors anyway. But yeah before I go get my license renewed, I always get my eye prescription updated and if necessary new glasses with enough time for my eyes to adjust to the different lenses then I go in for my renewal.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                    With today's cars most come with right side mirrors anyway. But yeah before I go get my license renewed, I always get my eye prescription updated and if necessary new glasses with enough time for my eyes to adjust to the different lenses then I go in for my renewal.
                    Yeah, that's why I say it's no big deal. But the eye thing was a little disturbing. The tests indicated that I didn't need to get new glasses. In fact, the doc's words were something on the order of "well, if you want to spend $300 or so for new ones, fine, but no need."

Comment

I didn't know this until recently but the company I used to work for had a few CDL truck drivers. If you possess a CDL license and wear contacts, you have to have a second pair with you while drive a truck rated over 10,000GVW.

As for me I'm so blind without my glasses 20/300 left 20/400 right that I have a restriction "A" on my drivers license.

Comment

I used to live in Arizona and I dont think they do this anymore but in 1994 when I was renewing my license, they gave people who were willing to buy one, a 50-year license. So my license wont expire for another 40 years.
                        State law in Hawaii states that you can keep your current mainland license until it expires, so I dont have to renew for a very long time unless I lose it that is.

KalihiBoy

Comment

Working...
                        X