Interisland Moving company

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interisland Moving company

I'm curious if any of you have moved from one island to another. Who you used for the moving, and any other tips that could save me time and money. My Real Estate Agent called me the other day to tell me sellers have tentively excepted my offer!

So it looks like I'm packing the family up and moving to Puna shortly after New Year. Closing date is Jan.15th 2007. That date will arrive quicker than I think it will, and I need to be ready to avoid paying rent on old Kapahulu House,and a Mortgage on my brand new Puna home!!!!!

Since I have never did a huge move of this magnitude before I need all the suggestions you all have to offer me.

I need to know stuff like do I use 'Matson', or 'Young Bros', to ship my car, and do either of these companies act as a moving company too? Or do I ship my car with one of these companies, but ship all my stuff in my home with like 'Island Movers',or any other moving company? This is the kind of info I need. So please, if any of you akamai buggas have any ideas I'm all ears!

Re: Interisland Moving company

In order to help you best, please share with us a few more details.

How much "stuff" do you have? Are you moving a minimal amount of stuff, or a whole house full? And, how much work are you willing to do yourself (will you rent a container, hire a trucking company, and load/unload container?? or are you a "pay someone else to do that even if I could save a bundle if I do it myself" type-of-person?)

Maybe it would be easier to answer, "How much stuff do you want to move, and what is your budget?".

Comment

Congrats on the new house. Did you buy in HPP? For shipping a car inter-island, it's probably best to go with Young Brothers. If you pack your household goods in appropriate shipping containers and drop them off at the dock, Young Brothers can ship that stuff as well; however, depending on your budget, it's easier to go with a moving company.

Cheers,

Jonah K
      Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

Originally posted by Jonah K View Post
        Congrats on the new house. Did you buy in HPP? For shipping a car inter-island, it's probably best to go with Young Brothers. If you pack your household goods in appropriate shipping containers and drop them off at the dock, Young Brothers can ship that stuff as well; however, depending on your budget, it's easier to go with a moving company.

Cheers,

Jonah K
        I went to several web sites of local movers and filled out their quote forms. I can't remember if it was M Dryer & Son or which one but they quoted me over the phone a price of about $800.00 per thousand pounds. Did I hear the guy right, that seems a bit steep in price? I mean a thousand pounds adds up really fast too.

As for taking household items. Nothing wood is going. That means book cases, furniture,etc,etc.. Anything that has wood in it. Some of these places I've rented in the past 10 years have been "termite dens". So I don't wanna bring any temites with me to Puna(HPP). Besides, $800.00 per thousand pounds adds up rather fast when moving household belongings if you move everything.
        So my boys bunk bed I'll ship, front room couch too. (3) Apple Computers,(1) HP four-in-one,(3) TV's, (1) TV glass table stand,yard tools, surf industry tools. All our clothes for a family of four One Bike. One car, I decided to not ship any surfboards either. Books, I have a massive amount of books. I hate to think they are gonna be tossed out!?!?!

Anyway I'm moving the first week in Jan. 2007

Comment

Originally posted by Beachboy View Post
          I went to several web sites of local movers and filled out their quote forms. I can't remember if it was M Dryer & Son or which one but they quoted me over the phone a price of about $800.00 per thousand pounds. Did I hear the guy right, that seems a bit steep in price? I mean a thousand pounds adds up really fast too.

As for taking household items. Nothing wood is going. That means book cases, furniture,etc,etc.. Anything that has wood in it. Some of these places I've rented in the past 10 years have been "termite dens". So I don't wanna bring any temites with me to Puna(HPP). Besides, $800.00 per thousand pounds adds up rather fast when moving household belongings if you move everything.
          So my boys bunk bed I'll ship, front room couch too. (3) Apple Computers,(1) HP four-in-one,(3) TV's, (1) TV glass table stand,yard tools, surf industry tools. All our clothes for a family of four One Bike. One car, I decided to not ship any surfboards either. Books, I have a massive amount of books. I hate to think they are gonna be tossed out!?!?!

Anyway I'm moving the first week in Jan. 2007
          good luck bro and hope to see you when I'm able to retire in about 12 years!

Comment

[...]Books, I have a massive amount of books. I hate to think they are gonna be tossed out!?!?![...]
            Beachboy, don't toss those books. Check either USPS online or call the post office and inquire about shipping your books parcel post. I plugged in a hypothetical box, 20 lbs., 24"x18"x12", from Honolulu to Puna (zip 96778...not sure if that's right) and the cost was under $9.00. The same size box, but 30 lbs. was under $10.00. As long as you're not in a hurry for the books it's a good way to ship them.
            Last edited by tutusue; November 20, 2006, 07:24 PM. Reason: added url

Comment

Before you start discarding your possessions, check out Young Bros, including their GVan, etc.

http://www.htbyb.com/Ship_Goods/YB_E...le_for_Use.asp

I've found that it is usually cheaper to ship possessions, especially interisland, instead of selling things off cheap then having to pay retail to replace them later. The secret is in how much of the work you are willing to do yourself (packing, loading, hiring trucking company(s) to haul container if you ship that much, unloading). With a bit of homework and muscle, you really can move and bring your valued possessions.

Use Y.B.'s website, then give them a call for options on shipping.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthKona View Post
                Before you start discarding your possessions, check out Young Bros, including their GVan, etc.

http://www.htbyb.com/Ship_Goods/YB_E...le_for_Use.asp

I've found that it is usually cheaper to ship possessions, especially interisland, instead of selling things off cheap then having to pay retail to replace them later. The secret is in how much of the work you are willing to do yourself (packing, loading, hiring trucking company(s) to haul container if you ship that much, unloading). With a bit of homework and muscle, you really can move and bring your valued possessions.

Use Y.B.'s website, then give them a call for options on shipping.
                You're right, it would be cheaper to do it all myself. But do you know what I hate most in life? It's moving,there isn't even a close second either! I've moved three times in the past 10 year!!!! Everytime I have moved, it has taken something out of me that will never return. These three times that I have moved, I've done it by myself. I don't ask my friends to help because moving is not something people like doing. Even offers to help I turn down. One time I had to move, I also hada dentist appt. that day too. So I went and had my dental work done then I asked for a few "pain killers"(percodan). My dentist gave me six or eight of those pills,...I went to the neck with them all! Knowing I was moving that day, and knowing that my back would take a pounding at the end of the day. I didn't hesitate at all! From then on I worked from about 10:45 a.m., until I finished moving 8p.m. non stop. Hell, I hate moving so much, I don't even ask my family to help. I mean my wife packs most of the boxes with houshold goods. But make no mistake, I was the "Beast of Burden", who does all the hard work. Now that I'm in my fifties, it hurts just to think about moving!
                But this time it's different! I'm not moving into another rental this time, this time it's for my own home!!! Yes, I finally wised up. I decided to buy my own home. In the last place where there is true affordable housing in Hawaii. I'm moving to the Puna district into a subdivision known as HPP(Hawaiian Paradise Park). It's right in between Kea'au & Pahoa Town.
                I'm getting a brand new custom house(1222sq ft),3 bedroom, and 2 bath with an acre of land! House won't be finished until May or June of 2007. So why am I moving there at the first of the year? Easy. I have the best Agent in the world! While I'm waiting for house to be built, I'll stay for free in another house that is empty that my agent owns right there in HPP too. The best part...I only have to pay the utilities while I wait for new home! If I stayed on Oahu while I wait for home to be built, I'd have to pay $6000.00 in rent over that period plus utilities. That's pretty much closing cost saved right there!

Any way I will make this move one last time. Hopefully this is it. But I have only one month to get my you know what together and make this happen! So I'm open to all moving suggestions.....please!!!!!

Comment

You're right, it would be cheaper to do it all myself. But do you know what I hate most in life? It's moving,there isn't even a close second either! I've moved three times in the past 10 year!!!! Everytime I have moved, it has taken something out of me that will never return. These three times that I have moved, I've done it by myself. I don't ask my friends to help because moving is not something people like doing. Even offers to help I turn down. One time I had to move, I also hada dentist appt. that day too. So I went and had my dental work done then I asked for a few "pain killers"(percodan). My dentist gave me six or eight of those pills,...I went to the neck with them all! Knowing I was moving that day, and knowing that my back would take a pounding at the end of the day. I didn't hesitate at all! From then on I worked from about 10:45 a.m., until I finished moving 8p.m. non stop. Hell, I hate moving so much, I don't even ask my family to help. I mean my wife packs most of the boxes with houshold goods. But make no mistake, I was the "Beast of Burden", who does all the hard work. Now that I'm in my fifties, it hurts just to think about moving!
                  But this time it's different! I'm not moving into another rental this time, this time it's for my own home!!! Yes, I finally wised up. I decided to buy my own home. In the last place where there is true affordable housing in Hawaii. I'm moving to the Puna district into a subdivision known as HPP(Hawaiian Paradise Park). It's right in between Kea'au & Pahoa Town.
                  I'm getting a brand new custom house(1222sq ft),3 bedroom, and 2 bath with an acre of land! House won't be finished until May or June of 2007. So why am I moving there at the first of the year? Easy. I have the best Agent in the world! While I'm waiting for house to be built, I'll stay for free in another house that is empty that my agent owns right there in HPP too. The best part...I only have to pay the utilities while I wait for new home! If I stayed on Oahu while I wait for home to be built, I'd have to pay $6000.00 in rent over that period plus utilities. That's pretty much closing cost saved right there!

Any way I will make this move one last time. Hopefully this is it. But I have only one month to get my you know what together and make this happen! So I'm open to all moving suggestions.....please!!!!!
                  Congrats on moving into your very own home! Even though you hate moving, just remember that you won't have to do it ever again unless you want to, so that should make it a little less painful.

Sounds like everything is going to work out fine for you...maybe that scare you had with your leg was what finally got the stars all lined up in the right conjunction to make all this good stuff happen for you!

Miulang

P.S. Take as little with you as you can and try to sell the rest (especially the furniture, unless it's antique). One thing about moving into a new home...you feel like you have to buy new things for that new home, and having stuff from your old place will make it that much harder to fit that new furniture in there!
                  "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

[QUOTE=Miulang; Take as little with you as you can and try to sell the rest [/QUOTE]

I would disagree completely, especially interisland, unless your current possessions really are basically worthless. For a couple of thousand, you can most likely move EVERYTHING YOU OWN, down to the dishdrainer and half used bottles of soap. If you ship by "size" (ie do it yourself by container) and not by weight (such as by using a moving company), it does not matter how much you bring (if you can fit it in, you can bring it). For our last interisland move we brought everything, and did not have to buy a single "household item" to set up our new home. It was way cheaper to do it that way for us, but that was based upon the fact that our possessions were things that still had at least a couple of years of use. Moving is a strain on the pocketbook - it is buying all the small items that add up so quickly. If you can bring all that stuff, you'll only have very limited out-of-pocket-expenses to set up your new household. So, from personal experience with numerous moves, I'd recommend checking out the cost of moving by container with Young Brothers vs the cost of buying all new household items from soap to couch. Then, compare which is actually going to be cheaper in the long run.

Good luck and keep good thoughts for motivation.

Comment

I'm moving to the Puna district into a subdivision known as HPP(Hawaiian Paradise Park). It's right in between Kea'au & Pahoa Town.
                      Can't offer moving advise, but I would see about just using regular companies like UPS and DHL (be aware that USPS does NOT deliver to HPP, instead it'll sit at the Kea'au post office for a little bit until they ship it back). Just depends on weight and just how much you can justify the costs and what-not. Personally, I'm one of those "write a check for the whole she-bang" cause I'm too lazy to do anything.

Congrats on your purchase!! I'm in HPP as well (17th & Kaloli) and at least its fairly quiet out here. My only gripe is heading home sometimes after 4 pm up to 7 pm at times (it's unpredictable from what I've noticed). Sometimes it backs up quite a bit after the high school...a few weeks ago I guess there was an accident and it was backed up from turning onto 130 to where it merges into one lane and I think that took about an hour to get through. Nothing like Seattle so I can't really complain.
                      ~ Sarah

Comment

Originally posted by Plummy View Post
                        Can't offer moving advise, but I would see about just using regular companies like UPS and DHL (be aware that USPS does NOT deliver to HPP, instead it'll sit at the Kea'au post office for a little bit until they ship it back). Just depends on weight and just how much you can justify the costs and what-not. Personally, I'm one of those "write a check for the whole she-bang" cause I'm too lazy to do anything.

Congrats on your purchase!! I'm in HPP as well (17th & Kaloli) and at least its fairly quiet out here. My only gripe is heading home sometimes after 4 pm up to 7 pm at times (it's unpredictable from what I've noticed). Sometimes it backs up quite a bit after the high school...a few weeks ago I guess there was an accident and it was backed up from turning onto 130 to where it merges into one lane and I think that took about an hour to get through. Nothing like Seattle so I can't really complain.
                        And I think UPS and FedEx won't deliver to that part of the world. One time I was trying to send something to someone in Keaau and had to use the regular US Mail because UPS and FedEx don't deliver to RR boxes (at least that was the case about 3 years ago).

Miulang
                        Last edited by Miulang; November 23, 2006, 07:32 PM.
                        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Everyone has good advice that fits different circumstances. It seems to come down to my original questions, "How much stuff do you want to move, and what is your budget"? And, how much of the work are you willing to do?

If you really don't have much of value, then getting down to a couple of boxes might be fine. But, then you'd have to buy everything new for your house. Yikes.

I still suggest that you call Young Brothers (and visit their website) and check into shipping options. If you need more help, you can PM me. I have moved.... alot! Everything from some boxes that were freight forwarded to full containers.

Welcome to the Big Island!

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                            And I think UPS and FedEx won't deliver to that part of the world. One time I was trying to send something to someone in Keaau and had to use the regular US Mail because UPS and FedEx don't deliver to RR boxes (at least that was the case about 3 years ago).

Miulang
                            For UPS/Fed Ex/DHL, you have to have it sent to a physical address, it can't be a box. It's always been like that no matter where you have something delivered. Otherwise USPS will do it. But there's a huge waiting list (~1 yr) on the boxes out here and they get broken into frequently from what I was told at HOA.

The only problem I'm running into is online ordering and companies keep altering my orders thinking that I really don't want to pay 2nd Day rate to Hawaii and drop it down to USPS Priority and notify me by the time it's too late. Some companies are cool with it and send me a second package, some are extremely rude and say that they have to wait for the box to be returned which we all know takes forever since returned stuff goes on a boat.
                            ~ Sarah

Comment

Originally posted by Plummy View Post
                              For UPS/Fed Ex/DHL, you have to have it sent to a physical address, it can't be a box. It's always been like that no matter where you have something delivered. Otherwise USPS will do it. But there's a huge waiting list (~1 yr) on the boxes out here and they get broken into frequently from what I was told at HOA.

The only problem I'm running into is online ordering and companies keep altering my orders thinking that I really don't want to pay 2nd Day rate to Hawaii and drop it down to USPS Priority and notify me by the time it's too late. Some companies are cool with it and send me a second package, some are extremely rude and say that they have to wait for the box to be returned which we all know takes forever since returned stuff goes on a boat.
                              Aloha Plummy,

What are you doing about your mail? When you first moved there did you have you mail sent to Kea'au Post Office 'General Delivery'? Or are there PO Boxes there to rent? I'll need a physical mail box almost right away for business purposes. Have any ideas?

Comment

Working...
                              X