Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where do you stand on the issue of abortion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do you stand on the issue of abortion?

I won't chime in with my opinion yet, but where do you stand? For or Against?
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: Where do you stand on the issue of abortion?

I'm married to a Catholic so I've had mixed feelings about this issue. I do feel that the woman should have a right to choose what to do with her own body. In cases of rape I also feel for the woman. And there are those who ask when does the egg become a "human"?
    Retired Senior Member

Comment

Its all about NUNYA!! Its nun ya dam business what a woman does with her own body. It is between her and her Lord. I say DAMN those potholes !

Last edited by ARMYPEON; June 16, 2004, 01:57 PM.
      "When In Doubt Hit Alt F4"

Comment

It's the woman's choice as to what she should do. It's hard enough to decide to abort a pregnancy without making it illegal to boot.

Comment

I believe in pro choice. As long as she knows she has choices like adoption or assistance to help raise the child but it's still her choice.

Comment

If it was an accident, then she could of took some pills to stop the pregnancy, instead of waiting and suffering the pains just to abort at birth.

If it was "planned" (the boyfriend or husband did it knowing it'll produce something) then they should have worn protection.
            How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Totally up to the pregnant woman, although it's wonderful if she and the man responsible could agree on the option.

Comment

I'm with Mocha, also.
                I have mixed feeling towards it.
                what if rape becomes an issue?
                will she have time to prevent it?.
                Can't just be for or against it.
                You have to look at the whole
                picture first, then decide
                at the situation at hand.
                Aches & Pains
                (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

Comment

Agreed, the issue is not always an easy case to make judgement call on. I am 47 and did commit abortion in the late seventies, as a young adult. I feel guilty, and know it was wrong. The baby/fetus they call it was NOT given any painkiller before the procedure. Try doing this to any pregnant animals and many of the same people that say they are for abortion will scream bloody murder, I bet! what hypocrisy.

I am told that many couples that are trying to have a baby but failing, are taught relaxation techniques because stress can keep them from conceiving. This makes it look like the horrible stress of rape must be the reason that pregnancy from rape is not a high incidence, yet of course it must be possible. THIS is the one case I hold an open mind to the right of abortion, while taking great issue with the vast amount of young girls that use abortion as birth control. What a damnable selfish way to be! this should be illegal.

As a teen in the seventies, I knew several girls that had more than one abortion during jr. high and high school. There is no excuse for the slutty people to not use birth control. I know planned parenthood and other places will give it out for free, or whatever the girl can afford. I hear girls say things like that the IUD scared them, the other stuff was unreliable, and that the pill could cause clotting and other problems, like that they shouldn't take it if they smoked, so they played with the rhythm method and used abortion as a backup if they got pregnant.

Abortion is murder and it is wrong the majority of the time. (that partial-birth abortion is so horrible that I, as an adult, didn't believe it was literally what it was, even when reading about it in the news, at first! Personally, makes me feel no wonder there is a literal hell. Yes, some people will deserve it.)
                  Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Just for the record, I don't like the way the question is phrased. As far as I know, not even the most adamant pro-choice person is "pro-abortion."

I'm pro-choice, but I'm like (I think) most people on my side; I want them legal but seldom-used, and I want them done at the sole discretion of the woman. I don't want the state involved, whether at the local, state, or federal level.
                    http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by Karen
                      Abortion is murder and it is wrong the majority of the time. (that partial-birth abortion is so horrible that I, as an adult, didn't believe it was literally what it was, even when reading about it in the news, at first! Personally, makes me feel no wonder there is a literal hell. Yes, some people will deserve it.)
                      I echo your sentiment on this very thorny issue. For me the life on an unborn baby at any age after conception is sacred. That life should not be taken away before birth unless the pregnancy was forced upon the woman.
                      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel
                        I echo your sentiment on this very thorny issue. For me the life on an unborn baby at any age after conception is sacred. That life should not be taken away before birth unless the pregnancy was forced upon the woman.
                        Mel, may I ask... exactly why is the life of an embryo sacred? What qualities make it sacred? I do not want to turn this thread into an abortion flamewar; I genuinely would like to understand your position.

Comment

I have no need to explain my position as you with yours. I don't want to start a flame war here either. Sometimes that is why these kinds of topics are started, just to get everyone all riled up.
                          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Fair enough.

Comment

True, starting a thread on abortion often seems as pointless an excersize as asking, "What's better, PCs or Macs?" But, I think so far we've seen a reasonable effort to express one's views without outright attacking people who hold the opposite position. FWIW, I think Glen's inquiry was a pretty earnest attempt at learning something, rather than some kind of aggressive challenge to Mel to explain himself.

I don't believe life begins at conception, but then again, I can get backed into a corner pretty quickly if asked to pick a moment when I think a fertilized egg does become a person. But, hard and fast rules are hard to come by for both sides. When you get into exemptions for rape, or birth defects, risk to the mother's life, etc., you also start getting into a grey area that's hard to navigate when it comes to drafting and enforcing laws.

I agree with Glen in that I believe abortions should be legal, but certainly not "popular." I might be staunchly pro-choice, but I confess to being disturbed by the "When One Is Enough" column controversy a few weeks back. If abortions become too prevalent or used too casually, though, I think the problem lies in our values, not in the existence of the medical procedure.

The way I see it is, even ifI felt life begins at conception, what I think and believe does not a fact or moral absolute make. If I were pro-life, the solution would be to help other women to see things my way but still choose themselves that abortion is the wrong decision - to "choose life," as it were.

Trying to legislate away a woman's control over her own body just seems ridiculous to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X