Rep. Rangel will seek to reinstate draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rep. Rangel will seek to reinstate draft

Americans would have to sign up for a new military draft after turning 18 under a bill the incoming chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee says he will introduce next year.

Rep. Charles Rangel, D-N.Y., said Sunday he sees his idea as a way to deter politicians from launching wars.

"There's no question in my mind that this president and this administration would never have invaded
    Iraq, especially on the flimsy evidence that was presented to the Congress, if indeed we had a draft and members of Congress and the administration thought that their kids from their communities would be placed in harm's way," Rangel said.
    Source with complete article.

Personally, I'll avoid this like a plague, as I myself don't believe what we're dong is right. I don't care if the draftees will be sent to less hostile locations or given small jobs, but I'm not supporting this one bit.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: Rep. Rangel will seek to reinstate draft

It's just a matter of TIME.

For more information on The Draft check Selective Service at http://www.sss.gov/viet.htm
    "HOW THE DRAFT HAS CHANGED SINCE VIETNAM."

Auntie Lynn
    Last edited by 1stwahine; November 19, 2006, 01:32 PM.
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

"There's no question in my mind that this president and this administration would never have invaded
      Iraq, especially on the flimsy evidence that was presented to the Congress, if indeed we had a draft and members of Congress and the administration thought that their kids from their communities would be placed in harm's way," Rangel said.
      My layperson's opinion; Rangel's either a liar, delusional, or both. Members of Congress and the Administration would simply use their influence to get their kids out of war, under the color of law. Did GW Bush serve in Vietnam? Not that I know of. Did he serve in the Armed Forces? Of course he did! Were his parents worried about his safety throughout his service? Probably not

Comment

This is definitely not the first time it's come up. Each time in the past it's just been political posturing, that sort of "oh, look how bad it could get, you want a draft, let's have a REAL draft". Last attempt I saw, they were trying to extend the draft age to 35 and include women.

Comment

It's a combination political ploy/hard reality if we are to continue our policy of preemptive attacks on countries who are not our friends.

It's a hard reality because many of our current crop of volunteers (both regular and reserve) have been rotated through Iraq and Afghanistan at least 2 times already, and the rest period between deployments is sometimes less than 2 years. Some units are going back a third time. I don't think this is fair. It is causing undue stress to the troops and their families.

It's a political ploy because the Dems know that the Republicans aren't going to go along with this at all, which would put a Democratic candidate for President in 2008 in a favorable position.

The fairest thing for this country would be to put ALL young people between 18-25 into a form of national service, NO exclusions. If a young adult wasn't fit for military duty (or objected to serving in the military), they could still go teach in inner city schools, or work for the forestry service, whatever. But no young adult-- male or female--should be exempt from doing something to help this country in some way.

Israel had a good thing going for awhile where every young adult would have to go into the Israeli Army for a couple of years. But now some families have figured out how to exempt their kids (particularly families living in the cities) from duty, leaving the young people living on kibbutzim as the prime targets for being drafted. If you look at who comprises the IDF today, the majority came from the kibbutzim, where people earn way less money. And this is also what's happening in our all-volunteer Army: kids from lower socioeconomic groups will sign up in larger numbers than those from any other socioeconomic group.

Miulang

P.S. The Army has increased the maximum age of volunteers to 42.
          Last edited by Miulang; November 20, 2006, 09:26 AM.
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456 View Post
            Source with complete article.

Personally, I'll avoid this like a plague, as I myself don't believe what we're dong is right. I don't care if the draftees will be sent to less hostile locations or given small jobs, but I'm not supporting this one bit.
            This will NEVER happen. I believe with 100% confidence that the United States of America will NEVER re-instate the draft under any circumstances. Especially when such a bill will NEVER pass!! I know one thing, I will NEVER serve! I dont like having a military on pacifist principle. I will die a civilian than serve. Korean War, Vietnam War, and this War, all based on stupidity. All modern wars are based on some greedy politicans and after seeing Michael Moore, I got my head on straight. I suggest you all see Ferignheight 9-11

It is all paranoia, and unless you have volunteered out of your own free will at any given point, you have absolutely nothing to worry about.

Case closed.
            Last edited by Shaun; November 20, 2006, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaun View Post
              This will NEVER happen. I believe with 100% confidence that the United States of America will NEVER re-instate the draft under any circumstances. Especially when such a bill will NEVER pass!! I know one thing, I will NEVER serve! I dont like having a military on pacifist principle. I will die a civilian than serve. Korean War, Vietnam War, and this War, all based on stupidity. All modern wars are based on some greedy politicans and after seeing Michael Moore, I got my head on straight. I suggest you all see Ferignheight 9-11

It is all paranoia, and unless you have volunteered out of your own free will at any given point, you have absolutely nothing to worry about.

Case closed.
              Um, Shaun, you must be in your 20s. Too bad for you that you have to live in times like these at your age, but the National Services bill would still mean you'd have to go teach in an inner city or do some sort of national service even if you objected to being in the military. But it's fair for every young person to do something to help his/her country. And national service wouldn't only apply to wartime, either. It would happen for every single American between the ages of 18-25 even if we weren't fighting wars in Iraq or Afghanistan.

Miulang
              Last edited by Miulang; November 20, 2006, 10:24 AM.
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                Um, Shaun, you must be in your 20s. Too bad for you that you have to live in times like these at your age, but the National Services bill would still mean you'd have to go teach in an inner city or do some sort of national service even if you objected to being in the military. But it's fair for every young person to do something to help his/her country. And national service wouldn't only apply to wartime, either. It would happen for every single American between the ages of 18-25 even if we weren't fighting wars in Iraq or Afghanistan.

Miulang
                Oh, I would be happy to teach Japanese to AJA's and do no fighting as part of civil service! I will not wear some stupid chevrons or any of that stuff. Addressing people according to rank, and titles is so dehumanizing it is not even funny! Or I would be happy to preach the Gospel to some inner city areas where they are in need of Jesus Christ. The only warfare I would engage in is Spiritual Warfare. The battle is not that of flesh and blood, but that of principalities and powers. I feel that if everyone had Jesus Christ in their hearts, there would be no need for war.
                Last edited by Shaun; November 20, 2006, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Oh, I would be happy to teach Japanese to AJA's and do no fighting!
                  Um, no, that's not the kind of teaching you would probably be doing. Not much call for the Japanese language in an inner city school in Chicago!

Miulang

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                    Um, no, that's not the kind of teaching you would probably be doing. Not much call for the Japanese language in an inner city school in Chicago!

Miulang
                    Then the Gospel of Jesus Christ it is!! The only way to clean up the inner city is through the Gospel, and handing out free frood. Maybe I gotta be a Big Brother or work for the United Way. But I will NOT wear any rank on my shoulderboards!!
                    "I am the way and the light, no one comes through the Lord, but through me" --John.
                    Last edited by Shaun; November 20, 2006, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Then the Gospel of Jesus Christ it is!! The only way to clean up the inner city is through the Gospel, and handing out free frood.
                      "I am the way and the light, no one comes through the Lord, but through me" --John.
                      Public Service.... NOT DIS-SERVICE!

Spreading religion would never be part of National Services!

Comment

I take back what I said elsewhere, Shaun.

Go back to your cartoons.

Or hand out "free frood." (Just teasing...)

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                          I take back what I said elsewhere, Shaun.

Go back to your cartoons.

Or hand out "free frood." (Just teasing...)
                          Don't forget his Ne Ne Bottle!

Auntie Lynn
                          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Then the Gospel of Jesus Christ it is!! The only way to clean up the inner city is through the Gospel, and handing out free frood. Maybe I gotta be a Big Brother or work for the United Way. But I will NOT wear any rank on my shoulderboards!!
                            Try again...in a public school (and that's what they mean by inner city), no religious teaching is allowed. "Separation of church and state"...read the Constitution.

Miulang

Comment

The only warfare I would engage in is Spiritual Warfare. The battle is not that of flesh and blood, but that of principalities and powers.
                              Remember Shaun, the terrorists are idealists. They justify their violence as an islamic jihad (holy war) against the infidels (Christians, Jews, Zionists). Islamic fundamentalism, while not reflective of the Muslim population at large, is the driving force behind organizations like Al Qaeda and the Taliban.

Is that who were fighting in Iraq? Of course not. But the dissolution of the Iraqi HR infrastructure by Paul Bremer with the blessing of President Bush was the straw that broke the camel’s back, leading the fragmented country on a certain path to civil war. And Iran (a known terrorism financier) is only to happy to harvest the millions of disillusioned Shiite Muslims in Iraq into an anti-West agenda.

So be careful what you wish for. The Crusades were “Spiritual Warfare” sanctioned by the Pope. Is that what you’re advocating?

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                              USA TODAY, page 2A
                              11 March 1993

Comment

Working...
                              X