Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• saltless shoyu

Anyone ever try this?

My husband thinks furikake is a green vegetable.

He needs to cut his sodium intake because he is on pressure pills. I know that I've read about this before, but am reluctant to try a bottle; the stuff is expensive! But if it will help...

pax

Re: saltless shoyu

I haven't tried it and, for your husband's sake, I hope it's good. But it just sounds so. wrong.

Comment

I accidentally bought a bottle of "low sodium" shoyu once. It tasted like watered down motor oil. Seriously, just like "Spam lite," what's the point?

Comment

When my mom first faced high blood pressure the first thing that went was salt.

After a while we all adjusted and ever since I've never felt compelled to add any salt to anything, even after going out to live on my own. There's enough in what we get off the shelves to begin with. In fact, there's way too much of it.

I suspect that if I were able to truly live on a low-sodium diet it would be something I wouldn't miss much.

We've grown up to expect high salt content in our food. Cutting back will bring us back to "normal" and we'll all start to appreciate the subtle flavors that have been there all along.

Comment

I will salt my meat in cooking, but eat my veggies plain (no dressing), so I get your point about appreciating the flavors without being hampered by salt. That said, my hubby puts shoyu on his rice, in his saimin, slathers on his eggs. I want to try this and maybe start out slow....what to marinade...

pax

Comment

I have been using low sodium shoyu for a good twenty years now and it didn't take too long to get used to it, about a few months. I haven't tried saltless shoyu so I don't know what that is like. Once you get used to this you will eventually use less salt in everything. I had an angioplasty done in 1997 and my neurologist said as long as you don't add salt to your food, however it is prepared is okay. So since then I don't add salt to my food when eating. This have definitely contributed to my lower BP and cholestrol reading...and of course exercise helps a lot too, oh yeah and I quit smoking at that time also.

Comment

I wonder what ingredients go into making that saltless shoyu? You need brine to start the fermentation process for shoyu, so if they don't use salt in the brine, what chemicals would they use? I use low sodium shoyu when I cook and generally don't add salt when cooking anyway. I know that tamari has less sodium in it than shoyu, but that contains sugar (so does Aloha Shoyu). Take a look at the ingredients of that saltless shoyu. Does it have sugar? MSG? Other preservatives (sodium benzoate?) or does it use potassium chloride in place of the sodium chloride?

Miulang
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I bit the bullet and bought a bottle!

Jiminicrispies that buggah is expensive! It is called: SHIRAKIKU MUEN SHOYU (Saltless Soy Sauce). Size:20.3 fl oz (600 ml). $13 for it.

Let's compare (1Tbsp):

Muen Shoyu
                Calories: 0
                Sodium: 10mg (0% daily value)
                ingredients: water, soybeans, wheat, alcohol to preserve freshness

Aloha Shoyu Lower Salt
                Sodium: 620mg (26% daily value)
                Ingredients: Water, wheat gluten, soybeans, salt, sugar, caramel coloring, sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate, a preservative.

now the hard part: figuring out how to cook with this stuff. My husband already said it tastes like bile....

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
                  I bit the bullet and bought a bottle!

Jiminicrispies that buggah is expensive! It is called: SHIRAKIKU MUEN SHOYU (Saltless Soy Sauce). Size:20.3 fl oz (600 ml). $13 for it.

Let's compare (1Tbsp):

Muen Shoyu
                  Sodium: 10mg (0% daily value)
                  ingredients: water, soybeans, wheat, alcohol to preserve freshness

Aloha Shoyu Lower Salt
                  Sodium: 620mg (26% daily value)
                  Ingredients: Water, wheat gluten, soybeans, salt, sugar, caramel coloring, sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate, a preservative.

now the hard part: figuring out how to cook with this stuff. My husband already said it tastes like bile....
                  Try cutting it with the "real" stuff gradually (i.e., start with a mixture of maybe 70% full on Aloha Shoyu and 30% salt free), then after a couple of weeks, try 50-50, then move to maybe 60-40 and see if that's not more palatable. Also, if that doesn't work, maybe hubby can compromise and not use shoyu on everything? (like maybe only put it in saimin but not on his rice, although saimin on its own tends to be pretty salty because of the dashi). Just by eliminating shoyu from some of the foods he normally pours it on is a lot less of a sacrifice than totally cutting it out or using something that has no taste, like this salt free stuff sounds. You could also try adding a pinch of sugar to the salt free shoyu...it might help with the "mouthfeel".

Miulang

P.S. Wanda Adams in the Advertiser did a review of the muen shoyu and the results were "blah". The column includes a homemade salt free substitute that sounds a whole lot more palatable. The secret to low sodium cooking is using a lot of spices.
                  Last edited by Miulang; November 11, 2006, 02:37 PM.
                  "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Saltless shoyu is like non-dairy cheese.

So. Wrong.

Comment

I actually like low sodium Aloha Shoyu and Spam lite but now I'm starting to feel like there is something wrong with me.
                      I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

For those of you who need to know what's in that Japanese food package, bookmark this page of handy Japanese nutritional terms.

Comment

I'm a Stroke Survior! I also get TIA's. I take Metoprolol for nine years without missing a dosage...along with my "odda" medications.

Saltless shoyu?

I enjoy food. I also know what is and not good for me. Anything in excess is no good.

You don't have to give up what you enjoy eating ~ just cut back on the amount.

Stroke is a Silent Killer. One never knows when it will strike.

National Stroke Web Site http://www.stroke.org/site/PageServer?pagename=HOME
                          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by LeiKaina View Post
                            I actually like low sodium Aloha Shoyu and Spam lite but now I'm starting to feel like there is something wrong with me.
                            I only buy the low sodium Aloha shoyu. There's a difference in taste, but I got over it in like a week. I make the same sauces/marinades I used to without any adjustment and I think they taste better. And we like Spam lite, too.

Comment

I think I would rather forego shoyu completely instead of getting a bad tasting saltless shoyu. Well maybe compromise on low-sodium shoyu first.

Comment

Working...
                              X