Looking for PSAT Tutor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for PSAT Tutor

I need a PSAT tutor for my son who will be taking a test Dec. 9th. Any one got any suggestions? or know people?
    Thanks in advance.

Re: Looking for PSAT Tutor

Check Craigslist Honolulu. There is a person advertising her services as a PSAT/SAT coach @ $40/hr. Type in "PSAT tutor".

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Still looking for a PSAT Tutor. I tried the people on craigslist they don't respond.

Comment

Try Sylvan Learning Center. There are a couple of locations in Honolulu. They do standardized test prep. My question is, why are you looking for a tutor for the PSAT? When I was in high school, the PSAT was "practice" for the SATs...kind of assessing what you needed to brush up for on the SATs the following year.

Also, depending on which college you have in mind, some don't require SAT scores anymore to apply. Some might require ACTs instead or rely more on a student essay and recommendations as well as GPA and extracurricular activities.

There's also Kupono Education Center (if you don't want a national chain like Sylvan)

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

The PSAT is the first part of the screening process for National Merit Scholars. That's not a bad reason to study for it, if you reckon you're close to making the cut.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
            My question is, why are you looking for a tutor for the PSAT? When I was in high school, the PSAT was "practice" for the SATs...kind of assessing what you needed to brush up for on the SATs the following year.

Miulang
            Originally posted by poinographer View Post
            The PSAT is the first part of the screening process for National Merit Scholars. That's not a bad reason to study for it, if you reckon you're close to making the cut.

if i remember correctly, my alma mater had us practicing the PSAT as early as our freshman year. a nice number of the class (yours truly included) qualified as national merit scholar semifinalists. additionally, part of our junior year curriculum was to come in early to school several times to take the tests as if we were doing them for real. and during the summer, PSAT/SAT prep classes were available. i took advantage of the summer course the summer before my junior year and my score jumped 300-ish points. needless to say, i didn't do too shabbily on my SAT or ACT (which was incredibly easier than the SAT and PSAT).

anyway, my point is that we used the Princeton Review's prep books. i clearly remember them being easy to understand and follow and mildly amusing--at least enough to keep a quasi-motivated teen interested, even without benefit of a tutor. so if you can't get a tutor or if it's too late to get your child into a prep class, you should definitely get this book if you haven't already.

hope this helps.
            superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by ericncyn View Post
              additionally, part of our junior year curriculum was to come in early to school several times to take the tests as if we were doing them for real.
              How did you like Iolani?
              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

My son is getting ready to take the PSAT test for a private school.

Thanks for the info i will try to follow up this week.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                  How did you like Iolani?
                  heh.

superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Working...
                  X