Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Norway Best Nation to Live in?

http://articles.news.aol.com/news/_a...00010000000001

US ranks after Canada AND Japan? Only number 8.
    Since when is psycho a bad thing??
    Sharing withother survivors...
    www.supportandsurvive.org

Re: Norway Best Nation to Live in?

That we are ranked lower than Canada or Japan is hardly surprising, IMHO. Most of the reasons cited for the rating are hardly breaking news. But I am a little shocked we are ranked 8th. And after Australia?! To quote Jack’s father in the hit-series ‘Lost,’ “there’s a reason they call it down under.”
    Last edited by TuNnL; November 10, 2006, 12:43 AM. Reason: added another link

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

Comment

I am just suprised with all the room we have to move around here. Some countries are so cramped, but I guess that is not really a factor.

Comment

Is Norway the best nation to live in?

NOrWAY. If Hawaii were to become a nation again, that's where I want to live.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Interesting hypothetical, craig. I actually had Hawai‘i in mind when I thought of what could have been an example for nationwide change. The fact is Americans spend the most on healthcare, yet we are one of the least healthiest countries. We are one of the most polluting nations. Our inner cities are crumbling. We expend an incredible amount of resources on military endeavors. And our president is a bumbling idiot.

We all know what makes our nation great, and it’s not “a bunch of space,” though it does make for some great hiking/camping/fishing expeditions. But what are we #1 at besides being the world’s policeman? We’re not talking sports here, this is about quality of life.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

USA TODAY, page 2A
          11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
            We all know what makes our nation great, and it’s not “a bunch of space,” though it does make for some great hiking/camping/fishing expeditions. But what are we #1 at besides being the world’s policeman? We’re not talking sports here, this is about quality of life.
            that's why......it's not a factor in the deciding...

Comment

the best nation to live in ..... is the hawaiian nation with dennis bumpy kanahele ..

even those theres alot of mosquitos and no air con ... its still awesome ha!
              Ebb And Flow

Comment

Originally posted by blueyecicle View Post
                that's why......it's not a factor in the deciding...
                Still trying to figure out what you mean by “it’s.” The fact that we have the best military is not a factor? I agree. We pioneered democracy, but there are now better ones. Yes we still have an ever-so-slight technology edge, but our people are really the only thing that sets America apart. We have the most diverse population that can intermingle in a republic committed to high ideals. Japan is better at manufacturing, and manage their energy more efficiently. Norway takes better care of it’s people. I guess my point is, we should put our arrogance aside, and try and learn from these other highly ranked countries (except Australia, which is basically a barren wasteland with occasional good surf).

The Hawaiian Nation could be great one day, but let’s live in the here and now.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                11 March 1993

Comment

Bunch of space....the bunch of space is not a deciding factor. And not ALL Americans are arrogant. Only some.

Comment

I was reading this very topic on another board and someone posted this article. It's always interesting to get other perspectives on a matter:

April 17, 2005
                    PERSPECTIVE
                    We're Rich, You're Not. End of Story.
                    By BRUCE BAWER

OSLO . THE received wisdom about economic life in the Nordic countries is
                    easily summed up: people here are incomparably affluent, with all their
                    needs met by an efficient welfare state. They believe it themselves. Yet
                    the reality - as this Oslo-dwelling American can attest, and as some
                    recent studies confirm - is not quite what it appears.

Even as the Scandinavian establishment peddles this dubious line, it
                    serves up a picture of the United States as a nation divided, inequitably,
                    among robber barons and wage slaves, not to mention armies of the homeless
                    and unemployed. It does this to keep people believing that their social
                    welfare system, financed by lofty income taxes, provides far more in the
                    way of economic protections and amenities than the American system.
                    Protections, yes -but some Norwegians might question the part about
                    amenities.

In Oslo, library collections are woefully outdated, and public swimming
                    pools are in desperate need of maintenance. News reports describe serious
                    shortages of police officers and school supplies. When my mother-in-law
                    went to an emergency room recently, the hospital was out of cough
                    medicine. Drug addicts crowd downtown Oslo streets, as The Los Angeles
                    Times recently reported, but applicants for methadone programs are put on
                    a months-long waiting list.

In Norway, the standard line is that there must be some mistake, that such
                    things simply should not happen in "the world's richest country." Why do
                    Norwegians have such a wealthy self-image? Partly because, compared with
                    their grandparents (who lived before the discovery of North Sea oil), they
                    are rich. Few, however, question whether it really is the world's richest
                    country.

After I moved here six years ago, I quickly noticed that Norwegians live
                    more frugally than Americans do. They hang on to old appliances and
                    furniture that we would throw out. And they drive around in wrecks. In
                    2003, when my partner and I took his teenage brother to New York - his
                    first trip outside of Europe - he stared boggle-eyed at the cars in the
                    Newark Airport parking lot, as mesmerized as Robin Williams in a New York
                    grocery store in "Moscow on the Hudson."

One image in particular sticks in my mind. In a Norwegian language class,
                    my teacher illustrated the meaning of the word matpakke - "packed lunch" -
                    by reaching into her backpack and pulling out a hero sandwich wrapped in
                    wax paper. It was her lunch. She held it up for all to see.

Yes, teachers are underpaid everywhere. But in Norway the matpakke is
                    ubiquitous, from classroom to boardroom. In New York, an office worker
                    might pop out at lunchtime to a deli; in Paris, she might enjoy quiche and
                    a glass of wine at a brasserie. In Norway, she will sit at her desk with a
                    sandwich from home.

It is not simply a matter of tradition, or a preference for a basic,
                    nonmaterialistic life. Dining out is just too pricey in a country where
                    teachers, for example, make about $50,000 a year before taxes. Even the
                    humblest of meals - a large pizza delivered from Oslo's most popular pizza
                    joint - will run from $34 to $48, including delivery fee and a 25 percent
                    value added tax.

Not that groceries are cheap, either. Every weekend, armies of Norwegians
                    drive to Sweden to stock up at supermarkets that are a bargain only by
                    Norwegian standards. And this isn't a great solution, either, since
                    gasoline (in this oil-exporting nation) costs more than $6 a gallon.

All this was illuminated last year in a study by a Swedish research
                    organization, Timbro, which compared the gross domestic products of the 15
                    European Union members (before the 2004 expansion) with those of the 50
                    American states and the District of Columbia. (Norway, not being a member
                    of the union, was not included.)

After adjusting the figures for the different purchasing powers of the
                    dollar and euro, the only European country whose economic output per
                    person was greater than the United States average was the tiny tax haven
                    of Luxembourg, which ranked third, just behind Delaware and slightly ahead
                    of Connecticut.

The next European country on the list was Ireland, down at 41st place out
                    of 66; Sweden was 14th from the bottom (after Alabama), followed by
                    Oklahoma, and then Britain, France, Finland, Germany and Italy. The bottom
                    three spots on the list went to Spain, Portugal and Greece.

Alternatively, the study found, if the E.U. was treated as a single
                    American state, it would rank fifth from the bottom, topping only
                    Arkansas, Montana, West Virginia and Mississippi. In short, while
                    Scandinavians are constantly told how much better they have it than
                    Americans, Timbro's statistics suggest otherwise. So did a paper by a
                    Swedish economics writer, Johan Norberg.

Contrasting "the American dream" with "the European daydream," Mr. Norberg
                    described the difference: "Economic growth in the last 25 years has been 3
                    percent per annum in the U.S., compared to 2.2 percent in the E.U. That
                    means that the American economy has almost doubled, whereas the E.U.
                    economy has grown by slightly more than half. The purchasing power in the
                    U.S. is $36,100 per capita, and in the E.U. $26,000 - and the gap is
                    constantly widening."

The one detail in Timbro's study that didn't feel right to me was the
                    placement of Scandinavian countries near the top of the list and Spain
                    near the bottom. My own sense of things is that Spaniards live far better
                    than Scandinavians. In Norwegian pubs, for example, anyone rich or insane
                    enough to order, say, a gin and tonic is charged about $15 for a few
                    teaspoons of gin at the bottom of a glass of tonic; in Spain, the drinks
                    are dirt-cheap and the bartender will pour the gin up to the rim unless
                    you say "stop."

In late March, another study, this one from KPMG, the international
                    accounting and consulting firm, cast light on this paradox. It indicated
                    that when disposable income was adjusted for cost of living, Scandinavians
                    were the poorest people in Western Europe. Danes had the lowest adjusted
                    income, Norwegians the second lowest, Swedes the third. Spain and
                    Portugal, with two of Europe's least regulated economies, led the list.

Most recently, the Danish Ministry of Finance released a study comparing
                    the income available for private consumption in 30 countries. Norway did
                    somewhat better here than in the KPMG study, lagging behind most of
                    Western Europe but at least beating out Ireland and Portugal.

The thrust, however, was to confirm Timbro's and Mr. Norberg's picture of
                    American and European wealth. While the private-consumption figure for the
                    United States was $32,900 per person, the countries of Western Europe
                    (again excepting Luxembourg, at $29,450) ranged between $13,850 and
                    $23,500, with Norway at $18,350.

Meanwhile, the references to Norway as "the world's richest country" keep
                    on coming. An April 2 article in Dagsavisen, a major Oslo daily, asked:
                    How is it that "in the world's richest country we're tearing down social
                    services that were built up when Norway was much poorer?"

Obviously, this is one misconception that won't be put to rest by a measly
                    think-tank study or two.

Bruce Bawer,a freelance writer based in Oslo, reports frequently on social
                    and cultural issues.
                    n'importe

Comment

So one could go on to say that some of our welfare recipients who drive Escalades have greater disposable income than those in Norway?

Heck some of these on welfare have greater disposable income than me!
                      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                      X