Eat It All or Pay Food Challenges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eat It All or Pay Food Challenges

There's a Sushi Challenge video showcased today on Yahoo! of a young man from New York who downed 52 Nigiri Sushi in 20 minutes. The video itself is kinda' lame but it brought to mind how few of these "Eat it All in XX minutes or You Pay" type of food challenges are offered in restaurants around Oahu (or Hawaii for that matter).

The most notable one I've seen on the Food Network was J&R's (also in New York) 76 oz. Steak Challenge: Consume (by one person only) an entire 76 oz. grilled steak within one hour and the meal is free. Don't finish and you pay $60.

Personally I'd never partake in anything like this, as I know I don't have the stomach space for it. Guaranteed I'd end up paying. Not to mention overeating like that would feel miserable. Still, there's folks out there who can really put it down. Like that really skinny Japanese guy who always wins Nathan's Hot Dog eating contest. And that other petite asian gal named Sonya Thomas. Amazing.

Anyone know any restaurants around town that offer such a challenge? Where and what's the deal?

"Eat 5 bowls of Ramen in 50 Minutes and it's FREE. Don't finish and you pay $55". Stuff like that. I'm sure there's all kinds out there. From fried chicken to pancakes to ice cream. Definately not for the faint of heart and stomach.
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Re: Eat It All or Pay Food Challenges

Question to ponder...

Does one consider "Food Eating Contests" an actual sporting event?

I'm truly amazed at the Japanese guy that can eat so much...
    But I'm actually even more amazed by the Spider Sonya Thomas!

She is literally smaller then me... yet she can put down probably more food than a Sumo Wrestler!

To answer your question Pomai...

I believe the "Curry House" in McCully Shopping Centers has an eat it all for free or pay for it curry bowl, though I'm not sure what it's called. They post pictures up of people who have actually completed the task. (Now is that something you should be proud of and had your picture taken and posted publicly? )

Comment

The Coco Ichibanya Curry House discontinued the challenge last year. The most amazing thing I ever heard of was Sam (the DJ and host of that show on Oceanic 16) finishing TWO of those huge curry plates in the allotted twenty minutes! Amazing.

Rose City Diner at Restaurant Row had something called The Logger that was like that. I believe it was a five-pound hamburger.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
        Rose City Diner at Restaurant Row had something called The Logger that was like that. I believe it was a five-pound hamburger.
        I just looked in my freezer to see what kind of hamburger packages I have...
        I have two of them about 1.5 lbs each... I can't imagine eating 3 plus of those in one sitting... PLUS the bread, lettuce, etc....

I thought Burger King was going overboard with that triple stacker.... but damn... an establishment that actually serves a 5 lb. burger scriv????

How you even get a bun that would hold that sucka!????

It must be like 5 - 1lb patties stacked on top or something!

I'm from Washington... have plenty loggers there.... and I don't know of one them that could eat a 5 lb. burger.

Comment

YUCKKKKK I mean yuck! It just grosses me out.

How can a person even think of doing that??!
          Since when is psycho a bad thing??
          Sharing withother survivors...
          www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

There was this Mexican joint in my hometown that gave you a t-shirt if you ate the 4 lb burrito. I did it. Just barely. But my boss I was working for at the time was this short Italian guy looked like Danny Devito.

He finished the burrito in under 15 minutes, looked up at the waitress and said "Where's the other half?"
            FutureNewsNetwork.com
            Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Ah, I miss the Curry House. Good ol' Sunday walks with the roomies from Johnson Hall and later, Hale Wainani. 500g of rice was the most I could handle.

Check out this bad boy:
              http://www.media-post.net/biggest_burger.php
              Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

I haven't been to Dixie Grill in a long time, but I remember they had their Bust Yo' Belly Burger -- 2 lbs. of meat, the bun, and I believe cole slaw. Eat the whole bugger and your meal was free.

I used to go to the Pearl Kai Curry House all the time, and I was there when this NINE YEAR OLD kid did the Challenge. For a skinny boy, he sure could eat! And he made good time too!
                Last edited by Lei Liko; November 13, 2006, 05:26 PM.
                Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                We're not here to mess around
                Boston, you know we love you madly
                Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                You know we couldn't live without you
                Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Back in the 'good ol' days'...50s and 60s...the Ranch House in Aina Haina had a humungous steak dinner that could be had for free if consumed within a certain amount of time. Many a surfer...a starving surfer...took the challenge. I remember my first dinner at the Ranch House in 1960...and thinking I was seated and dining in an historic place. I was!!!

I don't know how long that dinner special was offered but the Ranch House gave way to a Japanese restaurant that eventually went belly up during the late '80s, iirc.

Comment

Tutusue:
                    It would have been OK with me if your msg had ended as follows:

after a surfing session out at Numbah Threes, my boyfriend and I went over to the Ranch House and he ordered up that monstrous steak dinner--Rare. Nary a word was said through the entire meal. I demured and had a little shrimp cocktail, while he consumed his hunk o meat. It was an astonishing display. He was a cave man. He was a lion. He was a shark. He was a carnivore. It probably helped that we smoked a doobie before we went in. I had to drive back to Kapahulu where I dropped him off at home. He didn't even make it up the driveway before falling on his face. I went over to check on him and there he was: sated, snoring. Don't know if he dreamed about me, but that was the last date for us!
                    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Lavagal...that woulda been my dream story! At the time I was 16 and on vacation in Hawaii while my dad was shooting a Bel Aire cigarettes commercial. It was his idea to go to the Ranch House. I was thrilled! Kapahulu? I didn't even know where it was at the time. Whodathunk that in 1992 I'd rent office space in that area!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X