Warriors: Hawaii vs. Oregon State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warriors: Hawaii vs. Oregon State

A sure sign Hawaii is making waves? A move from ESPN2 to ESPN for the Dec. 2 game against Oregon State.

UH-Oregon State kickoff now 7:05 p.m. on ESPN
    "Considering the fact that ESPN gets into 92 million households, we thought it was a better opportunity to showcase our football team," UH Athletics Director Herman Frazier said.
    I don't know football, but this is one of the games that'll prove whether we're good or just lucky, right?

Re: Warriors: Hawaii vs. Oregon State

Yes this is a big game... considering Oregon State stopped USC's 3 year win streak!

ESPN right on... so who can think of the best sign using the Letters E.S.P.N.?

Everyone
    Say
    Poll
    Now

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123 View Post
      considering Oregon State stopped USC's 3 year win streak!
      And then they lost the very next game to a weaker team... can you say fluke?

Comment

I really hope Oregon State loses! They fall apart easily. I think when they win it is a fluke 1/2 the time. Just luck. Then the other half they actually play!
        Since when is psycho a bad thing??
        Sharing withother survivors...
        www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe View Post
          And then they lost the very next game to a weaker team... can you say fluke?
          The weaker team beating OSU was definately a fluke.

The OSU trouncing of USC was not a fluke.... I watched parts of it!
          OSU dominated from the first series!

Comment

I actually do watch all of the OSU games and they are strong....but not consistently. It's random
            Since when is psycho a bad thing??
            Sharing withother survivors...
            www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

The weaker team beating OSU was definately a fluke.

The OSU trouncing of USC was not a fluke.... I watched parts of it!
              OSU dominated from the first series!
              Trouncing? Far from it. OSU got lucky. It was a fluke, as evidenced by their play the next week against UCLA.

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe View Post
                Trouncing? Far from it. OSU got lucky. It was a fluke, as evidenced by their play the next week against UCLA.
                OSU was up 30 - 10 at one point in the game! Yes it was at home...

And the next week they had to go into the Rose Bowl and Play UCLA which is always tough at home... despite not being that good this year.

UCLA may be coming here for the Holiday bowl if things fall together the way I hope they do... so this game would be a good judge on how we might pair up against them... since UCLA beat OSU...and we have yet to play them.

Comment

OSU was up 30 - 10 at one point in the game! Yes it was at home...

And the next week they had to go into the Rose Bowl and Play UCLA which is always tough at home... despite not being that good this year.

UCLA may be coming here for the Holiday bowl if things fall together the way I hope they do... so this game would be a good judge on how we might pair up against them... since UCLA beat OSU...and we have yet to play them.
                  UCLA is not tough this year, whether they're away or at home. If OSU was such a good team, they should have beat them. They didn't.

As always, your logic is pretty screwy. Seeing UCLA down here for the Hawaii Bowl would make for a good game, but it doesn't say anything about Hawaii's ability to compete with OSU or any other team in the Pac-10.

I wouldn't be surprised to see OSU beat Hawaii, then UCLA come down and beat them as well on Christmas Eve. Hope I'm wrong, though.

Comment

Honestly, no one can make a real assessment of Hawai‘i’s ability until they play San Jose State. The Warriors’ defense really hasn’t been tested by the slew of bottom feeders they’ve been hanging their helmet on. Tomey will have his team ready to play at the stadium he racked up some years in, and against his former assistant, JJ. I say if Nate Illaoa isn’t 100%, look for the running game threat to evaporate, and the game to go down to the wire.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                    USA TODAY, page 2A
                    11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                      I say if Nate Illaoa isn’t 100%, look for the running game threat to evaporate, and the game to go down to the wire.
                      LMAO
                      I predict a blow out by at least 32 points for the San Jose game.

Comment

How is the 7:05 PM kickoff going to help UH's national exposure?

I understand the part of moving the game from ESPN2 to ESPN, in order to reach a larger audience, ESPN owning the larger audience base between it and ESPN2, but moving the game from 6:05 PM to 7:05 PM will make for some absurd kickoff times in half the nation.

A kickoff at 7:05 PM in Honolulu means viewers on the East Coast will be watching the kickoff at 12:05 AM Sunday morning; viewers in Chicago and the Central Time Zone will be watching the kickoff at 11:05 PM.

If the game is one of those non-conference high scoring affair type games that UH seems to play in at the season's end (like the Mich. State and SDSU games of the last two previous seasons), East Coast viewers will be up until at least 4 AM if they watch the game to the end.

I'd think if anything, UH would get more national exposure by starting the game earlier in Hawaii in order to procure a reasonable start time for mainland viewers. As it stands now, half the nation will be in bed when this game kicks off.

I can say this with surety: As I will be at this game, I'm gonna be dragging by the time the 4th quarter is over!

Comment

Originally posted by Surfingfarmboy View Post
                          How is the 7:05 PM kickoff going to help UH's national exposure?
                          Die hard Hawaii fans... and TIVO/DVR people... I guess...

I'd like to see the game start at about 3:00 myself... but oh well!

Comment

Originally posted by Surfingfarmboy View Post
                            I understand the part of moving the game from ESPN2 to ESPN, in order to reach a larger audience, ESPN owning the larger audience base between it and ESPN2, but moving the game from 6:05 PM to 7:05 PM will make for some absurd kickoff times in half the nation.
                            I'm pretty sure the difference in viewership and market penetration between ESPN and ESPN2 (not all cable providers carry the latter) is significant enough to make a single hour change in start time worthwhile. Sure, a 7:05PM HST kickoff means 12:05AM EST... but how much better is that than 11:05PM EST, especially for a four-hour game?

I'm sure sports fans are used to the 24-hour news cycle, and just as hardcore Olympics fans will hang around for 3AM match times on the other side of the planet, big sports fans will stay up for Hawaii v. OSU.

Of course, the primary markets for Hawaii v. OSU are probably Hawaii and Oregon, and for them, the hour-later start time is negligible.

Comment

Just got back from the UH vs. San Jose Game.

Excellent game... with only one costly turnover on a punt return!!!! Get away from the ball if your not gonna field it damnit!

Between the 3rd and the 4th quarter...they had the Vegas football challenge where a fan got a chance to throw a ball from the 5, 10, and 15 yard lines through a small puka in 45 seconds... if he made it... got a trip to vegas....
                              Well with less than 5 seconds on the clock... he made the final 15 yard pass through the puka and won him a trip for two to vegas!

The funniest thing is... he did the Green Bay Packer "Leap into the stands" thing after he made the pass and then started dancing on the rail!!!!

Must have been the best part of the game....

Left with 5 minutes to go and up by about 37...

Did notice that Coach Jones left Colt in for a little longer than normal!!! However, once he hit that 400 yard mark... he pulled him!

One thing the stats won't say.... is there were about 4-5 passes that were literally in UH's receivers hands that got dropped... ! They should have been caught... but oh well.

Good game over all... and fricking 7.00 for a 16 oz cup of Heinekin is damn expensive.... when for 6.50 a few stands over you can get 14 0z. Mai Tai!

Another thing to note... smokers were still smoking inside the "ticketed" area... as their is a "No Re-Entry" policy to the stadium.... so if you are a smoker... you still have to smoke inside the ticketed area....and there was a few areas set up with buckets setup by Aloha stadium officials that said please put Butts here.

Comment

Working...
                              X